BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can't put details of combo together, need input

3 posters

Go down

can't put details of combo together, need input Empty can't put details of combo together, need input

Post  MIKE93SVT September 19th 2011, 7:49 am

i'll try and keep this short. i'm having a hard time deciding on my final combo. i'll list my goals for the car, what parts i have and hopefully you can help me make the decision so i can continue to collect the right parts. hardest part has been finding similar combos making the power/times i'm after within the parameters i have.

Car:
95 mustang should weigh approx 3,100-3,200
10pt cage
mini tubbed
built rear
full suspension
large fuel system
etc.

parts i have:
fresh "stock rebiuld" d1ve 466 shortblock
fresh "stock rebuild" d0ve c heads (probably sell)
victor intake with 4150
th400 trans, will be built at local shop

GOAL: car to drive to the track, run 9.70-9.80 and drive home. (30-40 miles)
will run on pump gas (91-93 octane)
streetable is a relative term, but will just cruise to shows, and to work on occasion, no power tour or anything. loud, vibrating, gas milage, whatever, doesn't matter

N/A or Turbo?

Turbo:

-maintain stock block and crank, add h beam rods, forged pistons and top off with a set of inline heads (edelbrock, tfs, etc) for compression around 8.8:1

-build my own headers/hotside for the turbo, blow thru carb, 12-14 lbs of boost is more than enough with either a single s480 or possible twin 70mm depending on final room in engine bay.

N/A:

-stock block, 4.3 forged crank, 6.8 rods, forged pistons and either frpp scj's or p-51 heads, with final compression around 10:1, allowing some wiggle room for a 125-150 shot for the track, solid roller cam, victor intake, pro systems carb, possibly sv1

- build my own long tubes, add supporting mods, etc.

my biggest concern is that the n/a combo won't be enough to push the car into the 9's. i've found similar combos which have done it, but almost all of them have 12 or 13:1 compression. this is still a "street car" that i would like to drive if i choose to.

i know the turbo setup can make more than enough power, but it also comes with it's own upkeep and headaches, which is why i would like to do the n/a setup, and just add a small shot for at the track.

cost is always a concern, but i will simply wait until i have the funds to complete it either way. i've contemplated running the d0ve c's or d1ve's with either combo, but why put 5-800 into some iron heads when that money could go towards some better and lighter heads. just kept within reason, while doing it right the first time.

let me know if i'm leaving anything out, would love some input from some guys are are getting it done already.

thanks
mike

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

can't put details of combo together, need input Empty Re: can't put details of combo together, need input

Post  jbozzelle September 19th 2011, 11:16 am

Why not go NA, 4.5 stroke (545ci), P51s, TFS intake with about 10-10.5:1 ? Should be plenty streetable and run into the 9s easily.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

can't put details of combo together, need input Empty Re: can't put details of combo together, need input

Post  MIKE93SVT September 19th 2011, 11:53 am

jbozzelle wrote:Why not go NA, 4.5 stroke (545ci), P51s, TFS intake with about 10-10.5:1 ? Should be plenty streetable and run into the 9s easily.

i've read both good and negative feedback about a 4.5 stroke in a stock block. if i had a d9te block, then i think it would be better with the longer sleeve.

unless these accounts were wrong and it would be fine on a d1ve that i have Question

Last edited by MIKE93SVT on September 19th 2011, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge September 19th 2011, 12:06 pm

You mean, D9TE not D3VE block.

being said there are plenty of D1 blocks with 4.5 cranks around here.
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKE93SVT September 19th 2011, 3:26 pm

IcallhimGeorge wrote:You mean, D9TE not D3VE block.

being said there are plenty of D1 blocks with 4.5 cranks around here.

yes, and thanks

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down