BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrical issue on my F250

3 posters

Go down

Electrical issue on my F250 Empty Electrical issue on my F250

Post  OldRedFord August 8th 2011, 4:41 pm

This from two pots I have made elsewhere.

On my 1997 F250, I had gone on a 200 mile round trip in my truck saturday.

Was headed back to the house and started to notice every time I came to a stop I could hear this intermittent whirring sound. Didnt think much of it, had just pulled a horse trailer 200 miles. A little bit farther down the road I came to a stop and then I noticed the warning light for the charging system pulsing in time to the whirring sound.

Pulled over and opend the hood. Jiggled the wires on the alternator, light still pulsing. Revved engine and the light stopped pulsing. I noticed the lug on the back of the alternator that has the red plastic between the charge and the alternator body was melted. Shut the hood, revved the engine again and continued on my way. Stopped at another traffic light and this time the whirring sound and the pulsing light dissipated and hasn't come back.

Bad alternator? Or a bigger problem?

(Now today)

Well today it did it again. This time for whatever reason when the alternator warning light was flashing I started to mess with the settings for the climate control. I made note that with the AC on the light went out, with it off the light would flash. I will also add that twice now the blower has stopped working all together. Also after shutting down the truck and letting it sit for a few minutes everything would be normal again.

Its still a intermittent problem.

Between the alternator and the battery with the engine on I am getting 16 volts.

All battery connections are tight, same with the alternator.
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Electrical issue on my F250 Empty Re: Electrical issue on my F250

Post  richter69 August 8th 2011, 4:56 pm

cut the metled terminal off and put a good lug end on the deal, common problem, be sure to clean the terminal good.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord August 8th 2011, 10:53 pm

Now the water pump went south.

Should I be getting 16 volts? Thought 14 was the max.
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 8th 2011, 10:57 pm

pull the alt off carry it and have it check while you have it off to change the water pump sound like the voltage regulator is goner
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down