BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building help.

+2
665 falcon
Dave Maxwell
6 posters

Go down

Building help. Empty Building help.

Post  Dave Maxwell December 13th 2011, 1:24 pm

OK I need some decision help. Building with post on top of concrete or post in ground buried in concrete. In ground says they have a fifty year rot warranty. It is Morton. Prices are same and materials look to be about the same. Can't decide. Other company is privately owned and such compared to Morton. Good warranty both ways

Dave Maxwell

Back to top Go down

Building help. Empty Re: Building help.

Post  665 falcon December 13th 2011, 1:55 pm

If it was me, i bury it in concrecte. I went down 4 feet below the frost line. Imo i think it makes it for a sturdy building.
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 13th 2011, 2:19 pm

Burry them.... You won't be around by the time they rott off..... If you are, it will just take a little work to make them like thae ones on top.... cheers
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 13th 2011, 3:30 pm

Question... If you bury the poles do you have to worry about them eventually sinking into the ground over the years due to the weight of the building? Or are the poles tied into the slab with rebar to distribute the load?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 13th 2011, 3:39 pm

Last one I built, I didn't actually set them in Concrete, I poured a slab on the bottom of the holes About 3'x3' and 6" thick, stood up and the plumbed the structure, backfilled with gravel and then drilled holes on the posts and stuck rebar thru to tie them to the slab.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav December 13th 2011, 4:16 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Question... If you bury the poles do you have to worry about them eventually sinking into the ground over the years due to the weight of the building? Or are the poles tied into the slab with rebar to distribute the load?

They dont bury nothin in New Orleans John. Razz Razz Razz
As far as sinking no John, as long as they are below frost line. Some pour a bag in and let it harden. then install the pole. Also available are "Cookies", a cement block with a notch sized for the pole that you bury.

Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon December 13th 2011, 9:39 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Question... If you bury the poles do you have to worry about them eventually sinking into the ground over the years due to the weight of the building? Or are the poles tied into the slab with rebar to distribute the load?

Good question John, the bottom line is the material that your building is sitting on. Like Dave said if you have a good bottom, pour a pad and be done with it. If the material your dealing with is (NOT) sound, meaning a good bottom and you have a high water table. Dig a sump and pump it out, pour your pad. And what we call it up hear in MA is a big foot, witch is a 2x2 foot sitting on a 3x3 pad works good. Im all done typing tonight, Dave M if you want to PM me and talk on the phone im all ear's brother.
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 13th 2011, 11:20 pm

mine are 4'in the ground then just poured the slab.after its poured "IF" you just wanted to you could use angle and lag bolt to the post and redheads or helti bolts to the slab,thats how most folks anchor them anyway.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Maxwell December 14th 2011, 11:32 pm

Looks like its going to be in ground post. Morton has the best warranty. Priced 3024 SF of concrete. Ouch

Dave Maxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 15th 2011, 12:04 am

Dave Maxwell wrote:Looks like its going to be in ground post. Morton has the best warranty. Priced 3024 SF of concrete. Ouch
hurts dont it! affraid you should get a discount for that many yd's.i got $10 a yard off on my 60x60.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Maxwell December 15th 2011, 11:15 am

cool40 wrote:
Dave Maxwell wrote:Looks like its going to be in ground post. Morton has the best warranty. Priced 3024 SF of concrete. Ouch
hurts dont it! affraid you should get a discount for that many yd's.i got $10 a yard off on my 60x60.
that would be nice

Dave Maxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down