BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stock 460 crank how much hp safley ? have a chance to get one cheap thats been turned details inside about my goals with my car

+2
schmitty
5pointslow
6 posters

Go down

stock 460 crank how much hp safley ? have a chance to get one cheap thats been turned details inside about my goals with my car Empty stock 460 crank how much hp safley ? have a chance to get one cheap thats been turned details inside about my goals with my car

Post  5pointslow August 28th 2011, 5:03 pm

well everyone always asks what are ya looking to do first

i have a 91 mustang c/m cage to cert to 8.50s
glide
all racecraft suspension ect cars light should be around 2800lbs with iron headed bbf with me my guess

i want to be able to run in the 9.50 index class here in new england dragway

i have a fresh .030 block i picked up (d1ve)
ported dove head with 2.250 valves port work looks real good
i have stock rods , shot peend and have arp hardware
kb hyper piston around 10.8.1 with the heads the way they are

wanted to run a small plate from applied nitrous (prock) like a 200shot if i needed or a 150 but im afraid of basicly the rods ,crank and the hyper pistons , any info or direction would be good ...gonna use a vicktor intake with a 1050 carb , solid roller cam also .....didnt wanna buy a whole new rotating assembly thanks
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

stock 460 crank how much hp safley ? have a chance to get one cheap thats been turned details inside about my goals with my car Empty Re: stock 460 crank how much hp safley ? have a chance to get one cheap thats been turned details inside about my goals with my car

Post  schmitty August 28th 2011, 5:48 pm

A lot of other parts will fail before the stock crank. Just make sure and have it properly checked by a competent machinest before you install it. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

stock 460 crank how much hp safley ? have a chance to get one cheap thats been turned details inside about my goals with my car Empty Re: stock 460 crank how much hp safley ? have a chance to get one cheap thats been turned details inside about my goals with my car

Post  kjett August 28th 2011, 7:07 pm

I run the stock crank in my 466, but I spent money on a set of h-beam rods and forged flat top pistons to run with my ported d0ves. I spin my motor to 7200 with no issues and spray it with a 250hp shot with no fear. I do have to keep a close eye on my tune, but I'm not worried of the crank failing. Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane August 28th 2011, 7:58 pm

5pointslow wrote:
i want to be able to run in the 9.50 index class here in new england dragway

i have a fresh .030 block i picked up (d1ve)
ported dove head with 2.250 valves port work looks real good
i have stock rods , shot peend and have arp hardware
kb hyper piston around 10.8.1 with the heads the way they are

wanted to run a small plate from applied nitrous (prock) like a 200shot if i needed or a 150 but im afraid of basicly the rods ,crank and the hyper pistons , any info or direction would be good ...gonna use a victor intake with a 1050 carb , solid roller cam also .....didnt wanna buy a whole new rotating assembly thanks
Block and crankshaft no problem; nix the rods and pistons.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 28th 2011, 8:19 pm

Paul Kane wrote:Block and crankshaft no problem; nix the rods and pistons.

Paul

X2 and what i said right above on what I did. Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow August 28th 2011, 8:40 pm

so the crank should be fine to a 200-250 shot ???

whats the best for the money for what i wanna do as the rods and pistons go ?

eagle,scat ect .... pistons i see trws ,kb, probe ect
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 28th 2011, 9:16 pm

I have the SCAT h-beams and SRP forged flat tops. Didn't cost a ton, and work fine. For rings, I'm running a set of moly file fit rings that are opened enough for my 250 shot.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow August 28th 2011, 10:52 pm

thanks ,,, whats kind of compression should i use with that shot 200- 250
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 28th 2011, 10:56 pm

Wellm with my combo, and from what I can see your's as well, a 466 with flat top pistons, zero decked block, 72cc chambers, and a .041 head gasket you will be around 11.7ish to 1. Obviously not pump gas friendly unless you are really good with the tune. I hit mine with the 250hp setup for the 1st time this year and I'm hooked as is my motor! Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow August 28th 2011, 11:13 pm

your combo sounds sweet , just looking to keep mine simple fig around 12.1 ...track only car shouldnt take much to move my car
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 28th 2011, 11:18 pm

That's simple, make you chambers 70cc and you'll be right at 12:1 Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 25th 2011, 9:31 pm

any real world results on what the stock crank is good to say maybe 800hp ?if tune was right ??
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  G-Code September 25th 2011, 11:48 pm

I ran an off-set ground crank in a 512" for two years in a jet boat, engine dyno'd at 710 hp we ran a 250hp shot on top of that.

G

G-Code

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 25th 2011, 11:57 pm

The Factory Crank will take anything a set of ported factory iron can throw at it. as long as the tune is good.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 26th 2011, 12:56 am

5pointslow wrote:any real world results on what the stock crank is good to say maybe 800hp? if tune was right ??
We have a customer who is currently generating more than double your estimated max hp level through a stock 460 crankshaft. And I know of other racers that have done the same.

Yes, optimum tune is paramount. Also, you cannot do this to an OEM 460 crankshaft with just any build or any application. The harder you push an engine component, the more restricted its application becomes, as well as its lifespan shortened, increased risk of failure, etc.

I don't recommend such use of the stock parts to others and I am not making such a recomendation here, but it has been done successfully. And I think that makes a very good statement about the integrity of the OEM parts.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 26th 2011, 9:41 pm

how are the scat cast vs the stock oem cast ........assuming the oem ford is stronger ?
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett September 26th 2011, 9:42 pm

For stock stroke, the factory crank will outlive the SCAT cast.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 26th 2011, 9:45 pm

5pointslow wrote:how are the scat cast vs the stock oem cast ........assuming the oem ford is stronger ?
I don't know whether one 3.85" stroke crankshaft has been scientifically proven to sustain more power than the other (offshore vs. OEM) but I have a preference for the OEM crankshafts.

On the other hand, those that I mentioned in my previous post were all OEM FoMoCo crankshafts; I don't know how far an aftermkarket one has been pushed.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down