BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel Tech Question / 92-96 F250 alcoa factory wheels

4 posters

Go down

Wheel Tech Question / 92-96 F250 alcoa factory wheels Empty Wheel Tech Question / 92-96 F250 alcoa factory wheels

Post  TravisRice September 23rd 2009, 6:21 pm

Wheel tech question. I purchased a used set of these wheels for on my 67 F-250, they made the truck look killer. The center caps were really crappy and were also for a 4wd with the open center. I decided I liked the look of the long rear caps an all 4 corners so I ordered a set of knock offs off of e-bay. I was told when I purchased them that they snapped over the lug nuts as a new stlye retention system instead of the 4 large plastic clips that were prone to braking. Well the caps snap over the lug nuts but they kind of push on and pull off just a little to easy. Question is the 92-96 a standard 1/2 lug nut?? Second is what is the socket size for a factory style lug nut for these wheels?? I have drawn the conclusion that they may have been a metric size a little larger than the 13/16 that I currently have , or they are a 7/8" which would make the center more of a friction fit.

If I wrap the lug nuts with 2 wraps of electrical tape the caps fit perfectly and I would feel comfortable that I would not loose them. Hence the larger diameter hex on the lug nut for the factory set up.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Wheel Tech Question / 92-96 F250 alcoa factory wheels Empty Re: Wheel Tech Question / 92-96 F250 alcoa factory wheels

Post  7litrestang September 23rd 2009, 7:49 pm

the lug nuts have the same thread as the old(1/2-20) but the lug nuts you need have a shoulder on them to "catch" the clips on the center cap... lots of explorers and rangers use the same thread and type you need, just find one in the junkyard and swap them out, or go to the dealer and get new one's... i haven't seen them at the parts stores yet.... also, just a word of advice if you happen to find a 97-up f-150, don't get those lug nuts, they won't work, they are metric...

7litrestang

Back to top Go down

Wheel Tech Question / 92-96 F250 alcoa factory wheels Empty Re: Wheel Tech Question / 92-96 F250 alcoa factory wheels

Post  longroofracer September 23rd 2009, 9:19 pm

7litrestang wrote:the lug nuts have the same thread as the old(1/2-20) but the lug nuts you need have a shoulder on them to "catch" the clips on the center cap... lots of explorers and rangers use the same thread and type you need, just find one in the junkyard and swap them out, or go to the dealer and get new one's... i haven't seen them at the parts stores yet.... also, just a word of advice if you happen to find a 97-up f-150, don't get those lug nuts, they won't work, they are metric...

If they are the same as an Explorer... just go to a Ford dealer or hit Lem up for some. They were cheaper at the dealer than when I went looking for aftermarket ones (which were all wrong) for the 16" Explorer wheels I put on my wagon. Take the cap in with you and they can set you up with the right ones. With the right ones... it would be difficult to lose a cap that is installed correct.

I never have luck finding them at wrecking yards, around here any decent wheels are already pulled and lug nuts are long gone.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer September 23rd 2009, 9:22 pm

TravisRice wrote:Wheel tech question. I purchased a used set of these wheels for on my 67 F-250, they made the truck look killer. The center caps were really crappy and were also for a 4wd with the open center. I decided I liked the look of the long rear caps an all 4 corners so I ordered a set of knock offs off of e-bay. I was told when I purchased them that they snapped over the lug nuts as a new stlye retention system instead of the 4 large plastic clips that were prone to braking. Well the caps snap over the lug nuts but they kind of push on and pull off just a little to easy. Question is the 92-96 a standard 1/2 lug nut?? Second is what is the socket size for a factory style lug nut for these wheels?? I have drawn the conclusion that they may have been a metric size a little larger than the 13/16 that I currently have , or they are a 7/8" which would make the center more of a friction fit.

If I wrap the lug nuts with 2 wraps of electrical tape the caps fit perfectly and I would feel comfortable that I would not loose them. Hence the larger diameter hex on the lug nut for the factory set up.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks Travis

The threads for the early ones are standard, not metric, but the socket size may be a metric size.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper September 23rd 2009, 10:46 pm

ok i have the 91 factory alum on my truck in the avatar. They take a 7/8 socket IIRC i will check tomorrow in the light. I have the full lugnuts on mine which i prefer but they are no good to use on a steel spare rim.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 24th 2009, 5:11 am

Thanks guys, Thats the info I was looking for. Diggindeeper, let me know what you find out.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper September 24th 2009, 7:50 am

ok they definitly take a 7/8.

IIRC the stud is 9/16, unc thread.

Last edited by Diggindeeper on September 24th 2009, 7:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : theres an H in thread)
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  7litrestang September 24th 2009, 6:39 pm

7litrestang wrote:the lug nuts have the same thread as the old(1/2-20) but the lug nuts you need have a shoulder on them to "catch" the clips on the center cap... lots of explorers and rangers use the same thread and type you need, just find one in the junkyard and swap them out, or go to the dealer and get new one's... i haven't seen them at the parts stores yet.... also, just a word of advice if you happen to find a 97-up f-150, don't get those lug nuts, they won't work, they are metric...
doh!!!!
didn't pay close enough attention, as you listed "f250", my mistake, as they are 8 lug, and i do believe they take a bigger lug nut than an f150, sorry about the confusion....

7litrestang

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 24th 2009, 10:18 pm

Diggindeeper wrote:ok they definitly take a 7/8.

IIRC the stud is 9/16, unc thread.

Thanks Deeper,
I called Shawn at BF Evans this afternoon. They are a 9/16 UNF thread, 7/8" socket . My F-250 , which is a 67 is a 1/2 UNF and 13/16" socket. I needed to put longer wheel studs in anyways, so it looks like I will be upgrading to the 9/16" , the correct lug nuts and all will be well.

Thanks again,
Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down