BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us your routine

+16
JACKAZZFLATZ
cletus66
patfromjersey
56Tbird
nuclearcobra
LivermoreDave
'65 T-BOLT
cool40
knrclark
342g
richter69
Curt
bb429power
BigDave65
maverick
bigblockfox468
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tell us your routine Empty Tell us your routine

Post  bigblockfox468 March 5th 2011, 3:17 pm

When you get to the track to run....like what do you do, check, how do you warm up, how long,etc. etc. etc.
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Tell us your routine Empty Re: Tell us your routine

Post  maverick March 5th 2011, 5:50 pm

I figure all the "checkin'" (at least to start with) should have been done in the garage. I think it's silly to trailer a racecar to the track, unload it and take it apart. Rolling Eyes I figure that's what weekdays are for. Laughing

I drive the car through the pits to circulate fluids (rear end) and warm the engine to about 180*. Most important to me is to get some heat in the oil. Flogging a cold engine (or one with cold oil) is a no-no for me. Not too much heat in the 'glide, though. A cool trans is a happy trans. Tire pressure is last thing to check before a pass.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 March 5th 2011, 6:04 pm

I do pretty much the same thing as Maverick. About an hour before my first practice run, I'll make a couple laps around the pits with just the water pump running, get it up to 180*. Get back to pit and turn off water pump and let it just cool down slowly. Hook up battery charger, make sure all 4 tires have enough air in them, fuel up and wait to make first run. I usually make 1 practice run, run the dash-for-cash, then go into first round. I wouldn't even pull the hood if I didn't have a front mounted fuel cell, not until later rounds at least.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 March 5th 2011, 6:17 pm

maverick wrote:I figure all the "checkin'" (at least to start with) should have been done in the garage. I think it's silly to trailer a racecar to the track, unload it and take it apart. Rolling Eyes I figure that's what weekdays are for. Laughing

I drive the car through the pits to circulate fluids (rear end) and warm the engine to about 180*. Most important to me is to get some heat in the oil. Flogging a cold engine (or one with cold oil) is a no-no for me. Not too much heat in the 'glide, though. A cool trans is a happy trans. Tire pressure is last thing to check before a pass.

I agree with what you say in your first paragragh first.

I was actually looking for what you said in your second paragraph and what bigDave has said also. This Snake engine I now have I've never had anything like it before Shocked . I just want to make sure I'm treating it right before I drive like I stole it so it treats me right .
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power March 5th 2011, 6:18 pm

That's a good idea about getting the axle warmed up, I will have to do that next time I race. That may be part of my posi problem...
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 5th 2011, 6:19 pm

I plug the heaters in and go to the snack shack. Razz
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 5th 2011, 8:25 pm

As soon as I park the rig I fire up the genny and plug the block and oil pan heaters in, unload everything, jack up the rear and by then its good and warmed up. I run the motor (on gas) and warm the trans fluid, diff etc, work t brake a few times............as stated not much to check as its all done before we go.

top off fuel, check tire press, drag it to the lanes and let it rip..........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 5th 2011, 8:32 pm

richter69 wrote:As soon as I park the rig I fire up the genny and plug the block and oil pan heaters in, unload everything, jack up the rear and by then its good and warmed up. I run the motor (on gas) and warm the trans fluid, diff etc, work t brake a few times............as stated not much to check as its all done before we go.

top off fuel, check tire press, drag it to the lanes and let it rip..........

i JUST LET THE PIT CREW DO EVERYTHING, THEY SAY i GET IN THE WAY, SO i DRINK COFFEE, AND TURN ON THE WIN LIGHTS. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Tell us your routine Empty Warm up

Post  knrclark March 5th 2011, 10:58 pm

Basically same as everyone else. Drive around on gas warm and circulate everything. I have found that if I run my car without a warm up it falls on it's face. After warming up top off fuel and check air pressures before first pass.
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 6th 2011, 1:04 am

BigDave65 wrote:I do pretty much the same thing as Maverick. About an hour before my first practice run, I'll make a couple laps around the pits with just the water pump running, get it up to 180*. Get back to pit and turn off water pump and let it just cool down slowly. Hook up battery charger, make sure all 4 tires have enough air in them, fuel up and wait to make first run. I usually make 1 practice run, run the dash-for-cash, then go into first round. I wouldn't even pull the hood if I didn't have a front mounted fuel cell, not until later rounds at least.
me too! Very Happy if i'm late i'll go to the lane and let it run while i wait my turn.now that i have alky i'm one of those assholes that chokes everybody. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 6th 2011, 1:22 am

mine is all warmed up from driving it to the track! about 7 miles!! check air pressures and let r eat!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 6th 2011, 8:40 am

Curt wrote:I plug the heaters in and go to the snack shack. Razz

Curt and I start our day at the track about the same! Then after a few minutes of enjoying the "track food", it happens, a mad dash to the restroom! Now I'm just getting comfortable in the rest room and I hear the announcer, " drivers in your cars and buckle up"! What the hell? What happen to first, second and final call to the lanes? Must been announced during the excitement of recycling the track food! Have you ever noticed how the track rest rooms sound like a thunder storm has moved in or does everyone enjoy "track food" first thing at the track?

Dave. Embarassed

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra March 6th 2011, 9:01 am

Wow sounds like your track only serves mexican food Laughing
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 6th 2011, 9:11 am

Sounds like IBS....Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Laughing Track food usually stops me up like a kick in the 'nads stops everything. Shocked Razz

Last edited by maverick on March 6th 2011, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird March 6th 2011, 9:42 am

Go to track ....Run as many time runs as possible...Race...Get Check..Go again tomorrow ...Work on car ALL week king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey March 6th 2011, 10:36 am

Nice Dan; that's pretty much how it goes for you. king cheers

Harold, you forgot the part how Mark will cook the steaks, before he checks your tire pressure. lol!
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 March 6th 2011, 10:42 am

I check everythnig before we go. Unload the 4 wheeler and car and warm it up by driving it around a bit. I check air pressure right before running. After making a few passes and fiinding out exactly what the car will do with whatever changes I have made, I start to get jealous because Ellen is on her 4th beer, and I haven't had any. Then I make it through too many rounds without being eliminated, and start to get irritated because Ellen is on her 9th beer, and I'm still sober. Finally I get eliminated and the party starts when we get home. Very Happy
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey March 6th 2011, 10:50 am

Too funny Jeff. Laughing I still remember that first Bash you and Ellen went to, and my father and I had such a great time with you two. I was surprised Ellen still had her ears on when she left, because I thought Dad talked them off. Very Happy lol!
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 6th 2011, 2:48 pm

patfromjersey wrote:Nice Dan; that's pretty much how it goes for you. king cheers

Harold, you forgot the part how Mark will cook the steaks, before he checks your tire pressure. lol!

You are right, I forgot that part, but I could not see him, I was at Rick's trailer drinking Coffee with Sooz. Laughing
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 March 6th 2011, 3:05 pm

patfromjersey wrote:Too funny Jeff. Laughing I still remember that first Bash you and Ellen went to, and my father and I had such a great time with you two. I was surprised Ellen still had her ears on when she left, because I thought Dad talked them off. Very Happy lol!

That was the first time my car ever rolled on asphalt. We were still putting it together in the pits. Laughing We hope to be back eventually.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  JACKAZZFLATZ March 7th 2011, 4:44 pm

Youse guyz have food at your track ???
We've got free range hogs on the other side of the back fence.!!.
ALWAYS let my junk warm up. If'n it dont, the first time trial is a give away. Everything is too cold to be consistent.
JACKAZZFLATZ
JACKAZZFLATZ

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power March 7th 2011, 6:10 pm

JACKAZZFLATZ wrote:Youse guyz have food at your track ???
We've got free range hogs on the other side of the back fence.!!.
ALWAYS let my junk warm up. If'n it dont, the first time trial is a give away. Everything is too cold to be consistent.
come down to Milan more often Razz you've been there, there are about 10 food stands Laughing
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 8th 2011, 12:18 am

quote="JACKAZZFLATZ"]

Thats a FACT Jack

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 March 8th 2011, 10:53 am

bb429power wrote:That's a good idea about getting the axle warmed up, I will have to do that next time I race. That may be part of my posi problem...

posi? get rid of the chevy rear,lol
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  D's557BBF March 8th 2011, 1:09 pm

342g wrote:
i JUST LET THE PIT CREW DO EVERYTHING, THEY SAY i GET IN THE WAY, SO i DRINK COFFEE, AND TURN ON THE WIN LIGHTS. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Hecks yeah, you the man Harold!!
D's557BBF
D's557BBF

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum