BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sealing a fuel line

4 posters

Go down

sealing a fuel line Empty sealing a fuel line

Post  NO FAIR September 18th 2011, 2:41 pm

Ok this might be an odd question but here it goes. I put a sump in my factory tank that I have externally plumbed. I am using the factory float set up ( OBTW it is a 67 fairlane) for my fuel level guage and I was wondering what is the best way to seal the factory line leaving the fuel tank ( I think it is 5/16") I am thinking maybe squirting a bunch of epoxy inside the line but I don't want the fuel to eat through it and start to leak.
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Smile
NO FAIR
NO FAIR

Back to top Go down

sealing a fuel line Empty Re: sealing a fuel line

Post  res0rli9 September 18th 2011, 3:00 pm

sod-er it

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 18th 2011, 3:07 pm

Is it in the front or the top? A cheap fix would be to put a very slight flare on it and slip some 5/16 fuel line over it with a bolt or plug in it. Couple hose clamps and you are done. A good more expensive fix would be to flare it and cap it. Should be able to find something in brass or AN. It will just cost more.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  NO FAIR September 18th 2011, 3:13 pm

jasonf wrote:Is it in the front or the top? A cheap fix would be to put a very slight flare on it and slip some 5/16 fuel line over it with a bolt or plug in it. Couple hose clamps and you are done. A good more expensive fix would be to flare it and cap it. Should be able to find something in brass or AN. It will just cost more.

I tried capping it but it is a pump gas deal so the fuel has ethanol and it started to eat through the rubber cap I put on it, BTW the sending unit is in the front.
Dave
Smile
NO FAIR
NO FAIR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 18th 2011, 3:23 pm

I was thinking more the lines of a nut on the tubing then flare it. Then you could use a plug to seal it like you would with a brake line..

sealing a fuel line 5513650

sealing a fuel line 5513700
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  racnrick September 18th 2011, 5:10 pm

Dave,

Is the float assembly still in the tank? If you take it out of the tank and bring it down we can pinch it together and solder or weld it, or completely remove the pickup tube and plug the hole in the plate. By removing the pickup tube, your car will be lighter too. Wink

Or if you want to weld it yourself in the tank, it will only go BOOM once. bom Shocked affraid Very Happy But I want to get it on tape it in case you end up looking like this guy! Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tbzCt8i0A

racnrick

Back to top Go down

Post  NO FAIR September 18th 2011, 6:51 pm

racnrick wrote:Dave,

Is the float assembly still in the tank? If you take it out of the tank and bring it down we can pinch it together and solder or weld it, or completely remove the pickup tube and plug the hole in the plate. By removing the pickup tube, your car will be lighter too. Wink

Or if you want to weld it yourself in the tank, it will only go BOOM once. bom Shocked affraid Very Happy But I want to get it on tape it in case you end up looking like this guy! Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tbzCt8i0A

Rick,
I will pass on the "welding in place idea"
pirat
NO FAIR
NO FAIR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down