BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Axle bearing seal ?

5 posters

Go down

Axle bearing seal ? Empty Axle bearing seal ?

Post  nuclearcobra October 2nd 2011, 8:30 pm

This is the bearings with the oring on the outside, does it matter which way the bearing gets pressed on ? the reason i ask is the oring is towards one side more than the other,and i looked at diffrent axle pictures on the net and its shows both,some show the seal closer to the flange and some show it closer to the spline end ? maybe it doesent matter just wanted a second opinion.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Axle bearing seal ? Empty Re: Axle bearing seal ?

Post  cheqmate5000 October 3rd 2011, 9:26 am

This is oddly timed. I recently purchased a set of used Moser axles. The bearing was pressed on with the O ring closer to flange. I was going to post a question to see if it mattered.

Looking at my axle inside the housing, it looks like it shouldn't make a difference as long as the O ring comes into contact with the housing flange but I really don't know for sure.

cheqmate5000

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra October 3rd 2011, 10:40 am

I just talked to moser the bearings are pressed on right,the seal side is towards the flange Very Happy which makes me happy as well because we just had my buddys pressed on that way saturday.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl October 4th 2011, 10:37 am

I always put a seal in the housing also as sometimes the oring will weep oil and all you need is a drip off oil hanging there to get punted at tech
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 4th 2011, 10:53 am

A little clear silicon on the inside of the flange wont hurt, dont use the TA31 its harder to clean up lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE October 4th 2011, 7:04 pm

I have seen it done both ways if the bearing has just a simple O-ring seal on it's OD. And if the axle bearing has dust/race lip seals on both sides of the bearing it shouldn't matter anyway. But if the axle bearing is the type that only has one dust/race seal on one side of the bearing & is "open" (no seal) on the other side, the "open" side faces inward & the dust/race seal faces outward.

There are some axle bearings out there that do use a wider tapered lip OD seal instead of a narrow O-ring OD seal on the bearing, direction is important on them (last one I saw like that was on a Moser axle).

DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra October 6th 2011, 7:51 am

Yep these were moser axles ans they have the dust seal on both sides,anyway no more leakin Smile
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down