BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Witch is Dead

+13
Moodyblues
Lem Evans
56Tbird
dr's wife racing
342g
Curt
bbf-falcon
BigDave65
crittersf1
manofmerc
dfree383
David Cole
Wheelie58
17 posters

Go down

The Witch is Dead Empty The Witch is Dead

Post  Wheelie58 November 7th 2011, 1:27 am

I regret to report that my trusty sidekick.... the good old 605 is dead. Crying or Very sad
Yesterday, on a time run about 4.5 seconds in to the pass, the engine made a bad noise and shut off. I pulled over near the wall and coasted to the first turn-off. The safety crew reported no liquids under the car, and saw no smoke fumes, or fire. They asked what happened, and I told them "something very very bad". After the car was towed to my trailer, I noticed water running out of the engine diaper.
It appears that the #7 wristpin broke, beat up the piston, knocked out the cylinder wall and then wedged the rod between the crank and the bottom of the cylinder.
It looks like the entire short block will need to be replaced.
They were Trend pins, but I do not have the entire specs yet. This weekend, it would have put is near the 600 run mark. The engine was happy when it died. It was doing what it really enjoyed.
So....the neglected 514 will head for the dyno for a little tune-up and go back in to service.
I guess I will order a new block in the morning and get the ball rolling on a replacement.

P.S. the DRE diaper....like it or not...did a great job. Not a drop on the track and the pan has 2 or 3 holes.

Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

The Witch is Dead Empty Re: The Witch is Dead

Post  David Cole November 7th 2011, 1:39 am

Ouch! Sorry to here that.

cue Six Mil Man/Bionic Man music.......rebuild.....bigger.....faster......stronger

David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 November 7th 2011, 1:42 am

David Cole wrote:Ouch! Sorry to here that.

cue Six Mil Man/Bionic Man music.......rebuild.....bigger.....faster......stronger

Yeah....better wristpins for sure! and maybe a few more CFMs.... Suspect
Thanks,
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 7th 2011, 2:36 am

"We have the Technology"......

Never know, Might be able to save something out of the old motor. Blocks can be sleeved and filled.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

The Witch is Dead Empty Looking for you

Post  manofmerc November 7th 2011, 7:51 am

Keith I was looking for you But i didnt find you sorry about your engine .You will be back I didnt have the greatest weekend either but all is good some changes are coming for my combo .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc November 7th 2011, 7:52 am

Keith I was looking for you But i didnt find you sorry about your engine .You will be back I didnt have the greatest weekend either but all is good some changes are coming for my combo .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 November 7th 2011, 8:19 am

600 runs is a very good life-span! That power-plant doesn't owe you a thing
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 November 7th 2011, 9:16 am

Hate to hear you blowed up, glad you had the diaper on it or it could have been much worse!
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 7th 2011, 9:51 am

Hate too hear this Keith. We all know you will be back better than ever.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt November 7th 2011, 9:57 am

Ouch! That'll put a dent in the retirement funds. Sorry to hear about the carnage.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  342g November 7th 2011, 11:13 am

Sorry Keith, you will come back, stronger, and faster, take a little break, and then get back to work. Very Happy Very Happy
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing November 7th 2011, 11:35 am

Sorry for the bad luck,been there done that.I know how expensive it is to have a total loss.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 7th 2011, 12:34 pm

I feel for you Keith! I know the next one will be even better! Good luck my friend. king

Last edited by 56Tbird on November 7th 2011, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 7th 2011, 1:37 pm

Seems the pin failed due to methanol.
------------------------------------------------------------

The effect of a sulfur source on the performance and metal retention of methanol-fed upflow anaerobic sludge bed (UASB) reactors was investigated. For this purpose, two UASB reactors were operated with cobalt preloaded granular sludge (1 mM CoCl2; 30 °C; 24 h) at an organic loading rate (OLR) of 5 g COD·L reactor−1·d−1. One UASB reactor (R1) was operated without a sulfur source in the influent during the first 37 days. In this period the methanol conversion to methane remained very poor, apparently due to the absence of a sulfur source, because once cysteine, a sulfur-containing amino acid, was added to the influent of R1 (day 37) a full conversion of methanol to methane occurred within 6 days. The second reactor (R2) was operated with sulfate (0.41 mM) in the influent during the first 86 days of operation, during which no limitation in the methanol conversion to methane manifested. Cobalt washed out from the sludge at similar rates in both reactors. The leaching of cobalt occurred at two distinct rates, first at a high rate of 22 μg·g TSS−1·d−1, which proceeded mainly from the exchangeable and carbonate fraction and later at a relatively slow rate of 9 μg·g TSS−1·d−1 from the organic/sulfide fraction. This study showed that the supply of the sulfur source l-cysteine has a pronounced positive effect on the methanogenic activity and the retention of metals such as iron, zinc and molybdenum.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  342g November 7th 2011, 2:40 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Seems the pin failed due to methanol.

The effect of a sulfur source on the performance and metal retention of methanol-fed upflow anaerobic sludge bed (UASB) reactors was investigated. For this purpose, two UASB reactors were operated with cobalt preloaded granular sludge (1 mM CoCl2; 30 °C; 24 h) at an organic loading rate (OLR) of 5 g COD·L reactor−1·d−1. One UASB reactor (R1) was operated without a sulfur source in the influent during the first 37 days. In this period the methanol conversion to methane remained very poor, apparently due to the absence of a sulfur source, because once cysteine, a sulfur-containing amino acid, was added to the influent of R1 (day 37) a full conversion of methanol to methane occurred within 6 days. The second reactor (R2) was operated with sulfate (0.41 mM) in the influent during the first 86 days of operation, during which no limitation in the methanol conversion to methane manifested. Cobalt washed out from the sludge at similar rates in both reactors. The leaching of cobalt occurred at two distinct rates, first at a high rate of 22 μg·g TSS−1·d−1, which proceeded mainly from the exchangeable and carbonate fraction and later at a relatively slow rate of 9 μg·g TSS−1·d−1 from the organic/sulfide fraction. This study showed that the supply of the sulfur source l-cysteine has a pronounced positive effect on the methanogenic activity and the retention of metals such as iron, zinc and molybdenum.

I agree with this 100%, I think. Very Happy
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 November 7th 2011, 3:41 pm

I agree fully.
Methanol makes horsepower, which in turn made the pin fail.
Thanks guys.
If I find interesting things as I disassemble the engine, I will share the info if it may help others.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues November 7th 2011, 4:09 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Seems the pin failed due to methanol.

BAM! bom
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues November 7th 2011, 4:10 pm

I broke a pin also about a month ago myself. Ugly! Sad
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 7th 2011, 7:55 pm

"methanogenic activity"

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty November 7th 2011, 8:32 pm

Lem Evans wrote:"methanogenic activity"

Is that what Bad Finger Bob was checking for in that pic of him and JY? Suspect
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 7th 2011, 9:57 pm

sorry about you bad luck.build it stronger and faster!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon November 7th 2011, 10:59 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:The engine was happy when it died. It was doing what it really enjoyed.
This is the most important thing. I'm glad to hear it went peacefully....This will give you closure. Good luck with the new mill.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

The Witch is Dead Empty Sorry.

Post  knrclark November 7th 2011, 11:40 pm

Sorry about your Engine Keith. Hope you still have the A-460 block you were trying to sell to get started on a new engine. That power plant sure paid it's way for you, several Wally's later and multiple wins this year alone. Good luck on a new build.

Kerry
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down