BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mechanical fuel pumps

3 posters

Go down

mechanical fuel pumps Empty mechanical fuel pumps

Post  bbf468 October 17th 2011, 7:09 am

What mechanical fuel pumps is everyone using? The pump on my old f-250 crapped out this weekend so its time to replace it after 13 years. It was a 80 gph Mr.Gasket....A stock pump would not feed it, but just curious who has had good luck with what type of pump. This truck is in the 350-400 hp range and the 80 gph pump seemed fine, but fuel pressure would drop off with a stock pump. So what type of pump have people had good luck with, just needs to be a little better than stock. I was trying to find a carter catalog online and couldn't. It seems like carter has a GM6753 on summits website that wouldn't be a bad deal, but I am unsure what that extra line is for on the pump? All of my 460's only have the two lines on them.

Thanks,
Kyle Ladowski

bbf468

Back to top Go down

mechanical fuel pumps Empty Re: mechanical fuel pumps

Post  dfree383 October 17th 2011, 7:10 am

If it worked before..... why not get another one?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf468 October 17th 2011, 9:10 am

The mr. gasket pumps were I think 80 gph @8psi, I would like to find something in the 6.5 or so psi range if possible. I didn't run a regulator on it because it worked without one, but I probably should have...I thought the carter pumps were a little lower pressure and didn't need a regulator. The Mr. Gasket pump Cody ran on his Fe really fell apart in a bad way when it met its demize, the pivot area of the pump wore out and the lever was flopping all over...wasn't very impressive, I didn't take mine out yet, but suspect I will find the same on mine. He went to a carter and has had good luck with it since. Was just thinking of going with carter...The holley on my f-100 has been fine, but it sees very little run time now that I have gotten my house and have been welcomed to the world of septic problems, bad water heaters, and general property repair and upgrades Laughing .

bbf468

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 17th 2011, 9:38 am

Ahhh the Joys of Home Ownership !!! I don;t miss not owning one right now...... But the Boat is a PITA too......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike October 20th 2011, 10:59 pm

This carter has served me well for years.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M60882/
I don't use a regulator with it and never have problems. At idle it carries 7psi, no idea at wot.
The price sure has increased on these. Mine was $75 back when it was new Smile
mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf468 October 24th 2011, 10:55 am

I ended up getting a holley 80 gph pump for it. Was $80 almost $90 with the shipping and handling from summit. The mr gasket pump lasted 13 years. Seems like it fixed the problem. I also put a straight up timing set in the old f250 while I was under the hood. I did find the crank to have excessive end play so it looks like its time to start collecting parts for a new tow vehicle build.

Kyle

bbf468

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down