BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

429 Ignition Questions???

+2
longroofracer
Bubba
6 posters

Go down

429 Ignition Questions??? Empty 429 Ignition Questions???

Post  Bubba September 22nd 2009, 5:54 am

It’s been a number of years since I built a ford, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am in the process of putting a mildly built 429 in a 79 Mustang, I have ordered the install kit from D&D, so that’s all set, and now I’m looking at ignition. Being that I’m on a budget of “spend as little as I have to” I’m trying to figure out what my best bang for the buck is.
I have an old dual point Mallory Distributor lying around, I was thinking of buying the conversion kit to turn Mallory in to electronic distributor, and running that.

I only know one person that has done this conversion (converting the dual point dist to electronic), and they were happy with it, has anyone else done it?

If I do run the Mallory do I still need the silver Ignition box that is mounted on the fender, or do I bypass it?

Which brings me to the next question, what the heck does that silver electronic box on the fender do? Is the silver box something I can bypass, should I bypass it, can it be replaced with a 6AL?

I figured my next option would be to pull a distributor, coil and silver box from a junk yard. After making some phone calls, I found that even with the discount I get at most of the yards in my area, the parts were only a couple bucks more at Pep Boys. I can buy a Rebuilt Distributor, Rebuilt coil, and the new silver box for less than 140.00. Is the Stock ford Electric Ignition good enough for a mild 429?

My third option would be to just run the Mallory Dual point distributor, but I’m not sure this will give me sufficient spark in the future, as I will eventually be putting Aluminum heads and Nitrous on the future?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Bubba

Back to top Go down

429 Ignition Questions??? Empty Re: 429 Ignition Questions???

Post  longroofracer September 22nd 2009, 10:51 am

For a budget build, that Duraspark is hard to beat. If you haven't removed all the harness already, the stuff you have will do the job, all you will need is the distributor.

You can upgrade to something else later, like the 6AL.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul-uk September 22nd 2009, 11:46 am

X2 on the Duraspark. Just put a recurve spring set in and run it.

Paul-uk

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens September 22nd 2009, 11:47 am

Rebuilt COIL???

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  501ranger September 22nd 2009, 12:25 pm

The durasprk distributor is fine if it is recurved, but I would remove the "silver box on the fender" in favor of a Msd box. I think if you convert the points distributor to electronic, you also have to install a aftermarket ignition box like the Msd box. From my experience, the stock silver box can misfire above 5000rpm and limit high rpms. And the Multiple Spark Discharge of a MSD box gives better throttle response at low rpm and starts easier.
501ranger
501ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubba September 23rd 2009, 6:37 am

Thanks for the help guys! I did go to Pep boys and pick up a Re-manufactured Dist, Ignition Box, and Coil, total cost 84.83. I will be ordering the re curve kit this weekend. I'm thinking with the minimum amount I spent on the ignition parts they will be good enough to get up and running on.

After buying all the new stuff I started thinking, I wounder what spark plugs I'll need to run? What length, what heat range? What type of plugs are people running with a mildly built 429 and electronic ignition? What would I gap them at?

Thanks guys

Bubba

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 23rd 2009, 8:05 am

i have been 9.80 with all stock ford Ing. it,s work fine
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens September 23rd 2009, 11:29 am

Please let us know how that recurve kit works. I've yet to see one that sufficiently limits the centrifugal advance.

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul-uk September 23rd 2009, 1:02 pm

I limited the advance in mine using stock parts. Just added a set of cheapo springs from Mr Gasket. 12 initial 36 all in at 2500.

Paul-uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down