BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane....

+6
longroofracer
512Fairlane
NO FAIR
res0rli9
72mav
cletus66
10 posters

Go down

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane.... Empty granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane....

Post  cletus66 September 17th 2009, 9:23 am

Has anybody here done it? How about bumpsteer issues? I can find lots of info on Mustangs, but very little solid info specific to the '64 Fairlane. If you have done this swap, I would appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks. Very Happy

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane.... Fairlane004

Last edited by cletus66 on September 22nd 2009, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane.... Empty Re: granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane....

Post  72mav September 17th 2009, 1:44 pm

Jeff,
Go to www.midnightangelracing.com Joe, (az fairlane) shows up there some too.
Charlie, the site owner has a wagon hes converted over, plus other 64 stuff.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane.... Empty Re: granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane....

Post  res0rli9 September 17th 2009, 3:12 pm

www.mustangsteve.com on the right middle side of home page in the tech info.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 September 17th 2009, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the links guys. Cool I'll check 'em out. Very Happy
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  NO FAIR September 17th 2009, 11:42 pm

Try this web site, should be able to answer your questions
Dave
Smile
http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/
NO FAIR
NO FAIR

Back to top Go down

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane.... Empty Easy Swap

Post  512Fairlane September 20th 2009, 10:02 pm

I have the Granada Spindles on my car. I did it 13 years ago but I think it was basically a bolt on deal. The only thing I remember buying special was the tie rod ends. I bought them from Crites restorations. I believe the stock ball joints from the Fairlane even worked. I used a master cylinder from a 69 Mustang disc/drum car. Recently I changed out the Mustang master cylinder for a 95 Ford ranger pick up cylinder to pick up some valve cover clearance and save some weight. Both Master cylinders were bolt on's in place of my factory non-power master cylinder. I used factory Granada brake hoses. Easy swap.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer September 20th 2009, 10:36 pm

Chris has a lot of good info here... including a real parts number list.
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/diskbrakes.html

Good luck with it Jeff.

Tom
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 September 21st 2009, 9:21 am

512Fairlane wrote:I have the Granada Spindles on my car. I did it 13 years ago but I think it was basically a bolt on deal. The only thing I remember buying special was the tie rod ends. I bought them from Crites restorations. I believe the stock ball joints from the Fairlane even worked. I used a master cylinder from a 69 Mustang disc/drum car. Recently I changed out the Mustang master cylinder for a 95 Ford ranger pick up cylinder to pick up some valve cover clearance and save some weight. Both Master cylinders were bolt on's in place of my factory non-power master cylinder. I used factory Granada brake hoses. Easy swap.

Thanks for all the info and links guys.

512, so I can take it from your wheels-up picture that bumpsteer is not an issue when you come back down. Laughing I think I'm gonna go for it. Very Happy
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane.... Empty Lowered Upper A-arm Mounting Point

Post  512Fairlane September 22nd 2009, 10:23 pm

Something else we did that I forgot to mention is that we lowered the upper A-arm mounting point. This was not necessary for the spindle swap but it improved the suspension geometry. Most of these cars will have a great deal of camber when the front end is off the ground. We lowered the mount around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" I believe (its been a while). This allowed the upper spindle to travel in an arc instead of moving inward as the front end comes up. This was an old Shelby trick on the Mustangs unfortunately on the Fairlane it is much more difficult to do. We had to cut the mounting point off the frame, section it and lower it. Then reweld it to the frame and beef it up with a 1/4" plate. We also made a wedge shaped spacer in between the upper a-arm and ball joint since the a-arm is angled upward towards the spindle at ride height instead of level. I'm not sure I have any digital pictures of the upper mounts but I'll take a look.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane September 22nd 2009, 10:32 pm

cletus66 wrote:

512, so I can take it from your wheels-up picture that bumpsteer is not an issue when you come back down. Laughing I think I'm gonna go for it. Very Happy

I wouldn't say bumpsteer doesn't exist but I don't have any handling issues even at 130 MPH. The biggest problem I've had with the wheelies is that the upper a-arms tend to slide in. Since they bolt straight down instead of into the side of the shock tower like a Mustang they tend to slide in after a few wheel stands. I wish I would have tack welded them in place the last time I had the motor out like the factory did. I have to keep an eye on toe in but when its set right the car drives straight.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane.... Empty Thanks...

Post  cletus66 September 22nd 2009, 10:45 pm

512Fairlane, thanks for your real-world info. A google search left me somewhere between "it is no problem", and "a pothole will put you into the trees"..... Shocked

For what I'm doing with this car, it should be a good, cost effective upgrade. Cool
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 23rd 2009, 5:32 pm

Just a thought jeff. Have you thought of just using a Mustang upper?Maybe easier to install than the fairlane one. As long as all the pivot centers were the same, and allow enough room for the different mounting? That way your ball-joint would be in the same location.
Keep the questions comming Jeff.we will come up with something.
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 September 24th 2009, 9:53 am

Al Martin wrote:Just a thought jeff. Have you thought of just using a Mustang upper?Maybe easier to install than the fairlane one. As long as all the pivot centers were the same, and allow enough room for the different mounting? That way your ball-joint would be in the same location.
Keep the questions comming Jeff.we will come up with something.
Regards.
Al

I'm just going to leave that stock with new parts. The Mustang inner bolts are horizontal, and the Fairlane bolts are vertical. I'm not gonna open that can of worms. Shocked This will be a cruiser only. No racing involved. Cool
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  kens68stang September 26th 2009, 3:39 am

Jeff, If you don't want to replace your tie rod ends they make a tapered bushing to adapt the smaller stud on your factory tie rods to the granada spindle. Like was said its basically a bolt on deal. It's a nice low buck swap. Ken

kens68stang

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 September 27th 2009, 10:41 pm

Thanks Ken, I'm going to redo the complete front suspension with a kit from PST. Their kit comes with outer tie rod ends, and I'll have them send Granada parts. I have used their parts on 2 cars and had good luck with them. Their kit is 249 bucks, and has all the stuff I need. Very Happy Cool
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 27th 2009, 11:47 pm

cletus66 wrote:Thanks Ken, I'm going to redo the complete front suspension with a kit from PST. Their kit comes with outer tie rod ends, and I'll have them send Granada parts. I have used their parts on 2 cars and had good luck with them. Their kit is 249 bucks, and has all the stuff I need. Very Happy Cool

Whats there web site... PST that is, never mind found it.

Keith

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 28th 2009, 12:25 am

( There kit is 249 bucks ) I didnt see anything under 799 bucks???

Keith

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 September 29th 2009, 12:52 am

res0rli9 wrote:( There kit is 249 bucks ) I didnt see anything under 799 bucks???

Keith

Sorry, I was talking about ball joints and bushings. Not brakes. I am going to rebuild the suspension with their stuff and use the Granada spindles and rotors that I have already.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 29th 2009, 1:15 am

cletus66 wrote:
res0rli9 wrote:( There kit is 249 bucks ) I didnt see anything under 799 bucks???

Keith

Sorry, I was talking about ball joints and bushings. Not brakes. I am going to rebuild the suspension with their stuff and use the Granada spindles and rotors that I have already.

10-4 Wink

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford September 29th 2009, 1:17 am

Dude cut your losses and ask AJE for some support.. They make a K-member with Rack & Pinion.. Front strut..

We have one of their K-members in a 1969 stang

http://www.ajeracing.com/
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 October 2nd 2009, 3:43 pm

westsideford wrote:Dude cut your losses and ask AJE for some support.. They make a K-member with Rack & Pinion.. Front strut..

We have one of their K-members in a 1969 stang

http://www.ajeracing.com/

I went to that site, but didn't see anything for a Fairlane. Mustang stuff is different. That stuff would be cool on my 67 Fastback though.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 2nd 2009, 11:21 pm

512Fairlane wrote:I have the Granada Spindles on my car. I did it 13 years ago but I think it was basically a bolt on deal. The only thing I remember buying special was the tie rod ends. I bought them from Crites restorations. I believe the stock ball joints from the Fairlane even worked. I used a master cylinder from a 69 Mustang disc/drum car. Recently I changed out the Mustang master cylinder for a 95 Ford ranger pick up cylinder to pick up some valve cover clearance and save some weight. Both Master cylinders were bolt on's in place of my factory non-power master cylinder. I used factory Granada brake hoses. Easy swap.
X2, EXactly

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jc10000rpm October 5th 2009, 3:26 pm

jeff, was the car originally a v8 or six cyl car??

i would probably mount some caliper brackets to my orig. spindles and use rotors and hats from the cheap stock-car style brake setups

this looks like a good setup and has all the parts listed at bottom of page

http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=12

jc10000rpm

Back to top Go down

granada disc brakes on '64 Fairlane.... Empty Granada Tie Rod Ends Won't Work

Post  512Fairlane October 11th 2009, 10:14 pm

Jeff I noticed in your earlier post that you were going to buy the Fairlane rebuild kit and substitute Granada tie rod ends. I don't believe they will work. The tie rod ends you need are not Fairlane or Granada. I don't remember the exact details but I believe the Fairlane has one left hand and one right hand threaded rod and the Granada did not. You need a special rod end with the Granada spindle taper but the Fairlane threaded end. I know Crites sells them and I'm sure there is an off the shelf one that will work but the standard Granada one will not. Hope this helps.

Mike
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 October 22nd 2009, 9:39 am

512Fairlane wrote:Jeff I noticed in your earlier post that you were going to buy the Fairlane rebuild kit and substitute Granada tie rod ends. I don't believe they will work. The tie rod ends you need are not Fairlane or Granada. I don't remember the exact details but I believe the Fairlane has one left hand and one right hand threaded rod and the Granada did not. You need a special rod end with the Granada spindle taper but the Fairlane threaded end. I know Crites sells them and I'm sure there is an off the shelf one that will work but the standard Granada one will not. Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to get the right stuff. The Fairlane is on temporary hold right now. Too many projects at once. Embarassed Hopefully I can get back on it next month.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down