BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mistake error oversite

+16
res0rli9
jasonf
466cj
schmitty
c.evans
cletus66
Paul Kane
jbozzelle
dfree383
LivermoreDave
DFI429
Race Ready Fabrications
cool40
bbf-falcon
342g
IDT-572
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mistake error oversite Empty Mistake error oversite

Post  IDT-572 December 22nd 2011, 10:12 pm

Embarassed

Two years ago as many on here will remember, is when I had my TFS Street engine on the dyno, Well when it was first pulled I tightened valve lash and rolled the cam back, doing everything to make the engine think the cam was bigger. The engine responded with more power on every step, leading me and others to the conclusion it wanted more cam.

Now stepping forward to the time we tested the TFS proto type heads Charlie and I did for TFS on my 557 I brought a slightly different (bigger) cam with me to re test thinking the original cam was too small.

(Here is where the mistake comes in) I have always preached to degree every cam you install even on a stock rebuild. But this is the one and only time I didn't practice what I preached and it bit me in the butt. I installed this bigger cam while we were doing our proto type testing and didn't degree it. All the time thinking the Danny B belt drive would solve any timing mistakes the cam may of had if ground wrong. You see I was going to just move the cam in the engine till I found the sweet spot it wanted.

I ended up advancing the cam 8 degrees to get it to make the same power the smaller cam had made, and at that point I was out of adjustment on the belt drive, and stopped the test thinking the cam was just to big and that the smaller original cam was probably optimal.

Now fast forward to Monday night this week. I'm building a good friend of mine a A headed dome piston 514 and decided to use the cam tested above. As I began to degree the cam, very quickly noticed something was way wrong and found the cam with the roller 8 position gear and chain at the +8 degree mark the cam was retarded almost -5 degrees.

I had to jump a tooth and set the gear at the -6 mark to get it where I wanted it to be.

So my old 557 probably would have pulled a good bit higher hp number if if stuck to what I have always said about dialing a cam in. With the cam in the engine between 4-5 degrees retarded I killed a good bit of cylinder pressure. When I sized the newer cam I made sure to keep the overlap close to the same as the first one. I probably will never know how much was left on the table, but every little bit you can get is good.

Just thought I would share one of my many mistakes in life.................. Embarassed
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Mistake error oversite Empty Re: Mistake error oversite

Post  342g December 22nd 2011, 10:45 pm

Now I am hurt, I have told so many people, you would never make that mistake, it will take me days, maybe weeks to tell everyone I know, you screwed up. Very Happy cheers
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 22nd 2011, 11:36 pm

You are forgiven brother. As we have spoken before. It can't be possible that both of us could be perfect. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 December 22nd 2011, 11:42 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:You are forgiven brother. As we have spoken before. It can't be possible that both of us could be perfect. Very Happy

Very Happy Shocked
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 23rd 2011, 12:01 am

well.................just wait till i see you Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz lucky for Don you got you game on!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 December 23rd 2011, 12:05 am

cool40 wrote:well.................just wait till i see you Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz lucky for Don you got you game on!

Lee, you don't happen to have a tilt auto column for a 91 F150 do you, or that Ford junk yard close to you, think he might have one?
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 December 23rd 2011, 12:06 am

cool40 wrote:well.................just wait till i see you Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz lucky for Don you got you game on!

You should have heard Don when He saw me jumping a tooth on his deal to get it right................... Laughing
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications December 23rd 2011, 12:26 am

Good info and thanks for sharing Blake. Gives me hope for my new bullet.....I was shootin for 850 but maybe 875's possible Twisted Evil
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 23rd 2011, 12:36 am

IDT-572 wrote:

You should have heard Don when He saw me jumping a tooth on his deal to get it right................... Laughing
i'd loved to see the look on his face! Laughing i dont have a column but i'll check with them and see,i gota do another parts run for my 68.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 December 23rd 2011, 12:42 am

[quote="cool40"]
IDT-572 wrote:

i'd loved to see the look on his face! Laughing i dont have a column but i'll check with them and see,i gota do another parts run for my 68.[/quote

Thanks.................
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 December 23rd 2011, 1:40 am

Funny.. Today in the shop at work (fighter aircraft engines Wink ), had a "pro" we work with tell us we could change out a lever arm (we found a problem with) because it had a blind spline to "make it the same".. so that makes it "match up"... Rolling Eyes Mad

Yeah, the Tech Rep got the answer we expected... NO.

460s can, and should be degreed, with a little education

Some things on fighter aircraft engines are restricted Wink
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave December 23rd 2011, 2:08 am

I too made a mistake somewhat similar to yours although of much different context!

When I was young, freshman in high school I think, three of us guys enjoyed the company of a lovely young classmate. Being the undergrad, I had to ride last! Didn't take long for me to realize something was wrong! It was way to difficult to piss! I spoke to my buddies about this, they said yea unless you want to go to the doctor with your parents there is an alternative to cure my new found pain. Of course I didn't want my parents to know, so I asked what was the cure. They told me to lay the infected item in the window seal and slam the window down on it and this would remove the problem. Damn, this was surely going to be rough, but anything to keep my parents from finding out!

Now here's where things take an unexpected turn. I did as the guys suggested. The problem, I passed out from the pain! When I woke, dad was standing over me in the doctor's office. Holly shit, what happened I thought and what was dad doing there and where was I? Well dad began to explain what my problem was and as dad's can be, understanding and have a keen sense to embarrass the hell out of you of concerns of this type!

As I tried to explain and embarrassed that he found me lying on the floor naked with the head of my pecker looking like a violet colored tulip, he said,"you don't need to explain to me, it was your mom that found you".

Now let me tell you, whatever mistakes you make in life, none can be worse than mine! Blake, your mistake wasn't as bad as you thought, was it!

LOL,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 23rd 2011, 7:55 am

LivermoreDave wrote:I too made a mistake somewhat similar to yours although of much different context!

When I was young, freshman in high school I think, three of us guys enjoyed the company of a lovely young classmate. Being the undergrad, I had to ride last! Didn't take long for me to realize something was wrong! It was way to difficult to piss! I spoke to my buddies about this, they said yea unless you want to go to the doctor with your parents there is an alternative to cure my new found pain. Of course I didn't want my parents to know, so I asked what was the cure. They told me to lay the infected item in the window seal and slam the window down on it and this would remove the problem. Damn, this was surely going to be rough, but anything to keep my parents from finding out!

Now here's where things take an unexpected turn. I did as the guys suggested. The problem, I passed out from the pain! When I woke, dad was standing over me in the doctor's office. Holly shit, what happened I thought and what was dad doing there and where was I? Well dad began to explain what my problem was and as dad's can be, understanding and have a keen sense to embarrass the hell out of you of concerns of this type!

As I tried to explain and embarrassed that he found me lying on the floor naked with the head of my pecker looking like a violet colored tulip, he said,"you don't need to explain to me, it was your mom that found you".

Now let me tell you, whatever mistakes you make in life, none can be worse than mine! Blake, your mistake wasn't as bad as you thought, was it!

LOL,
Dave.
Wink Ouch.........
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 23rd 2011, 12:50 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:I too made a mistake somewhat similar to yours although of much different context!

LOL,
Dave.

Spoken only as eloquently as LivermoreDave can...!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 23rd 2011, 2:28 pm

IDT-572 wrote: Embarassed

Two years ago as many on here will remember, is when I had my TFS Street engine on the dyno, Well when it was first pulled I tightened valve lash and rolled the cam back, doing everything to make the engine think the cam was bigger. The engine responded with more power on every step, leading me and others to the conclusion it wanted more cam.

Now stepping forward to the time we tested the TFS proto type heads Charlie and I did for TFS on my 557 I brought a slightly different (bigger) cam with me to re test thinking the original cam was too small.

(Here is where the mistake comes in) I have always preached to degree every cam you install even on a stock rebuild. But this is the one and only time I didn't practice what I preached and it bit me in the butt. I installed this bigger cam while we were doing our proto type testing and didn't degree it. All the time thinking the Danny B belt drive would solve any timing mistakes the cam may of had if ground wrong. You see I was going to just move the cam in the engine till I found the sweet spot it wanted.

I ended up advancing the cam 8 degrees to get it to make the same power the smaller cam had made, and at that point I was out of adjustment on the belt drive, and stopped the test thinking the cam was just to big and that the smaller original cam was probably optimal.

Now fast forward to Monday night this week. I'm building a good friend of mine a A headed dome piston 514 and decided to use the cam tested above. As I began to degree the cam, very quickly noticed something was way wrong and found the cam with the roller 8 position gear and chain at the +8 degree mark the cam was retarded almost -5 degrees.

I had to jump a tooth and set the gear at the -6 mark to get it where I wanted it to be.

So my old 557 probably would have pulled a good bit higher hp number if if stuck to what I have always said about dialing a cam in. With the cam in the engine between 4-5 degrees retarded I killed a good bit of cylinder pressure. When I sized the newer cam I made sure to keep the overlap close to the same as the first one. I probably will never know how much was left on the table, but every little bit you can get is good.

Just thought I would share one of my many mistakes in life.................. Embarassed
There is nothing wrong with occassional oversight; it keeps us "in-check" and we become better enlightened by the experience. Smile

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 23rd 2011, 2:31 pm

LOL,
Dave.
Now that there is a crystal clear analogy, lol. Razz
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 December 23rd 2011, 3:22 pm

Good info. And no damage involved. A friend of mine was dinking around with a gear drive and managed to bend some valves. Mad Laughing
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans December 23rd 2011, 4:26 pm

LOL,
Dave.

Guys,

Livermoron Dave may have been embarassed in his youth about his "clap" problem, and with his parents finding him passed out naked,,,,,,,,,BUT.
Unfortunately, he wasn't at all embarassed today and enjoyed telling us this true story,,,,,,,,,while Lawes and I were trying to eat lunch Exclamation Talk about gross What a Face

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 23rd 2011, 11:34 pm

LOL,
Dave.

Damn Dave,thats a little more than we needed too know about you. Embarassed Razz Laughing

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty December 24th 2011, 1:11 am

Blake, we all learn from mistakes, and that is how some of the most lasting lessons stay with us. These things should not beat us up, but make us more aware of the one thing we all need to remember, always take care and spend the extra time doing it right the first time around. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj December 24th 2011, 10:41 am

Seems to be some unwritten law; you can check something a 1,000 times and never find a problem, but don't check the 1,001 and that will be the one that is wrong! Atleast has been my luck.

Steve

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 27th 2011, 11:17 pm

And do you realize that you told me I didn't need to degree the stick in my bucket???? Smile
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 December 28th 2011, 12:31 am

jasonf wrote:And do you realize that you told me I didn't need to degree the stick in my bucket???? Smile

Rolling Eyes Smile

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  738drvr January 2nd 2012, 4:48 pm

Blake, you're still my favorite engine builder. That reminds me... Wink
738drvr
738drvr

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 2nd 2012, 11:30 pm

738drvr wrote:Blake, you're still my favorite engine builder. That reminds me... Wink

Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next