BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow.

+15
GT300TD
bowsher21
Hangman
stangr8cr
richter69
powerstrokeace
TRUKPULR
billandlori
KY JELLY
dfree383
res0rli9
samiam
Tommyj466
zbob
bigblok2000ranger
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. Empty Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow.

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 11th 2012, 5:39 pm

Been trying to figure out how to save money on gas and the Hydrogen/HHO conversions kept coming up so I decided to build my own yesterday. It is really neat how they are made. I watched a bunch of video's on Youtube on how to make a simple one but decided to up the game a little and use common PVC pipe and fittings. My first version I built last night did work but didn't quite produce as much hydrogen as I was hoping so I did a little more research and decided to rebuild it with larger electrodes, cost a whopping $4 to upgrade to electrodes with 10x the surface area and it increased the output almost proportianetly. I am gonna wire it into the truck today and test it out tomorrow. I may have to add another cell to get the mileage increase I would like but with the supplie I already have it will only cost $10 to build a second one. I built the first one and revised it for a whopping $50 total and I seen several companies selling these for as much as $900 maybe I should start making them and selling them myself.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. Empty Re: Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow.

Post  zbob February 11th 2012, 6:46 pm

hmm, without pics i would say something extra got thrown in the woodstove that smelled funny....lol, zbob

zbob

Back to top Go down

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. Empty Re: Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow.

Post  Tommyj466 February 11th 2012, 7:18 pm

To maximize efficiency you should really add one of those "tornado" things to the throttle body at the same time Smile

TJ
Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 11th 2012, 8:00 pm

Bob I can post pics another day the wife is on the good PC. But I will. One of the local trash companies here has done this on all their garbage trucks and said it has saved them tens of thousands of dollars in fuel per year.

Tornado??? Was that a joke?
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam February 11th 2012, 8:17 pm

cant wait to see it, I ve been wanting to put one on my diesel truck, but still havent figured how to do it down stream, I dont think it would be wise to have a inner cooler full a HHO , I m workin on a set up that is boost equivelent,,,,, Ideas ???
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyj466 February 11th 2012, 8:41 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:Bob I can post pics another day the wife is on the good PC. But I will. One of the local trash companies here has done this on all their garbage trucks and said it has saved them tens of thousands of dollars in fuel per year.

Tornado??? Was that a joke?

Yeah, Let's just say I'm a little skeptical. Please let us know how you're science experiment goes. If it works for you I may have to rig something up for my F350 tow rig! Ha Ha

TJ
Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 11th 2012, 11:03 pm

samiam wrote:cant wait to see it, I ve been wanting to put one on my diesel truck, but still havent figured how to do it down stream, I dont think it would be wise to have a inner cooler full a HHO , I m workin on a set up that is boost equivelent,,,,, Ideas ???

There are several ways to go about it, wet cells and dry cells coils vs. plates. They can go from very basic to very intricate. There are a bunch of videos of them built in Mason jars. When I post the pics and tell how it is made you will laugh your ass off at the simplicity of the deal.

Yeah, Let's just say I'm a little skeptical. Please let us know how you're science experiment goes. If it works for you I may have to rig something up for my F350 tow rig! Ha Ha

TJ[/quote]

I can understand being skepical I honestly was at first but there is some local proof that they work otherwise I probably wouldn't have built one to begin with. I even tested it to make sure it is making Hydrogen (atleast a flammable gas is being made).
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 12th 2012, 1:42 am

My nephew was building them 10 years go and has them on his car and truck..and yes they work.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 12th 2012, 6:28 am

any pics? Diagrams? what kinda MPG improvements?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY February 12th 2012, 8:53 am

How much hydrogen is in a set amount of water , do you have to constantly add fresh water ? I take it the only way to introduce it is by the induction system syphoning it from the cell ? How much psi does the cell naturally build ?
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori February 12th 2012, 10:16 am

Hitching a ride!! I watched a bunch of vidoes about this a while ago.....seemed pretty cool!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  TRUKPULR February 12th 2012, 4:57 pm

I've been looking at the Dry Cells .. they gotten pretty sophisticated in the last few years with expansion cambers and spark arresters and pop off caps and all. After studying the video's I found my Diesel Truck will need the 185 plate Dry Cell to produce enough hho gas to off set the cost of building the cell.

Also if your using one in a EFI engine then you have to get a Chip of some type to cheat the computer, other wise the puter will see a lean reading and add more fuel making fuel mileage go down.

Dan
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 12th 2012, 9:20 pm

Well Been testing it today and it seems as though I am getting about 20% increase with my very basic cell, it holds approximatetly 1 1/2 quarts water and I used 1 tablespoon of baking soda as catalist. From what I have read the water will need to be changed and electrodes cleaned between 30-90 days. I am gonna try to build yet another electrode setup tomorrow to add even more surface area, more surface area=more hydrogen. Currently I am using (don't laugh because it is working) 2 stainless steel spatulas as electrodes. My DD is carberated and the way I am introducing the hydrogen into the engine is by t-ing into the PCV valve vacuum hose. I have saved ~$10 in gas today using this so I am happy but I am no where near optimised yet. In it's current state I believe I would see $30-40 a week savings in gas. This setup would probably be good for 30% increase in mileage or more on a 4 cylinder.

My next electrode setup will be 8 2"x6" stainless steel plates this should in theory add 600% surface area and as much of an increase in HHO production.

Will post pics tomorrow.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace February 12th 2012, 10:11 pm

So How do you keep it from freezing?

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 12th 2012, 11:04 pm

LOL I removed the cell tonight when I parked the truck because I don't know the answer to that myself. I was thinking of putting some windshield washer fluid in it but I don't want to make a bomb inside my cab. I bought a fire extinguisher bracket to hold the cell in place inside the cab.

Interesting side note I drove my truck for ~6 hours today and it used ~1 quart of water.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  TRUKPULR February 13th 2012, 7:15 am

There a Video on You tube that shows how to make a winter mix. it has Isopropyl Alcohol in it as the anti freeze agent.

Dan
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 13th 2012, 2:03 pm

I will go look and see if I can find that. Thank you.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 13th 2012, 2:22 pm

I did a science fair project over this in like the 5th grade, went all the way to state with it.

Now I'm fixing these junk ass diesel trucks for a living, so much for being something when I grew up lol.

It is comical all the contraptions that you find on all these vehicles that come in with the intention of saving a buck..................and they are rollin on 22's.................. Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 13th 2012, 9:21 pm

No 22's here factory steelies with M/S 16 inchers for me, 22's belong on busses.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. Empty Pics I promised

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 14th 2012, 11:57 am

Here are the pics I promised this is version 3.0 of electrodes, there are 8 2"x4" plates effectively giving me 600% increase in surface area. After testing this a little while ago it is making slightly more hydrogen with no catalist as the 2 electrodes were making with baking soda as a catalist. The nice thing about not using a catalist is the plates stay clean, with catalist the plates were blackened withing seconds and with this set-up there is no sign of corrosion whatsoever.

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. IMG_1915

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. IMG_1914

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. IMG_1913

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. IMG_1912

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. IMG_1911

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. IMG_1910

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. IMG_1909
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  stangr8cr February 14th 2012, 12:19 pm

I had a neighbor do this with an older full size Blazer and claim improvement in mileage................ but it SURE DID LOOK homemade!!! That looks pretty nice there. I don't recall what he claimed in improved mileage but he said it worked. Let us know how it works out for you, again nice looking work Cool

Boo Boo
stangr8cr
stangr8cr
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 14th 2012, 1:59 pm

Thanks, based on my driving that I did Sunday I seen ~30% increase in mileage. To me that is significant, that was with too much ampreage for the 2 electrode setup I was using and way too much catalist. The setup I have shown above will probably be run with no catalist and produce just a hint more hydrogen than previously. I was gonna run this setup with catalist originally but seeing the damage the catalist did to the spatulas I am thinking the slight increase offered here with no catalist will be worth the effort.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. Empty Now I'm interested

Post  Hangman February 14th 2012, 7:38 pm

A couple of questions for you.

Looks like you made a nice set-up there. How are you controlling amperage to the plates?
I'm a little lost on how this works on a carb'd vehicle. You hooked it up with the pcv valve location, so that is where you must be introducing the extra "air" to the engine. Did you have to adjust your idle down and how is your throttle position vs before hooking up this system?
I'm definitely interested in learning more about this set-up and would like to do something with my truck-10mpg as of now.
Do you think there would be a way of running fully on this system and "turning off" the fuel in the carb say, after warm-up?

Hangman

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 14th 2012, 8:22 pm

I believe that I am gonna need to figure out how to control the amperage now with this more efficient plate system I used a quart of water in just over an hour today at full voltage but I had used a catalist which increased the hydrogen output. The spatulas I had previously must have been some of the cheepest stainless ever made because the plates I have now did not corrode at all with the catalist. I think one could run completely off of hydrogen but not sure how to regulate the production yet. I have mine t-ed into the PCV vacuum which was referred to hydrogen on demand method. I seen a GMC yukon with 6 cells that was getting 38mpg's.

I am still in the experimenting stage with this but it definitly is helping mileage if I can get enough capacity with the plate system I have now and a catalist I believe I can double my mileage.

As a side note I found out today when the electrode are not completetly submerged in water they draw alot of amperage and create a decent amount of heat.

I am gonna build another tank that will hold atleast a full gallon of water or more have to see where I have the space to mount this.

With full voltage and catalist with new plate system today it raised the idle ~200 rpm's which is not significant but does show how roughly how much it is producing.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Just built an HHO cell and gonna try it out tomorrow. Empty Stainless

Post  bowsher21 February 23rd 2012, 11:16 am

"The spatulas I had previously must have been some of the cheepest stainless ever made because the plates I have now did not corrode at all with the catalist."

Your spatulas were likely type 18/0 stainless (high content of iron 0% nickel), your plates are likely type 304 (higher grade ss with 10% nickel). The nickel will resist corosion.

Question; How is the hydrogen stored or is it created when called for by throttle position?

chuckshowcarphoto@sbcglobal.net
bowsher21
bowsher21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next