BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car. Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back?

5 posters

Go down

Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car.  Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back? Empty Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car. Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back?

Post  Greg_P March 7th 2011, 1:11 pm

Not a fan of the bubble glass on the Capri. Ideally I would like to keep the Capri front end and add Mustang taillights and hatch. Can it be done.

Also want to install my 545 in it. Drag race only what are guys doing to get in the mid to low 9's? Suspension and cage wise? How much do the cars weigh stripped with lexan?

This is new territory for me, so sorry for the basic questions.

Greg

Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car.  Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back? Empty Re: Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car. Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back?

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy March 7th 2011, 1:56 pm

I had a 84 Capri once and looked into this swap and the best I could tell was yes, the Mustang and Capri hatch interchange.

I took that bubble hatch off by myself.............once. Shocked heavvvvvyyyyy !!!
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car.  Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back? Empty Re: Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car. Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back?

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 7th 2011, 5:30 pm

an I wanted a Capri notchback! so I took my 80 stang and added the nose and hood from the capri...looked damn good..I miss that car, a project I never finished
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 March 8th 2011, 11:04 am

Yes the hatch will fit. This is an LX hatch on an '86 Capri. I'm not sure if the bumper cover trim will match the trim around the side marker lights. I haven't pursued it that far yet.

Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car.  Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back? 100_7310

I might go out there and dig around later. I'll post a pic of the trim if it looks like it will work.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 March 8th 2011, 11:49 am

I stuck an 85-86 Mustang bumper cover up next to the 86 Capri. It looks very close. If it ain't 100%, I still doubt if anybody would notice. The Mustang cover is crooked sitting up on one jackstand. I looked at my '87-93 stuff, and it is totally different with a wide slot near the top instead of this style.

Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car.  Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back? 101_7793

I also noticed that Sping is coming !!!!! cheers Last Fall, Ellen aerated, fertilized, and put down seed around Jeff Land. Now it is really starting to pop. Very Happy

Thinking about an '84 Capri for a drag car.  Can a Mustang hatch fit on the back? 101_7794

Compare this pic to the first one. The Capri is in the same spot. Laughing Now maybe somebody can get back on subject with some suspension info. I'm no help there. Laughing

cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power March 8th 2011, 4:33 pm

I don't know if this is a fox body hatch. This is my machinists old car and me and my dad did all the bodywork on it. If you need any ideas...
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335294

I can get you pictures of it in primer if you want, check out the moulding panels on the quarter and how we matched them to the bumpers... Wink The car was built to go 8's in the 1/4, not trying to tell you how to build yours though Smile
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 March 8th 2011, 6:21 pm

By the way, Greg, how tall are you? Keep this in mind when you are picking a car.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down