BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media blasting of flexible plastic bodywork?

5 posters

Go down

Media blasting of flexible plastic bodywork? Empty Media blasting of flexible plastic bodywork?

Post  GTmustang April 19th 2011, 7:36 am

I'd like to remove the paint from the flexible plastic bumpers and sideskirts on my !992 Mustang GT. I figure that it would be a good idea to clean all the old paint from the bodywork so that the paint chips and other defects in the original paint doesn't come back to haunt me when I get the car repainted. Is anyone familiar with media blasting with plastic media?
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Media blasting of flexible plastic bodywork? Empty Re: Media blasting of flexible plastic bodywork?

Post  PROSTREET66 April 19th 2011, 7:58 am

I would be careful and turn down the air pressure hold the gun a little farther away and do a test as not to warp the piece.I do alot of glass beading in my cabinet,but not to experenced on plastic.Just take it slow and you should be alright.
PROSTREET66
PROSTREET66

Back to top Go down

Media blasting of flexible plastic bodywork? Empty Re: Media blasting of flexible plastic bodywork?

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 19th 2011, 9:48 am

I had mine soda blasted, worked real good but expensive.
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs April 19th 2011, 10:23 am

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:I had mine soda blasted, worked real good but expensive.

Soda blasting does a great job, but bring a big billfold! I didn't ask what it was going to cost on a recent job I had done, to say I was shocked by the bill would be an understatement!
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl April 19th 2011, 11:21 am

cost me $200 for the frt & rear bumper covers
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang April 19th 2011, 12:59 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:cost me $200 for the frt & rear bumper covers
Frank
What did they use to blast them?
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl April 19th 2011, 1:13 pm

100-200 grit glass
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum