BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need info asap on engine combo ( 4.3 vs 4.5 crank) ordering it by tommmorrow details inside of engine plans

+3
David Cole
richter69
5pointslow
7 posters

Go down

need info asap on engine combo ( 4.3 vs 4.5 crank) ordering it by tommmorrow details inside of engine plans Empty need info asap on engine combo ( 4.3 vs 4.5 crank) ordering it by tommmorrow details inside of engine plans

Post  5pointslow September 8th 2011, 6:27 pm

well gonna do the internals over .... im not sure i wanted to use stock rods and crank

i have a d1ve block filled to bottom of freeze plugs
.030 over bore
dove heads ( ported with 2.250 intake)
using a solid roller - gonna have ground for my combo
viktor intake

gonna either do a 521 with a 4.3 crank or a 4.5 crank and have a 545

this engine is studded on the mains , and is gonna get hell fire rings and spray a 200-250 shot ( and yes its a JEFF PROCK plate 8 )

gonna use cast crank from scat with there h beams

just wanna know for what im using it for and the block is there any pros and cons of the 2 cranks dont wanna spin past 6500-7k if needed
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

need info asap on engine combo ( 4.3 vs 4.5 crank) ordering it by tommmorrow details inside of engine plans Empty Re: need info asap on engine combo ( 4.3 vs 4.5 crank) ordering it by tommmorrow details inside of engine plans

Post  richter69 September 8th 2011, 6:37 pm

cast I'd do a 4.3
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

need info asap on engine combo ( 4.3 vs 4.5 crank) ordering it by tommmorrow details inside of engine plans Empty Re: need info asap on engine combo ( 4.3 vs 4.5 crank) ordering it by tommmorrow details inside of engine plans

Post  David Cole September 8th 2011, 7:06 pm

Just something to point out if the budget is the reason for the cast crank.

If you plan to internal balance it, the cost to balance a cast crank is higher than a 4340 forged crank. By the time you pay for the extra heavy metal needed for the cast you will be within $2-300 of a forged crank, which does not require heavy metal to balance.

That said, with the cost of 4340 cranks where there are now I would not use a cast crank for anything that sees much track time. The small cost diff is a long term bargain. X10 for anything that is going to see some spray.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 8th 2011, 7:50 pm

lets just say the stock crank will stand up to more than the cast stroker crank....JMHO

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 8th 2011, 8:18 pm

richter69 wrote:cast I'd do a 4.3

X2 ... balance the front of the cast crank internally and the rear externally.
Get it from Adney at "Performance Crankshaft"; he is very familiar with this process - 1 (586) 549-7557

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 9th 2011, 12:17 pm

X2 on getting the crank from Adney and I suggest going forged, JMO.

For the record I'm running a 4.31" Forged crank from Adney cheers
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 9th 2011, 2:04 pm

D. Sea wrote:For the record I'm running a 4.31" Forged crank from Adney cheers

Overachiever tongue
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 9th 2011, 5:56 pm

was only gonna go cast ... thought i heard there good to 850 - 900 hp ?? scat ones ..... i dont have a prob going forged but was looking at the $ to have into a d1ve block i mean its only 2bolt with arp studs and ported doves ??? i mean is it just as easy to make good power using stock crank and putting h beams and pistons in .......9.50 index car !!!! my applied nitrous (jeff prock) plate can go as little as 150 shot ...just looking to run in that class
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 9th 2011, 7:39 pm

You are somewhat correct as long as you also keep it all financially correct. (TOTALLY internal balancing a cast stroker crank is not a good decision when the cost of installing Mallory metal is considered).

It seems in the high performance world that most want to make everything they can over-engineered; the proverbial "Brick $hithouse".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 9th 2011, 7:44 pm

schmitty wrote:

Overachiever tongue

I got one as well............... Razz
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 9th 2011, 7:53 pm

richter69 wrote:
schmitty wrote:

Overachiever tongue

Overachiever twins. tongue
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 13th 2011, 11:59 am

schmitty wrote:
richter69 wrote:
schmitty wrote:

Overachiever tongue

Overachiever twins. tongue

And don't you forget it! BTW I'm Arnold.... He is Danny

need info asap on engine combo ( 4.3 vs 4.5 crank) ordering it by tommmorrow details inside of engine plans Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBM8nO3-iHV5SK6-oPnxU4EVJET4NThGtSjWFOPg0SvqbvrJj63XBbILBaSA
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down