BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

early morning tech help! pilot bearing/bushing

5 posters

Go down

early morning tech help!  pilot bearing/bushing Empty early morning tech help! pilot bearing/bushing

Post  frank13 May 7th 2011, 7:17 am

which on to use, bearing style or bushing?

also, is there a preferred one to get. the last one was a pilot bearing with roller bearing and it had to get forcibly installed (alot more force than i was comfortable with) I think i may have had the wrong one after the fact.

the crank is a stock oem ford internal balance crank. trans is a t56

i am replacing the flywheel on my car today finally and the bearing in there is in two pieces when i pulled the trans (the roller became dislodged from the outer bushing)

thanks for any quick responses
frank13
frank13

http://www.frankskinkracing.com

Back to top Go down

early morning tech help!  pilot bearing/bushing Empty Re: early morning tech help! pilot bearing/bushing

Post  LivermoreDave May 7th 2011, 12:19 pm

frank13 wrote:which on to use, bearing style or bushing?

also, is there a preferred one to get. the last one was a pilot bearing with roller bearing and it had to get forcibly installed (alot more force than i was comfortable with) I think i may have had the wrong one after the fact.

the crank is a stock oem ford internal balance crank. trans is a t56

i am replacing the flywheel on my car today finally and the bearing in there is in two pieces when i pulled the trans (the roller became dislodged from the outer bushing)

thanks for any quick responses

Frank you probably know tons more about the pilot bearing issues than I. With that said, I do like the "upgrade" of the rollerized pilot bearing. Myself I would take that route. Although you mentioned the possibility of the wrong bearing application and the excessive effort required to install it, may have led to it's demise! I would think that a "rollerized pilot bearing" would fit the crankshaft snug since the idea of a bearing is for the rollers to rotate, not the "fit portion" (crankshaft contacted race or input shaft race). Also I think the input shaft would like the "rollerized bearing" much more than the bushing. Damn, I blabbing on and on again! My vote is for the BEARING.

Blabbing Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

early morning tech help!  pilot bearing/bushing Empty Re: early morning tech help! pilot bearing/bushing

Post  zbob May 7th 2011, 7:18 pm

i like bushings, lol. probably a hold over from my fractional horsepower electric motor days...bobn

zbob

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 May 7th 2011, 8:00 pm

anyone have any input on which one to ask for car/truck wise (model, year, ect)

no one had one in stock today at either boys, autozone or advance, and napa closed at 2

but the old is out (3 pieces after drilling it out so it is of no use to check against!
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 May 8th 2011, 2:07 am

i like the brass bushing the best if you can find one
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH May 9th 2011, 8:32 am

what crank/year ? large pilot older cranks ... same as 390 (all FE's) can find 429/460 in the book , ask for 390

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 May 9th 2011, 8:16 pm

its an internal balance stock crank
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down