BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

data logger?

+8
KY JELLY
whatbumper
David Cole
bb429power
fastracecars
Wheelie58
Frank Kramer
cool40
12 posters

Go down

data logger? Empty data logger?

Post  cool40 June 20th 2011, 11:02 pm

i'm thinking about a data logger for the car and wanted some idea where to start.what kind,brand,and price! thanks Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

data logger? Empty Re: data logger?

Post  Frank Kramer June 21st 2011, 6:57 am

racepak with V-net

they have different models at different prices so it depends what you want to measure, their Sportsman is the most simple to start with but the IQ3 dash logger is also an interesting logger.

Frank
Frank Kramer
Frank Kramer

http://www.seasideaffair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 June 21st 2011, 7:16 am

There are a few companies offering data aquisition systems. The only experience that I have is with Racepak.
I have the V300 SD model and have no complaints at all. After I purchased the V300, they released the Sportsman model. That is the best deal for general sportsman racing in most cases.
"Sportsman kit (with Engine RPM, Driveshaft RPM, 2 G-meters and Battery Volts).....$699"
Most of the pressures and things that you will want to monitor cost about $249 each...additional. You can learn a lot, even with the basic engine and driveshaft rpm. I tend to look at those 2 items along with EGT and trans temps, more than other fields. The more things monitored...the more it costs....
If you look around at other brands, ask about support and company history and reputation. Also ask how the information gets to your computer. Other products have you string a cable to the car after each pass. The Racepak Sportsman and V300 use a simple SD data card to transfer the file. After the pass, you snatch the card as you leave the car, and download the run as you log your normal time slip info. It is the coolest feature.
If you wish, you can add a Ultra Dash digits dashboard..it plugs right in.

You can find lots of information at the Racepak web site. http://www.racepak.com
Here is a link to one of their tech forums, comparing V300 with Sportsman. http://www.racepak.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471

My contact at Racepak is Eric Lowe. He can be reached at 949-709-5555 or at elowe@racepak.com
If you call, please mention that I sent you to them. Eric has been great with guidance on the use of the system. Todd Paton has also been a great help. Todd provides support at NHRA national events. He fixed a damaged harness for me this summer in only a few minutes.
I hope this helps. Call with any questions.
Keith - 678-458-2033
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

data logger? Empty Data Logger

Post  fastracecars June 21st 2011, 9:36 am

We have a Racepak Sportsman unit. It has saved us about 4 times what it cost after the first time we were able to determine the engine was grabbing a bearing. The amount of clutch knowledge is immeasurable.

www.dragstreheaders.com
fastracecars
fastracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power June 21st 2011, 9:52 am

fastracecars wrote:We have a Racepak Sportsman unit. It has saved us about 4 times what it cost after the first time we were able to determine the engine was grabbing a bearing. The amount of clutch knowledge is immeasurable.

www.dragstreheaders.com
www.dragsterheaders.com
You had the e and the r switched Smile Not to be a dick or anything, just making sure people can find it Laughing
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole June 21st 2011, 9:53 am

I was on a budget (still am). I bought an Altronics O2 Alert. It's main function is as an A/F ratio meter/logger. But, it's also a poor man's data logger. It records a/f ratio (comes with one sensor, but is set up for 2) , rpm, egt and voltage. It also has 2 open channels that you can use for anything you want when you buy the correct sensors. I plan on driveshaft rpm and vacuum. Works pretty good fro the price. Mail order w racer discount it's around $420

http://www.altronicsinc.com/
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 21st 2011, 12:08 pm

This is included with most efi systems.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY June 21st 2011, 12:12 pm

I like the looks of the data quest by altronics and the informer, but I don't have one just the red alert Rolling Eyes
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 21st 2011, 12:38 pm

I dont know the price but we've installed an RPM Performance Products data logger and the guy loves it.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg June 21st 2011, 1:53 pm

I have a DataMax from Computech Systems (Jay Parlett). Does what I need and has already helped me out.
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 21st 2011, 2:05 pm

thanks for all the good data!lol..i have looked at most you all have and searched on the bullet to see what most liked and the racepak is most you find.all i need other than the base setup is egt's.i'd also like to know driveshaft rpm vs engine rpm. i was just thinking it would be money ahead compared to the tnt every week.i change up a lot of stuff often just to see what it will do but now a pass is over with so fast i dont have time to do anything but drive.after i got a video of a few passes i got to thinking a logger would be realy be the ticket.thanks for the help guys! Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 21st 2011, 2:35 pm

This was one of the biggest motivational factors to go efi over blow thru for us.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 June 21st 2011, 5:21 pm

valleydawg wrote: I have a DataMax from Computech Systems (Jay Parlett). Does what I need and has already helped me out.
I have been a Computech customer for their weather stations for a long time with good results. I have no experience with the Data Max, but the support from Computech has always been good.
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  fastracecars June 21st 2011, 9:10 pm

I have a complete Computech logger that I traded for a while back. I started to put it in the Crustang, until Billy Glidden offered to teach me how to read Racepak graphs. I would love to sell this thing, it is off of Wayne Henderson's A/ED. It is in the original box with all of the original paper work. I can look it over a little closer if anyone is interested in it.

www.dragsterheaders.com
fastracecars
fastracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 21st 2011, 10:58 pm

whatbumper wrote:I dont know the price but we've installed an RPM Performance Products data logger and the guy loves it.
i looked at them and i did see one thing i liked "made in usa".
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl June 22nd 2011, 1:08 am

and with a RPM if you have a problem and you call them they have the answer on what you did wrong or what you programed wrong ( I'm not a computer geek and I can make this thing work) , that's what we run on are car and I love it!!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn June 25th 2011, 5:51 am

I just bought the Racepak Sportsman about two months ago and it's great. I love the SD card that Keith mentioned but more importantly the hookup is what I really like. The simplicity of the design with the way you can daisy chain the sensors together is really cool and simple, even a Caveman can do it Laughing ! Other than the built in sensors (Engine RPM, Driveshaft RPM, Battery Voltage, 2-Axis G-meter, 12 volt event) I have added in Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, and Vacuum. It really gives me peace of mind and has really help Mike and I in trying to sort this thing out. We still have a ways to go, but we're getting there with the help of Racepak.

Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 June 25th 2011, 6:10 am

Doug Rahn wrote:I just bought the Racepak Sportsman about two months ago and it's great. I love the SD card that Keith mentioned but more importantly the hookup is what I really like. The simplicity of the design with the way you can daisy chain the sensors together is really cool and simple, even a Caveman can do it Laughing ! Other than the built in sensors (Engine RPM, Driveshaft RPM, Battery Voltage, 2-Axis G-meter, 12 volt event) I have added in Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, and Vacuum. It really gives me peace of mind and has really help Mike and I in trying to sort this thing out. We still have a ways to go, but we're getting there with the help of Racepak.

Doug,
Yeah...man...that installation with their V-Net technology is very impressive.
If you mounted your oil pressure and vacuum transducers directly on the engine, you should remote mount them as as soon as you can. It takes a couple of seasons, but both of those transducers will die, due to vibration. The Racepak tech guys will advise you of that when you call to order a replacement. As I recall. they are about $175 each. You may have already taken care of that....as detailed as you are...... Smile
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn June 25th 2011, 6:24 am

Wheelie58 wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:I just bought the Racepak Sportsman about two months ago and it's great. I love the SD card that Keith mentioned but more importantly the hookup is what I really like. The simplicity of the design with the way you can daisy chain the sensors together is really cool and simple, even a Caveman can do it Laughing ! Other than the built in sensors (Engine RPM, Driveshaft RPM, Battery Voltage, 2-Axis G-meter, 12 volt event) I have added in Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, and Vacuum. It really gives me peace of mind and has really help Mike and I in trying to sort this thing out. We still have a ways to go, but we're getting there with the help of Racepak.

Doug,
Yeah...man...that installation with their V-Net technology is very impressive.
If you mounted your oil pressure and vacuum transducers directly on the engine, you should remote mount them as as soon as you can. It takes a couple of seasons, but both of those transducers will die, due to vibration. The Racepak tech guys will advise you of that when you call to order a replacement. As I recall. they are about $175 each. You may have already taken care of that....as detailed as you are...... Smile
Keith

Yep, their sales guys I ordered it from told me about that. I put a "T" in the vac and pressure lines that feed my gauges. Everything is under the dash except for the fuel pressure. It's Teed into the isolator in the left fender well. Eventually, I want to get one of their Display Dashes and lose all of those gauges and maybe a few pounds to boot.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 June 25th 2011, 6:43 am

Good deal.
I will have to check it out at the Bash.
I am glad the sales guys are advising that up front...now.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 25th 2011, 3:14 pm

you guys have reminded me of another good reason to run efi and use its data logger. the sensors are gm and you can get almost all of them at any parts store so they are a lot cheaper.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 27th 2011, 11:43 am

cool40 wrote:
whatbumper wrote:I dont know the price but we've installed an RPM Performance Products data logger and the guy loves it.
i looked at them and i did see one thing i liked "made in usa".

They also have a "wireless" download option. Very Happy
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down