BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures

+3
cletus66
IDT-572
nuclearcobra
7 posters

Go down

Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Empty Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures

Post  nuclearcobra June 22nd 2011, 1:36 pm

its taking longer than i thought but there coming out ok Very Happy these are my old heads i sold to my buddy for his motor i'm building for him,there ported c8ve-e castings off a 429 i didn't do the porting even tho i have to do a victor portmatch because they were matched to a stealth before. Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Th_IMG_0389 Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Th_IMG_0384 Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Th_IMG_0390

Last edited by nuclearcobra on July 18th 2011, 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Empty Re: Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures

Post  IDT-572 June 22nd 2011, 1:53 pm

Good job there HeRo................... Wink Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Empty Re: Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures

Post  cletus66 June 22nd 2011, 4:08 pm

Nice side by side comparo. Cool
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 22nd 2011, 4:33 pm

Cool

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell June 23rd 2011, 10:48 pm

Good job. I rmember the first time I ever did that was on my first 429, and I did it with a hand drill.
Hey, it worked! Rolling Eyes

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra June 24th 2011, 7:45 am

Yea thats what i'm using my cordless ridgid drill Shocked i have 3 more seats and 15 more valve guide bosses to do and now i can see why i need a drill press bad Rolling Eyes
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger June 24th 2011, 8:42 am

I've done a set with a 1/2" drill. Worked great. A drill press would be a pain in the butt to set up to match the valve angles... Not even sure you even could with a typical drill press.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra June 24th 2011, 12:25 pm

I was wondering about the valve angles on a drill press and if you can get it to spin slow enough. When you guys did it by hand how long did it take and how hard did you bare down on it ? these have never been cut so theres a lot of material to remove on the seat taking out that step, the one valve guide boss i did go's a lot faster than the seats. Do you just press enough to make a fine dust which takes forever(over an hour each, the seats i mean) or do you press harder to make little tootsie rolls which will cut it down in about 20-25 minutes ? this is my first time doing it and didn't know how easy it is to ruin the cutter ? i'm only spinning it about 50 rpms.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 24th 2011, 5:09 pm

When I done my doves took me about 4 afternoons after work working on them 2 to 3 hours each day.I push down just hard enough to make little tootsie rolls and checking to make sure I didn't cut to deep.The checking part is what took me so long making sure I didn;t go to deep.The guiles do go alot faster my cutters are the ones comp cams sale.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra June 25th 2011, 1:00 am

Ok then its normal to take a while thanks, and i'm just removing the step for a dual spring package and cutting the guide boss down for pc seals and higer lift cam. The ones i bought are howards cams.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Empty Finaly done cuttin seats/guides

Post  nuclearcobra July 16th 2011, 7:34 am

now i got 4 more holes to port match Very Happy and the new valves and hardware can go in. Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Th_IMG_0524 Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Th_IMG_0525 Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Th_IMG_0526 Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Th_IMG_0528 Cutting spring seats/guides & portmatching pictures Th_IMG_0527
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down