BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok...serious question

+8
RJP
chuck stevens
Northwest outlaw
PROSTREET66
uf63
Homespun91
Diggindeeper
4thHorseman
12 posters

Go down

Ok...serious question Empty Ok...serious question

Post  4thHorseman September 22nd 2009, 8:48 pm

I know the score with the...dare I say it.... Embarassed Pro Comp BBF heads. So I have this younger pal I mentioned in another post. He just purchased a complete, dyno'ed motor: 572ci BBC with a Blower Shop 871 stuffing it and a pair of 950's on top for his '71 Nova. Forged/best of everything and supposedly capable of 18psi and 500hp NOS if desired. Dyno sheet said 1100hp @ 12psi. Aluminum heads were unmarked so he didn't know what they were but had a flow sheet claiming 390cfm. He had a bunch of questions for the shop and called recently. On my prodding, he asked what the heads were. He was told cnc'ed Pro Comps. I about died. No Now before the flaming starts, I have to say I've seen the car run against other quick rides just messing around on the street (the car isn't 100% legal for tech yet). It pulls hard, but not like the scalded ape I was expecting to see. It took some work to pull on past a mid 11 sec Mopar finally in the top although the Nova was traction limited.

So my post is that I'm looking for comments on the capabilities of Pro Comp's BBC's heads if anyone knows. I guess I don't understand why a supposedly reputable engine shop might put these on their mill and pass it off as a full tilt, race offering. ??? Maybe my young pal got duped into getting a mill more for car shows and bragging never intended to attempt to set the strip on fire with it as he is hoping.

?????
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Ok...serious question Empty Re: Ok...serious question

Post  Diggindeeper September 22nd 2009, 11:12 pm

I would say buyer beware. A more aware buyer should really do some investigating as to what they're buying rather than looking at the screw on top. IMHO.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Homespun91 September 22nd 2009, 11:45 pm

Their rep in the BBC world is much the same as it is for the BBF...maybe a bit more positive. The flow numbers published on the Net are generally exaggerated by the dealers...again, same thing. No one who is serious uses them as there are lots of choices available for the BBC....
Homespun91
Homespun91

Back to top Go down

Post  uf63 September 23rd 2009, 1:23 am

Why? You can buy good Chevy shit cheap, why the JUNK?
uf63
uf63

Back to top Go down

Post  PROSTREET66 September 23rd 2009, 9:07 am

Is there such a thing as good chebie chit........I thought it was all fuc--n junk.BBF is tha MAC-DADDY puttin dat smack down on dat chebbie azz!!!!!!!!
PROSTREET66
PROSTREET66

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman September 23rd 2009, 9:50 am

That's the plan. My C6 is getting overhauled and I am waiting for the UPS man to show up with a brand new, bouncing baby UCC converter. Twisted Evil Even before the converter swap I'm confident my junk would've outran his just on the motor. Couple of weeks and we'll see for sure. There's a lot of crap talking. I keep my mouth shut and just grin.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw September 23rd 2009, 11:14 am

Well im mite get flamed on for this but they are not my first pick but the have made some power not the best but for the price not bad. Befor we all start to get all worked up on this im talling about all the heads BBF BBC SBC I have a friend/guy i know has a set on this twin turbo 383 SBC 190cc PC head small cam and it is turnning 820rwhp on the dyno and it a street car not bad for a set of 500.00 heads ready to run.

Dose that mean im going to run them ? if i got a set for 500.00 i mite.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens September 23rd 2009, 11:19 am

The gesture I've favored for a looong time: with one hand, brush lightly in a up and away motion from your lips. It's known as brushing the chicken feathers away. OR. the horizontal middle finger, signifying...."And the horse you rode in on".

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RJP September 23rd 2009, 1:47 pm

If that engine makes 18 lbs of boost it wouldn't matter much what heads are on it except peanut port heads. That thing should be scary fast with just 10 lbs of boost....something wrong with it and not just being a Chevy. Rolling Eyes

RJP

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell September 26th 2009, 10:34 am

Probably why it makes 18# boost. It can't get any air in the cylinder.

Bret

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Post  jsracing September 28th 2009, 12:32 am

Bret Powell wrote:Probably why it makes 18# boost. It can't get any air in the cylinder.

Bret

Bret is right, boost is not necessarily a good measure of avaialble air to burn in the cyclinder. 20 lbs on an engine with a restrictive intake might not be as much air as 12 lbs on a well designed intake port.

the more restrictive the port, the harder you have to work the supercharger to get the same HP.

jsracing

http://indyracingscene.com/?styleid=2

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH September 28th 2009, 10:11 am

1100 hp and had a hard time getting around a mid 11's Mopar. if there wasn't two black lines for 1320 ft, hp came from a P/C dyno

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman September 28th 2009, 3:16 pm

They sent him the motor with a dyno sheet of 1100hp @ 12psi. He's got the pulley's reversed now (that's how it was crated to him) and its is supposed to be 8psi and 800ish hp. And yes, with that config he had trouble with a mid 11 sec Mopar. ??? Suspect

There are a number of street racers here that have their rides dialed in to run a 10 flat or 11.5 class at our altitude in what is locally known as the "No Bull" races at Albuquerque NDW. Its an arm drop event at the strip every few months for balz fast true street cars. The next one is this weekend. I'm still waiting on my UCC converter but the BBC nova is looking to go. I think a dose of reality will do him good. He was looking to run a 9.75@138 sbc blown '66 Nova Saturday night on the street who is a regular at the No Bull's. The older guy wisely wouldn't do it. He had slicks and would've just destroyed the BBC car. Not worth his time vs. an unproven car. Maybe he recognized the heads as well.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman September 28th 2009, 3:22 pm

Northwest outlaw wrote:Well im mite get flamed on for this but they are not my first pick but the have made some power not the best but for the price not bad. Befor we all start to get all worked up on this im talling about all the heads BBF BBC SBC I have a friend/guy i know has a set on this twin turbo 383 SBC 190cc PC head small cam and it is turnning 820rwhp on the dyno and it a street car not bad for a set of 500.00 heads ready to run.

Dose that mean im going to run them ? if i got a set for 500.00 i mite.

Maybe that's why this shop uses them on their forced induction mills. Even with a less than great port they will make decent power when you stuff them for the $$$. But I bet a pair of big AFR's would make that thing into an angry animal.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 28th 2009, 6:55 pm

One of the Chevy guys here that has a machine shop, uses them on their NOS engines and "says" they're pretty good stuff... He says when he's done porting them (no flow bench) that they'll flow right up there with alot of the other BBC heads... I guess you're right though, if you force enough air into the port, they'll make good enough power to satisfy most of the unknowing... Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down