BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford 9" set-up

4 posters

Go down

Ford 9" set-up Empty Ford 9" set-up

Post  460bronco February 10th 2011, 7:36 pm

I'm about to put my first set of gears in a ford 9" and had a quick question.

When moving my ring gear left and right with the adjuster nuts during set-up, how tight do the main cap bolts need to be? Are they just snug or do they need to be almost fully torqued down? Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Ford 9" set-up Empty Re: Ford 9" set-up

Post  fordman460 February 10th 2011, 8:41 pm

Snugged or 25 lbs or so. Almost fully torqued and ya couldn't move them.
fordman460
fordman460

Back to top Go down

Post  strokedmyford February 10th 2011, 9:47 pm

They should be torqued down on final readings. They may be snug up untill your close to the spec you want then torque down take a reading and loosen to adjust. Some cases the nuts will turn with a torqued down cap. With the preload that should be on the side bearings tends to flex the case a bit and with a snug cap the readings will change when you torque em down. Be sure not to cross thread the adjuster nuts its easy to do.
strokedmyford
strokedmyford

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 11th 2011, 9:13 pm

It depends on if I'm just doing the initial gear setup (playing with depth shims/back lash settings) or I'm happy with the pattern and am doing the final setup.

If it's just the initial gear setup I wiggle the caps/adjusters while snugging down the bolts by hand. Then with the adjusters spinning as freely as possible I crank down on the cap bolts a bunch by hand a decent amount (wild guess on torque number).

If it's the final setup I wiggle the caps/adjusters while snugging down the bolts by hand. Then with the adjusters spinning as freely as possible I torque the cap bolts to the desired number.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down