BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel system

4 posters

Go down

Fuel system Empty Fuel system

Post  schmitty January 30th 2011, 9:27 pm

What am I going to need for the fuel system for the new engine? I know the Holley blue is not going to be on there anymore. I have a -8 line going from the fuel cell to the carb, is that enough? Would it be better to run a bypass regulator? What pump?
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Fuel system Empty Re: Fuel system

Post  richter69 January 30th 2011, 11:15 pm

it needs a belt pump and a barrel valve............... Wink cheers
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 30th 2011, 11:23 pm

I kicked that idea around a little, but there are not enough advantages to outweigh the disadvantages. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 30th 2011, 11:30 pm

you been talking to the wrong people........... Smile
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY January 30th 2011, 11:44 pm

good read I did not write it but I agree with it to some extent Smile

ALL hydrocarbon fuels have very very close to the same energy release potential. Thats because all you are doing is breaking the bonds between the elements hydrogen and carbon and recombining those 2 elements with oxygen. The thing that makes fuels different is the arrangement of the elements inside the molecule. The arrangement is what determines the energy needed to start the combustion process. It controls the amount of heat needed to turn the fuel into gas etc. And the arrangment or the complexity of the molecule determines the number of possible compounds that can be created during the combustion process. During the combustion process thousands of other chemicals are created just momentarily as the molecules become whittled away on their journey to become CO2 and water. Because the final products are CO2 and Water there is no difference in energy production of any of the fuels if you achieve complete combustion.
So know your saying to yourself ' well how come there is power differences with different fuels?' Well thats because you can compress the different fuels more or less, Its the compression that changes the power. More compression is more power. Now you probably all know that filling a cylinder more also results in more compression. Its the mass of air that gets compressed that matters. You have to have a fuel to match that and you have to have a fuel that turns to gas at the right time to allow it to be homogenized in the cylinder. There is no way you can compare a methanol engine to a gasoline one. The fuels are too far different in energy needs to work optimally in the one engine.

If you dont achieve combustion of whatever fuel your using to the correct exhaust gas relationship for the limitations of the engine then your leaving power on the table.

People often talk about the mass of Methanol in the port as a restriction to flow. If you care to work out how much fuel actually goes into your cylinder per stroke you'll be surprised how tiny it is. Liquid fuel takes up such small space it can be discounted, gaseous state fuel is another story though. There are problems with homogenization of the fuel and air depending if the fuel is liquid or gas going through the valve curtain area. Gas is good for homogenization but it reduces volumetric efficiency of the area. Its difficult with a carb to control gassing in the intake manifold whereas its easy with injection.
When people play around with larger ports or valves for methanol what they are doing is reducing the gasification in those areas but that comes at the price of now you have more liquid in the chamber and that reduces your burn efficiency so see what I mean about the engine design for methanol is not compatible to gasoline.

To date I have never seen a Methanol engine with correct exhaust gas relationship, thats because none of them actually achieve correct Methanol combustion.
The reason why methanol picks up power in the low RPM range (eg more torque) is because there is more TIME of compression. Time is important because you need time for the convection process of heat transfer. There is also the greater cylinder filling efficiency at RPM's around max torque that happens as well and the methanol likes that extra mass compression. Basically the problem with methanol is turning it into gas early enough, thats why it works in blown engines, you can heat it up in the intake, and really heat it up during the cylinder compression because the mass is very high so it turns to gas.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 31st 2011, 12:09 am

schmitty wrote:What am I going to need for the fuel system for the new engine? I know the Holley blue is not going to be on there anymore. I have a -8 line going from the fuel cell to the carb, is that enough? Would it be better to run a bypass regulator? What pump?

Rob,you will probably need a -10 on the inlet to the regulator and -8's going to the carb. From what i've learned this past summer,whatever fuel pump you use,be sure it has a relay on it. I finally did away w/my bypass reg. and used the bypass at the fuelpump to the tank and it solved my starvation problems. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down