BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........!

+14
uf63
Ranch71460
bbf-falcon
Doug Rahn
bosshoss
Greg_P
mac460
D. Sea
Northwest outlaw
billandlori
deerhunter3814
lghting94
Old blue Racin Team
ThndrChkn
18 posters

Go down

I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Empty I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........!

Post  ThndrChkn September 15th 2009, 9:55 am

Hey guys, I got in late last night from Mission... I stayed with my friend Randy's Sunday night, and drove straight through from Seattle to Helena... Only stopping for fuel once, I called Jason (Northwest outlaw) and he met me at the gas station just down from his house in Kellogg, Idaho, and we chatted a very short time, but I had to get back on the road...

Let me start by saying, it was great to meet all the great Ford guys there, though a couple of the big money guys had a little attitude problem, the other 98% were great... Officially, there were 3 other forum members there, mac460, Dean Peterson(BossHoss), and Ken (If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all) (ranch71460) from Calgary, (sorry Ken, I forgot your last name, but you were great... There were also ALOT of FE and small block guys there that frequent both forums, and they too were great to meet...

After we pulled in, we got settled in our pit areas, and about 20 min or so later this guy pulls up on his pit bike and intro's himself... It was Dean Peterson, and he told me he had brought a driving suit for me to use for the weekend... Then I met mac460 (sorry, I forgot your name too) And Rory Mcneil, an FE guy and friend of Michael M on here, also brought Michael's stuff, but it was a tad on the long side... Thanks Michael, at least I had a couple to choose from... Like others have said before I got there, that sea level air was cool indeed... Very Happy Very Happy When I fired up the truck to unload it a go to tech, it sounded like I had installed about 100 more cubes... I knew right there it was gonna be fun, and the butterflies were unleashed... Laughing Laughing

The truck was a hit, WAY more than anywhere I've taken it down here... Especially AFTER I made my 1st pass... Laughing Laughing The truck ran great, I started by jetting up 4 sizes for my 1st pass and it felt like it was running out of power just before the traps, but still, I KNEW from the pass it was alot better than anything I'd ever run before, running a 9.79 @ 136 mph & a 1.41 60', my best 60' by .04... So I get back to the pits and call 'ol 'Coug to confirm my thoughts of the tune, (this was BEFORE I was told to watch my calls due to international charges Shocked ) So we agreed that I would only change the high speed air bleeds to 4 sizes smaller, and it did the trick... After a couple hours and a few oil downs, of which the Saftey Crew did and awesome job all weekend of cleaning up, I was up for my 2nd time trial... The air was pretty bad (around 2700') by track standards, and according to most the local guys, but I still ran 9.81 @ 135 mph & another 1.41 60', with a little tire shake about 600'-800'... But at least it wasn't nosing over at the 1000' mark... On my last time trial pass, there had been like 4 oil dows in the left lane prior to my pass, but that was the lane I in, so I was hoping it wasn't gonna be an issue... My hopes were soon dashed... Laughing I almost lost it, but still was able to pull out a 10.39 @ 130 mph with a 1.42 60'... Here are those clips:
My 1st pass wasn't caught on tape to no fault of the camera guy Thor, (XR7 from the other forum) by getting roped into conversation by another fella that couldn't quit talking so he couldn't get there fast enough... He did manage to get the time though...
I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Th_005-4

2nd pass:
I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Th_007-4

3rd pass: You can hear me hit the oil spot just before the 1/8 mile... As did the next 4 cars that went after me...
I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Th_015-2

Here's my 1st pass from Sunday morning, with the air MUCH better @ around 1200'...
I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Th_017-1

Well, when I shut it down after my 1st qualifier on Sunday, it didn't want to stay running so we checked things out and found a little debris in the needle and seat, so I went and passed on my 2nd qualifier, as I was plenty tickled with my 1st pass of the day... Here is 1st rd. of eliminations... This is where we found another small problem, my dizzy gear pin had gotten sheared off... Good thing the other guy went red... He told me he made a run at the tree because my dial-in was almost 2 seconds quicker than his...
I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Th_021-2

Rd. 2 of eliminations... Of which I wouldn't have made it to if it weren't for Dean (BossHoss) loaning me his extra dizzy... HMMMM...! I "thought" I had an extra one too Laughing Laughing
I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Th_023-1

And the final rd. was a bye because the other guy failed to make tha call...
I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Th_027

It was the best weekend of racing ever for me, and if I can talk my sponsors into it for next year, I'll definitely be back... Very Happy Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Empty Re: I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........!

Post  Old blue Racin Team September 15th 2009, 10:01 am

looks good doug, glad ya made it up there and back home safe
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........! Empty Re: I'm back from the BEST weekend of racing EVER........!

Post  lghting94 September 15th 2009, 10:06 am

Congrats on a great weekend and truck looks good!
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  deerhunter3814 September 15th 2009, 10:16 am

cheers Looks great Doug. Twisted Evil
deerhunter3814
deerhunter3814

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori September 15th 2009, 10:29 am

Sounds like a great weekend Doug, we're real happy for ya!!

Must have been a bit of pucker factor going on in the 3rd TT!! Shocked

A fast truck and a bit of racing luck and you can go some rounds!! Nice job.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 15th 2009, 11:12 am

Thanks guys... I had a short chance while I was in Seattle to check out the forum, but for the life of me I couldn't remember my log-in info so I couldn't respond to any of it... Yeah bill, gettin' squirrely at over 100mph will give a guy an upholstery wedgie like you wouldn't believe... Laughing Laughing I'll post up a few other vids later from some other cars that I had time to get...

The best thing of the whole weekend is that I set 2 goals when I left... 1st was to win the truck class, and 2nd was to run a 9.70 somethin' pass... I'd say I came out pretty fair... Very Happy Very Happy Wink

I would like to express my thanks to Dean Peterson, for letting me use his suit for the weekend, and especially for loaning me his extra (winning) dizzy so I could go on to the win... Also, I'd like to thank my friend Randy Shaw, Ken (ranch71460), and mac460 for jumping in with both feet when the chips were down...

Now, back to this statement: "Ken (If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all) (ranch71460)" 'Ol Ken had gremlins in his pockets all weekend... He showed up at the track Saturday with a broken strut rod on the 'chero, then after having to wait until Sunday for the part to show up so he could make some passes, he gets it all back together and goes out to make a pass, and blows the rear yoke off the driveshaft at the launch on his 1st pass... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Talk about hard luck... I shoulda let him take the nuclear banana for a spin... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw September 15th 2009, 11:24 am

Cool deal you made it home. Think about the cars and truck we talk about so we can get on that new chassis Smile
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 15th 2009, 12:03 pm

"Ken (If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all) (ranch71460)"

He must have one of them there Hard Luck Chuck Voo Doo Dolls Razz

Congrats again Doug! That's just freakin' AWESOME!
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 15th 2009, 12:19 pm

Thanks Damon... I guess I also owe a BIG thanks to you all here, because without the wealth of knowledge from here I wouldn't have been able to build such an awesome rig... Cool Cool

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 15th 2009, 12:23 pm

I feel the same way Doug. Thanks to my friends and sponsors, I'm going quicker than ever cheers
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  mac460 September 15th 2009, 1:39 pm

well Doug nice to meet you and ken . by the way my name is Glenn Macpherson . glad to see you made it home ok aswell .
i sent ken a link to his viedo of his run. i will help anywhare i can . i need to get my motor back togeather .

Last edited by mac460 on September 15th 2009, 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac460
mac460

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P September 15th 2009, 1:48 pm

Congratulations on the WIN!

Cool

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss September 15th 2009, 3:38 pm

Congrats Doug. cheers

Anytime you are coming this way just give a heads up. If we are in the neighbourhood we will be happy to help out any way we can. Very Happy Very Happy

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn September 15th 2009, 5:35 pm

Congratulations Doug! It definitely looks like you had some fun.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 15th 2009, 6:26 pm

I'm glad you got to go Doug and Glad you won some $$$$$$$$. Now you need to change the ET/MPH on your signature Laughing Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranch71460 September 15th 2009, 7:00 pm

I had a blast wrenchin' with you Sunday Doug. I'll wear the scars from the heat off your head studs as a badge of honor Wink Laughing
I've learned... never tie down via the lower control arms (65-73 Mustang type suspension) , and ET Streets and all the Calvert suspension does hook hard Exclamation Exclamation
Glenn... post the vid showing my 3775 pound truck ( excluding my 225 #) trying to leave that Cobra sittin' .
Ranch71460
Ranch71460

Back to top Go down

Post  uf63 September 15th 2009, 7:05 pm

At-Boys from Minnesota proud of you Doug. You deserve the win!!!!!! cheers cheers cheers
uf63
uf63

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 15th 2009, 7:29 pm

Congrats from me as well, Doug. Sea level conditions( or close to it ) are great! Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kens68stang September 15th 2009, 9:38 pm

Congrats Doug!! Way to get er dun!!! Cool

kens68stang

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 15th 2009, 9:41 pm

I can't for the life of me understand where that spare dizzy of yours could have gone. Twisted Evil Oh yeah, I remember some guy selling me one from Montana. Congrats on the win there bud, you definately deserved it for all of the hard work you've put in on that beast. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 17th 2009, 2:26 pm

Thanks everybody... It means alot coming from the many who've helped me from here... Though this was probably one of those once in a lifetime deals for me, I can't think of a time when I had more fun at the track... Although, this morning I was already talking with some of this years sponsors to try and get back there next year... And yes Steve, sea level conditions are awesome... Twisted Evil

I should have some videos up later today from some of the other cars that we had a chance to video... Very Happy Cool

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael M September 23rd 2009, 5:47 pm

Congratulations! Not only your 9sec run but a win to boot. Very nice. So did you wear my stuff or a combination? I'd like to think I played a small (or long) part in your success?

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael M

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 23rd 2009, 5:54 pm

Thanks Michael, I used a combo of items from you and dean the 1st day but ended up using all of Dean's stuff on Sunday... Thanks for everything...

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down