BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The JACK AUSTIN Project.

+8
56Tbird
cool40
Curt
Lem Evans
c.evans
Race Ready Fabrications
res0rli9
LivermoreDave
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The JACK AUSTIN Project. Empty The JACK AUSTIN Project.

Post  LivermoreDave July 3rd 2011, 12:33 am

Jack Austin's Mustang.

The JACK AUSTIN Project. CHANDLERJULY2050The JACK AUSTIN Project. CHANDLERJULY2040]The JACK AUSTIN Project. CHANDLERJULY2042

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

The JACK AUSTIN Project. Empty Re: The JACK AUSTIN Project.

Post  res0rli9 July 3rd 2011, 1:16 am

NICE Cool Cool Cool

well how big is the mootoor, and whats the times???

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications July 3rd 2011, 1:34 am

I seen it run and it's FAST!!!!!!
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 3rd 2011, 2:27 am

Okay guys, the cat is out of the bag. We've been sitting quietly on this project since late Febuary, but the car belongs to one of the local good 'ole boys, a gentleman by the name of Jack Austin. The hired gun driver is Mark McDonald. Many of you who attended the Winter Tech Seminars may remember Mark, as he was one of the guest speakers at the Executive Inn in Owensboro, KY and then again at Rose-Hulman University in Terre Haute, IN. Mark spoke about chassis set-ups.

When Jack bought the car back in Feb. it had run a best of 5.15 in the 1/8th and it came out of Dayton, OH. He bought it without the engine and Lawes Mayfield built a new 632 CID Ford engine for it. The engine dynoed 1254 Hp and 966 lbs.ft. of torque in mid June. Lawes was busy cutting hay, so Phillip Oakley dynoed the engine, with some assistence from Mike, Mark and myself.

Last Saturday afternoon we made a couple of 60' shakedown passes with it and it ran a 1.13 and then 1 .07. On the last 1.07 pass it drove through the Coan transmission that came with the car. So this week Oakley, who is a dealer for TCI, pulled some strings and got a super tough TCI Top Sportsman type tranny built for it, with the best of everything in it. Thanks Phillip!

Mark, Todd Lawyer and I put the tranny in Friday afternoon and then Saturday (July 3) we went to Chandler Motorsports Park just outside of Evansville, IN in order to put some laps on the car. The first full pass ever (time trials) was a 4.85 @ 145 mph, that was with 7* timing pulled out of it for .400. Mark came back and said the brake pedal was kinda' soft and he trouble getting stopped. On the second pass which was qualifiying for Quick 16 we raised the shift point some and still with the timing pulled out of it, we ran a 4.806 @ 146.37 mph and Mark pulled the chute. Third pass was the last qualifying pass and it ran 4.804 @ 145.76. We were the low qualifying door car there and in the first round of eliminations he ran a 4.808 @ 145.6 and Mark said he had to really "drive" the car on the top end and the brakes were still junk! In the second round of eliminations Mark had a little better 60" time and 330' time, however he redlighted and then lifted, coasting through with a 5.08 e.t. So with 94* heat and a lot of humidity, the density air showed 2200 ft. however, the car ran three 4.80's in a row and we are well pleased. In regards to the things we've got to do this week, it will start with a complete overhaul of the brakes and there's about a half dozen other items on that list.

Livermore Dave has posted a video of the car making a pass, so click on it and you'll go to photobucket.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 3rd 2011, 6:55 am

Charlie, I suspect you are making this stuff up. We all know you can't run three 4.80s in a row with gas and carbs Suspect

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 3rd 2011, 10:04 am

Guys, of course I was on the phone with Lem last night giving him the blow by blow account of things. The engine has two Phillip Oakley 1450 cfm Quick Fuel carbs and runs on VP Q-16 gasoline. Yes, three 4.80's in a row with a brand new car/engine combo.

A further note is that Jack and Lawes weren't even there yesterday, because they were doing their sheriff and deputy thing. Mark's wife has started calling them "Andy and Barney" Laughing lol! Phillip was in Toledo, so I was trying to keep him posted also. Mark and his wife Dedrie were running their other fast door car also, so good thing Dave and I were there because the usual gremlins were cropping up.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt July 3rd 2011, 8:23 pm

That's hauling the mail for sure. I'm glad that Mark hasn't been brain washed by JB believing he needs that other manufacturer to go fast. Just think about how fast and consistant it would have been on M1 Very Happy
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 3rd 2011, 8:38 pm

"how fast and consistant"
--------------------------------------------------------
I aint so sure about that Smile . But the Jesel one piece shaft system seems to be okay Wink

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt July 3rd 2011, 8:50 pm

Lem Evans wrote:"how fast and consistant"
--------------------------------------------------------
I aint so sure about that Smile . But the Jesel one piece shaft system seems to be okay Wink

Come on Lem, it is so much better than just okay!
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 3rd 2011, 8:57 pm

Okay ...is all that i look for Very Happy

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave July 3rd 2011, 9:34 pm

c.evans wrote: Mark and his wife Dedrie were running their other fast door car also, so good thing Dave and I were there because the usual gremlins were cropping up.
Charlie

The truth to the matter Mark and Dedrie offered one of the nicest environments as anyone under the circumstances, as do Todd and Gail. I feel assured their day/night would have been more relaxing if I hadn't been asking a thousand questions, and Dedrie didn't have to give me continual advise on taking pictures! As for Charlie, well we all know how he can be when out in public! As a matter of fact I mentioned as Mark, Dedrie, Charlie and myself sit between rounds, how nice it was of Mark and Dedrie to do all the work while keeping Charlie and myself entertained and nourished!

Thank you Mark and Dedrie for allowing me to "hang out".

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 7th 2011, 9:30 pm

Let's see if I can make this work; The JACK AUSTIN Project. JACKMARK006

You're looking at a picture of Jack's engine on the dyno. It is 632 CID and most all of the parts came from Lem at www.bfevansraceparts.com

The engine has the SVO A-460 block, a Sonny Bryant billet crank, (4.750" stroke) and GRP alum. rods. Danny Bee timing belt, Comp Cams custom ground camshaft by Lem, Comp Cams lifters, custom Charlie's Oil Pan by Lem, Cometic head gaskets and the list goes on. The heads are a set of Pro-Filer 205's with Victory 1 titanium valves, Manley NexTek valve springs with a 2.100" installed height. I did the heads and they flow around 545-550 cfm on the intakes and around 370 cfm on the exhausts without a test pipe. Phillip Oakley provided the custom Quick Fuel carbs and the VP Q-16 racing gas. He also provided the Peterson Fluid Systems, new style 5 stage dry sump pump and tank.

Jack's engine was built by Lawes Mayfield and it was dyno tuned by Phillip Oakley. It made 1254 Hp @ 8000 rpm, and 966 Tq @ 6000 rpm.

Charlie

Last edited by c.evans on July 7th 2011, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 7th 2011, 9:38 pm

Dang Charlie,you get'n good at posting pic's! Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 7th 2011, 9:51 pm

The hired gun, Mark McDonald. Cool Also, a mighty fine chassis man. Smile

The JACK AUSTIN Project. JACKMARK001

We're farmers down here, so that some grain augers in the background sticking out above the engine.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave July 9th 2011, 8:16 am

I see now why that engine is so powerful ......... Reher-Morrison parts! .. Wink

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 9th 2011, 9:11 pm

Mark won 1st round...........4.75 @ 147.20 .
E.T. Raceway in Lyons, IN

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird July 9th 2011, 9:53 pm

That's haulin azz...I hope them gas carbs stay tuned in through the final round????Keep us up to date cheers king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt July 9th 2011, 9:58 pm

LOL @ Dano Laughing
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave July 10th 2011, 8:22 am

Lem Evans wrote:Mark won 1st round...........4.75 @ 147.20 .

Just sitting here doing some math and my mind is starting to go ...... hmmmm!

Regardless the reason for the car's better performance at E.T. Raceway vs. Chandler Raceway Park, considering the car ran very consistent speeds at Chandler (except the 4.806 @ 146.37), 145.6 and 145.76 and now at E.T Raceway another .05 of a second has disappeared from the elapsed time the speed has increased nearly 1.5 mph. It seems as the power increases the converter's slippage decreases, although I don't have the data before me it seems nearly .04% more efficient than the performance at Chandler. If my memory serves me correctly, the converter exhibited about 13% slippage at it's worse at Chandler.

Now here comes my question! If another 200 horsepower is added to the engine and speeds near 149 to 150 do you guys think the converter will continue to become more efficient or start to go in the opposite direction? Another question if I may? With the additional 200 horsepower, will the Jack Austin project be a candidate for the Jeg's Super Quick Series? If door cars are allowed to compete, wouldn't that be an eye opener for the crowd when a competitive full-bodied car enters the race!

Just a few thoughts,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird July 10th 2011, 9:56 am

Well...What's the results? It must've been a late night! Nobody's up yet ? cheers king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 10th 2011, 10:17 am

Yea......must have been an all nighter....... I've not heard other report.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird July 10th 2011, 11:13 am

Hmmmm...I think I know what that means scratch king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 10th 2011, 11:24 am

Lyons (E.T.) Raceway report, VP Fuels Quick 32 Race July 9, 2011.

Gentlemen, we won first round as reported with a 4.750 e.t. and they were running the second round. With the pair of door cars in front of us, they had a bad crash on the big end. Both drivers were fine, and pretty soon we back to racing. Mark treed the guy in the second round, but the car got out of the groove and Mark had to lift, so we lost. Looking forward to the future Exclamation Cool

Just got a phone call and Bobby Small told me that Scott Carman with his BB Ford won the whole shooting match VP Fuels Race. Congrats Scotty 2 Hottie Exclamation

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird July 10th 2011, 11:48 am

Way to go Scott!! What caused the Mustang to get out of the groove? scratch king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 10th 2011, 1:00 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:Mark won 1st round...........4.75 @ 147.20 .

Just sitting here doing some math and my mind is starting to go ...... hmmmm!

Regardless the reason for the car's better performance at E.T. Raceway vs. Chandler Raceway Park, considering the car ran very consistent speeds at Chandler (except the 4.806 @ 146.37), 145.6 and 145.76 and now at E.T Raceway another .05 of a second has disappeared from the elapsed time the speed has increased nearly 1.5 mph. It seems as the power increases the converter's slippage decreases, although I don't have the data before me it seems nearly .04% more efficient than the performance at Chandler. If my memory serves me correctly, the converter exhibited about 13% slippage at it's worse at Chandler.

Now here comes my question! If another 200 horsepower is added to the engine and speeds near 149 to 150 do you guys think the converter will continue to become more efficient or start to go in the opposite direction? Another question if I may? With the additional 200 horsepower, will the Jack Austin project be a candidate for the Jeg's Super Quick Series? If door cars are allowed to compete, wouldn't that be an eye opener for the crowd when a competitive full-bodied car enters the race!

Just a few thoughts,
Dave.

Has it been concluded that previous converter stall wasn't actually caused by tire slippage and that lock-up isn't actually the same as it was. ..? As the car goes quicker in the 1/8 mile, the speed will get faster. Comparing 1/4 mile speeds should tell the whole story.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next