BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fuel evaporation

+3
rmcomprandy
dfree383
GT300TD
7 posters

Go down

fuel evaporation  Empty fuel evaporation

Post  GT300TD December 5th 2011, 4:19 pm

This may seem like a silly question Rolling Eyes but...will gas evaporate if I leave it in my fuel cell over the winter? If so how much? It's 22 gallon with a 1/2" vent line. Should I cap the vent line when the car is stored? I start in occasionally and will drive it on dry, sunny days if it's not too cold. Also, should I add anything to it (93 octane pump gas)?
Thanks.

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

fuel evaporation  Empty Re: fuel evaporation

Post  dfree383 December 5th 2011, 4:21 pm

Put some fuel stabilizer in it.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 5th 2011, 7:09 pm

GT300TD wrote: This may seem like a silly question Rolling Eyes but...will gas evaporate if I leave it in my fuel cell over the winter? If so how much? It's 22 gallon with a 1/2" vent line. Should I cap the vent line when the car is stored? I start in occasionally and will drive it on dry, sunny days if it's not too cold. Also, should I add anything to it (93 octane pump gas)?
Thanks.

Getting the engine to start when cold in the winter may not be easy with summertime gasoline.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRed70 December 5th 2011, 7:21 pm

I was wondering the same thing but with 110 octane VP Racing gas in a 5 gal fuel cell ???????
OldRed70
OldRed70

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 5th 2011, 8:00 pm

dfree383 wrote:Put some fuel stabilizer in it.

X2

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD December 5th 2011, 8:02 pm

Randy,
I think I lucked out, I got it in the Fall and the guy at the Sunoco station said it was the first batch of the Winter Blend Very Happy .

Edit,
I thought you were kidding until I went to the other forum and found out there is a difference. HMMMMM, maybe I had better rethink this Embarassed

Last edited by GT300TD on December 5th 2011, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TRUKPULR December 5th 2011, 8:09 pm

I run Q16 and I always empty the fuel cell back in to the Gas can after I have the Truck loaded up on the trailer. This stuff evaporates so fast and at the cost of 18.00 a gal. I'll try to keep it in a closed container as much as I can.

I made the mistake the first time I trailer'd to a pull with a full fuel cell and it was half gone when I got to the pull 45 buck worth of fuel gone.

Dan
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD December 5th 2011, 8:27 pm

TRUKPULR wrote:I run Q16 and I always empty the fuel cell back in to the Gas can after I have the Truck loaded up on the trailer. This stuff evaporates so fast and at the cost of 18.00 a gal. I'll try to keep it in a closed container as much as I can.

I made the mistake the first time I trailer'd to a pull with a full fuel cell and it was half gone when I got to the pull 45 buck worth of fuel gone.

Dan

I wonder if putting a cap on the vent would prevent this?

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 5th 2011, 8:38 pm

Yes you can cap the vent off but like was said put some gas stabilizer in it and run it for the stablizer will get in the carb so the gas in the carb want jell up and stop the carb up
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TRUKPULR December 5th 2011, 9:20 pm

GT300TD wrote:
TRUKPULR wrote:I run Q16 and I always empty the fuel cell back in to the Gas can after I have the Truck loaded up on the trailer. This stuff evaporates so fast and at the cost of 18.00 a gal. I'll try to keep it in a closed container as much as I can.

Dan

Yes this sounds like a very easy solution to the problem. But you all know how hectic it gets when you show up to a pull or Race Track. You get to visiting and before you know it's your turn to pull and half way down the track the Truck starts to cough sputter and it quits at the 200' line. You get out and there it is looking ya right in the face the Cap you put on the vent still there .....

Dan

TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD December 5th 2011, 9:33 pm

TRUKPULR wrote:
GT300TD wrote:

Dan

Yes this sounds like a very easy solution to the problem. But you all know how hectic it gets when you show up to a pull or Race Track. You get to visiting and before you know it's your turn to pull and half way down the track the Truck starts to cough sputter and it quits at the 200' line. You get out and there it is looking ya right in the face the Cap you put on the vent still there ....

Dan

YUP...sure sounds like something I would do Embarassed !

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down