BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost that bet, lol

+8
cool40
Tommyj466
Wheelie58
richter69
Barney
rmcomprandy
bbf-falcon
David Cole
12 posters

Go down

Lost that bet, lol Empty Lost that bet, lol

Post  David Cole April 22nd 2012, 3:17 pm

Went to the track last night. Car ran well, driver was rusty. lol. Beat 2nd round of a $5K. .007 loser

Worst thing was the gamble I took going to the track. I knew it was time to replace my trailer tires. They were past due. I was betting they would make one more trip since my local track is only 15 miles. I hadn't had time to replace them and took a gamble they would make it. Wrong. Just got up to speed on the Interstate when one let go. Blowout. Tore the dang fender off. (well it was held on with one screw and dragging). Changed to the spare. Took it very easy the rest of the way there and back. Max 50 mph instead of 70.

Now I get to buy new tires, find a fender to match (2003 Vintage 28') and scrub the rubber off the side. It's got one small tear in the trailer skin. I may be able to mount the fender a little higher to cover it or might by some stick on molding

Here is the fender I need with measurements and the damage.

Lost that bet, lol Goodfender2

the damage:
Lost that bet, lol Badfender
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Lost that bet, lol Empty Re: Lost that bet, lol

Post  bbf-falcon April 22nd 2012, 3:24 pm

That looks Nasty David Shocked You can get a steel one and cut the width down at TSC. be alot tougher to boot. I need one for mine also,it's for Tri axle and it's fiberglass.

Try this link
http://www.nationwidetrailershop.com/nationwidetrailershop/trailer-aluminum-fender-1-5-x-20-x-72-ff8081812bae801b012bd25c73b41460-p.html

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 22nd 2012, 5:19 pm

It is good that the spare was decent.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 22nd 2012, 5:25 pm

Have you tried the trailer mfg, or dealers? Lots of times they can get you repair parts. Sorry for the bad luck.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 22nd 2012, 5:47 pm

You try the new plate out????? Very Happy

sorry bout the damage, I just put a new set of Maxxis 10 plys on for this very reason. I have a good spare but I wanna round up another rim and have another one set up..............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole April 22nd 2012, 6:09 pm

richter69 wrote:You try the new plate out????? Very Happy

sorry bout the damage, I just put a new set of Maxxis 10 plys on for this very reason. I have a good spare but I wanna round up another rim and have another one set up..............
No on the plate lol
Was working on my 5.30 setup
Last 2 passes 5.302 and 5.307
I'll get the plate on soon.

The tire that blew was a 10 ply Denman
It will get some more 10 ply. These were almost 5 yrs old
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 April 22nd 2012, 6:30 pm

David,
A company called Kampco makes the aluminum fenders for most OEs and they have a facility here in Georgia.
Call their Elkhart IN office for info. 574.294.5466
They will sell you the fenders for about 1/2 dealer price and can ship them from Georgia to save $$.
They make crossmembers, roof parts, side posts and cool stuff for the small " drill screw" trailer industry.
Keith

Last edited by Wheelie58 on April 22nd 2012, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mo info)
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 22nd 2012, 7:01 pm

The tire that blew was a 10 ply Denman
It will get some more 10 ply. These were almost 5 yrs old[/quote]

Denman tires are good and is what I have on mine but,I heard they are out of business now. Don't buy a GoodYear Evil or Very Mad

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyj466 April 22nd 2012, 8:47 pm

There's a guy on Yellowbullet that bought out Pace's inventory of trailers and parts. Fenders are likely same or real close. I forget his name but he has it posted in the trailer section.

TJ
Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 22nd 2012, 9:35 pm

sorry about your luck David. you can get some grease and wax remover from your local auto body shop,it'll wipe the black junk off and wont hurt the paint. Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug April 23rd 2012, 6:36 am

David get you some what ever size you wish but make sure they are ST tires they are built for trailer hauling most people just use regular ole tires and they aren't designed for the sidewall stress that a trailer give them...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 23rd 2012, 8:34 am

replace the valve stems also
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 April 23rd 2012, 8:57 am

richter69 wrote:replace the valve stems also
with metal ones....or at minimum 600HP type with the brass insert. (Haltec part # TV 600 HP for .453 hole and 1-1/4")
Several of my racing buddies have lost tires and when I look at their setup, I discovered normal rubber valve stems. Good quality rubber stems are rated for 65 PSI cold. Lesser ones are...less...
Do not use stems of unknown origin. Dill, Schrader, Myers EHA, or Haltec are the best.
The HP series (brass insert - snap in) are rated at 80 PSI cold in the .453 hole diameter.
If the tire fails, and the valve is gone....the valve was the root cause.

If anyone needs any tire valve help, one of my KFM consulting customers is Haltec, one of the world leaders in inflation hardware. I can get good info there.

Keith

Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno April 23rd 2012, 10:21 am

Wheelie58 wrote:
richter69 wrote:replace the valve stems also
with metal ones....or at minimum 600HP type with the brass insert. (Haltec part # TV 600 HP for .453 hole and 1-1/4")
Several of my racing buddies have lost tires and when I look at their setup, I discovered normal rubber valve stems. Good quality rubber stems are rated for 65 PSI cold. Lesser ones are...less...
Do not use stems of unknown origin. Dill, Schrader, Myers EHA, or Haltec are the best.
The HP series (brass insert - snap in) are rated at 80 PSI cold in the .453 hole diameter.
If the tire fails, and the valve is gone....the valve was the root cause.

If anyone needs any tire valve help, one of my KFM consulting customers is Haltec, one of the world leaders in inflation hardware. I can get good info there.

Keith

good info Keith

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 23rd 2012, 10:37 am

A good friend of mine won't put anything but Michelin's on his 48ft tri-axle gooseneck.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on April 23rd 2012, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole April 23rd 2012, 4:46 pm

Got a fender on the way. Was not as bad as I thought. Ordered it straight from the trailer mfg. (Kampco was out of stock on that size)
Vintage had it in stock. Only $44 +10 to build a crate +ups. Now just hope I can get most of the tire marks off.

The tires it had were Denman 15" ST 10 plys. Too bad they went out of biz. They were good tires. Friend of mine has a tire store and stocks a 10 ply ST that he says is a good tire. PowerKing Towmax.

I will make sure it gets metal valve stems.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird April 23rd 2012, 6:17 pm

David ,I know how you feel. I blew one about 45 miles out of Norwalk ,Oh. on the way home 2 years ago on a Sunday afternoon late. I had a spare,but it was dry rotted and 2 sizes smaller. I knew I needed 2 tires on that side ,BUT as you sais "Ilost the bet". I ran about 60mph for the next 10 hours stopping at every rest stop and a few places in between and let the tires cool down all the way home. One of Mike Barker's buddy's went by and honked as soon as me and Harold pulled back on the interstate...about 30 minutes down the road he was pulled over with both passenger side tires blew on his trailer. He was really lucky ,as Rick Brown just happened to bring 2 tires that were off the rims with him just in case??? Well ,we all stopped and helped him,we broke them both down and changed them on the road side. I think we are all life long friends now cheers Laughing you can never have to many friends in this world!!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole April 24th 2012, 6:49 pm

It cleaned up rather well. Very happy with it. For the tire marks I tried mineral spirits, Goo-Gone, Wax and Grease remover. All without much luck. Then used LA Awesome cleaner from the dollar store. It did a great job. 15 mins with a rag, the cleaner and hose. Compare to the pic above.

Lost that bet, lol Cleantrailer
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 24th 2012, 7:24 pm

David my connection at Look got layed off today called him back this afternoon and he said they layed him off today. I have loss respect for Look trailer they hired Pace employes and are now laying them off after they have got the Pace line up and running.This is the 2nd person I use to work with at Pace that was in the management they have let go makes me even more glad I didn't go to work for them.I will try to find out who is going to replace him and see if they can get me a price on one.If you get one let me.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down