BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coated headers and cam break-in

2 posters

Go down

coated headers and cam break-in Empty coated headers and cam break-in

Post  pickleweasel September 4th 2009, 5:24 pm

Just recieved my shiny new pair od coated Hooker headers. Upon browsing the instruction sheet the made it a point to say that breaking in a camshaft on these brand new headers could and most likely will ruin the coating, saying it takes several heat cycles to fully cure the coating. As expensive as they were, I would rather not take a chance of ruining them first thing. So, would it be acceptable to find an old set of manifolds and mock up a quick exhaust to break in the cam and then install the headers? having trouble finding a pair of cheap shorty headers and would only use them once anyways. But it's a slightly aggresive cam, around .615-.635 intake and exhaust I believe, and 288-295 duration. Not the exact numbers since I dont have the cam card in front of me but pretty close to that. Anyways, would an old pair of manifolds work ok?

pickleweasel

Back to top Go down

coated headers and cam break-in Empty Re: coated headers and cam break-in

Post  IcallhimGeorge September 4th 2009, 6:00 pm

I broke in my cam with jethot coated headers I cant tell where the coating faded. I got the 1300* coating though.
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down