BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot Rod Magazine 20 Best V8's of all time...

+11
John I.
quick 52
GT300TD
dfree383
bbf-falcon
res0rli9
rmcomprandy
schmitty
whitefield
richter69
4thHorseman
15 posters

Go down

Hot Rod Magazine 20 Best V8's of all time... Empty Hot Rod Magazine 20 Best V8's of all time...

Post  4thHorseman February 12th 2012, 5:09 pm

385 series #13 Shocked

Really?!? With the same "performance potential" as a SBF, SBC ???

Of course BBC was #2 and SBC was #1. Go Figure. geek
Whatever...

Probably #13 because it spells bad luck to the chebbie guys (see rear view of my '69 Mach). Just ask around at our little piss ant track. The 385 guys got mucho respecto.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Hot Rod Magazine 20 Best V8's of all time... Empty Re: Hot Rod Magazine 20 Best V8's of all time...

Post  richter69 February 12th 2012, 7:31 pm

who even reads those things anyway.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Hot Rod Magazine 20 Best V8's of all time... Empty Re: Hot Rod Magazine 20 Best V8's of all time...

Post  whitefield February 12th 2012, 7:41 pm

richter69 wrote:who even reads those things anyway.

The kids at my school that take my class. Then I get to here how great chuby's are ! Evil or Very Mad
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 12th 2012, 7:53 pm

my point is since the advent of all the internet, smartphones etc I'm surprised a magazine is still even available, I damn sure donet buy them anymore lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty February 12th 2012, 8:02 pm

Wow, I knew we wouldn't be in the top 5, but to be 13 pretty much shows of the ignorance of the masses. Evil or Very Mad
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield February 12th 2012, 8:03 pm

I still get MM&FF! Laughing I here you!
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 12th 2012, 8:20 pm

BEST has a lot of definitions to a lot of different people; to a magazine it is probably which ones have given them the most material to write articles about and make them money, lol.

Let's see ... "BEST" really needs to be defined here;
best engineered...?
best looking...?
best oiling...?
best for least maintenance...?
best over-all power when originally released...?
best in production form...?
best when slightly modified...?
best with available aftermarket parts..."
best with mileage...?
best with making torque disregarding horsepower..."
best horsepower disregarding torque...?
best adaptable to other venues...?
best to work on...?
best over-all packaging...?
best actual longevity...?
best perceived endurance...?
that's some of what can be important to different people
best engine to be screwed-up the most before something bad happens could even be someone's preference.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 12th 2012, 8:30 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:BEST has a lot of definitions to a lot of different people; to a magazine it is probably which ones have given them the most material to write articles about and make them money, lol.

Let's see ... "BEST" really needs to be defined here;
best engineered...?
best looking...?
best oiling...?
best for least maintenance...?
best over-all power when originally released...?
best in production form...?
best when slightly modified...?
best with available aftermarket parts..."
best with mileage...?
best with making torque disregarding horsepower..."
best horsepower disregarding torque...?
best adaptable to other venues...?
best to work on...?
best over-all packaging...?
best actual longevity...?
best perceived endurance...?
that's some of what can be important to different people
best engine to be screwed-up the most before something bad happens could even be someone's preference.

BUT!! In your Best opinion what is the Best???? Smile

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 13th 2012, 12:42 am

I expected nothing less from a peterson publication. I still enjoy the articles like the 4 door Catalina pulling the wheels and the hilljacks in their overalls cheering it on. That car is Cool as hell I think.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 13th 2012, 1:39 am

Very Very Biased artical...... But hey, who cares what they like.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD February 13th 2012, 9:33 am

Bet they never checked out HIGH FLOW DYNAMICS. I quit buying those rag mags 30 years ago. Sure is nice to have Ford sites like this one where the 'truth is spoken' cheers Very Happy .

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 February 13th 2012, 9:46 am

being in a few drag week & power tours big block fords r very few not saying there not fast or a cool motor just the masses see chevy in every thing built out there.. sbc & bbc are very popular what i dont under stand is the sbf should of placed up with them

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 13th 2012, 10:22 am

Articles like that make it that much more enjoyable for us when we go out there and bust those Chebby's ass's Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield February 13th 2012, 10:29 am

quick 52 wrote:being in a few drag week & power tours big block fords r very few not saying there not fast or a cool motor just the masses see chevy in every thing built out there.. sbc & bbc are very popular what i dont under stand is the sbf should of placed up with them

Its all politics! OR just B.S.! Twisted Evil
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 13th 2012, 11:46 am

Hey everyone ... for them it is ALL about selling magazines.
It's not about the truth, it's about what is perceived to be true by the magazine buying public. Face it ... there are simply more Chevrolets and that number is what drives the magazine sales.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on February 13th 2012, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield February 13th 2012, 12:25 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Hey everyone ... for them it is ALL about selling magazines.
It's not about the truth, it's about what is perceived to be true buy the magazine buying public. Face it ... there are simply more Chevrolets and that number is what drives magazine sales.

I agree !
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD February 14th 2012, 8:38 am

rmcomprandy wrote:Hey everyone ... for them it is ALL about selling magazines.
It's not about the truth, it's about what is perceived to be true by the magazine buying public. Face it ... there are simply more Chevrolets and that number is what drives the magazine sales.

That's it in a nutshell Exclamation

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  John I. February 15th 2012, 5:33 am

Anybody have a link to the story? Looked through a Hot Rod yesterday at Walmart, I pretty much refuse to buy them...didn't see anything...what other engines beat the POS BBF...Olds, Buick, Rambler...???

John I.
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf February 15th 2012, 7:18 am

I'm not sure what the big deal is. If you read the article and the first 3 sentences are:

Don't Blame Us!
The readers voted.
Here are the resul
ts.

If it was voted by readers on their forum or something then who would expect any different outcome. Did you vote? I didn't know about it or vote but I can see how it would be biased. The title should be "Most Popular Engines of all time".
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger February 15th 2012, 10:06 am

It was a readers thing. They had links to the poll all over FB and on many forums.

It was pretty lame in my opinion, because most people do not have experience across all the different brands. So you had people rating engines they have never put a wrench to much less ever seen in person.

I got halfway through it and quit because it was stupid.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 February 15th 2012, 10:23 am

jasonf wrote:I'm not sure what the big deal is. If you read the article and the first 3 sentences are:

Don't Blame Us!
The readers voted.
Here are the resul
ts.

If it was voted by readers on their forum or something then who would expect any different outcome. Did you vote? I didn't know about it or vote but I can see how it would be biased. The title should be "Most Popular Engines of all time".
all of the big 3 engine r capable of making good hp and they all have won follower i like going fast if its fast i like it just call me Mikey

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  mtacqua February 15th 2012, 2:07 pm

While I agree on the list the 385 series probably has the highest Performance potential
(or pretty close to the top). Based on the last 10-15 years and the 5.0 mustang, I'd think the SBF should have easliy out done the BBC in terms of Historic Significance (it is the motor of perhaps the most know American car the Mustang), Looks cool (maybe biased, but I think it looks cooler, call this one a wash), Affordability to build today (yep, price to build a SBF thanks to the mustang 5.0 era has brought it in line with the SBC), and Easy to work on (it's a push rod motor, dissy up front, I'd say no harder than a BBC, if not easier). I don't think performance potential can be compared apples to apples for big and small block. If you take what a production SBF makes and what you can make out a max effort engine, I'd say the gains on a percentage scale is similar between the SBF and BBC. So, bottom line, is the whole things is Chevy biased.

mtacqua
mtacqua

Back to top Go down

Post  Darrin Gorham February 15th 2012, 3:15 pm

I like being the (underdog)!

Darrin Gorham

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 February 16th 2012, 3:43 pm

Darrin Gorham wrote:I like being the (underdog)!
just get a cape and show up with your bad bbf

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down