BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust valve to piston interference.......

+7
c.evans
bbf-falcon
56Tbird
Lem Evans
cool40
ustahava67
Race Ready Fabrications
11 posters

Go down

Exhaust valve to piston interference....... Empty Exhaust valve to piston interference.......

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 23rd 2012, 8:38 pm

I'm trying to finish things up with this new motor and figured I'd better check valve clearance good. I'm having issues with the exhaust valve just barely tagging the piston. So little in fact I didn't notice it at first. Had to pull the head back off and confim it with the small mark on the piston. I've advanced the cam as far as I can and still hit. I'm trying to get at least .090 clearance on the exhaust side. My questions are:
What is the minimum exhaust valve to piston clearance?
Will a thicker head gasket resolve my issue?
There's no exhaust valve relief, Do I need to have the pistons fly cut?

This cam is .798 lift on the exhaust side and 284 @.050. I'm headed out now to check what the least amount of clearance I have is. Thanks!!! Brian
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Exhaust valve to piston interference....... Empty Re: Exhaust valve to piston interference.......

Post  ustahava67 April 23rd 2012, 9:05 pm

I set up for .080 -.090 vertical clearance with .025 - .030 radial clearance. I have run as close as .035 vertical ( customer didn't want to spend any more and took the risk) but... if the valves float bad things happen fast
ustahava67
ustahava67

Back to top Go down

Exhaust valve to piston interference....... Empty Re: Exhaust valve to piston interference.......

Post  cool40 April 23rd 2012, 9:10 pm

are you checking with checker springs or "the"springs your gona run? did you figure valve lash in? Arrow
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 23rd 2012, 9:13 pm

Cyl. head is?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 23rd 2012, 9:13 pm

Just checked mine to see what the minimum is, .060 is where I'm at. This is with a .041 compressed head gasket. So a .060 gasket would give me .079???
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 23rd 2012, 9:14 pm

cool40 wrote:are you checking with checker springs or "the"springs your gona run? did you figure valve lash in? Arrow

I'm using the springs I'm gonna use and not figuring it accounting for lash.
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 23rd 2012, 9:15 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Cyl. head is?

TFS streets that Charlie did with the raised intake runners
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 23rd 2012, 9:18 pm

An exh. valve relief is needed i.m.o.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird April 23rd 2012, 9:26 pm

I had that same problem with my .060 460 in my Mustang..I took die grinder and cut a relief in the pistons while still in the engine...I don't recommend it ,and it ain't the prettiest thing I've ever seen,but it's been together since 2004 without being apart. I think if I ever pull it apart I'll have JetBoat Bob to cut the reliefs the same ...if I pull it before it comes apart??
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 23rd 2012, 9:30 pm

Lem Evans wrote:An exh. valve relief is needed i.m.o.

X2. Don't take THAT chance. Sad

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 23rd 2012, 9:53 pm

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:
cool40 wrote:are you checking with checker springs or "the"springs your gona run? did you figure valve lash in? Arrow

I'm using the springs I'm gonna use and not figuring it accounting for lash.
so your not counting lash? if not then you have more room than you think. how are you checking it? most of the time i check ex 10*btdc,int 10*after tdc.set the rockers up with lash,as youd run it,set an indicator on the retainer and turn it to 10*btdc. now run your lock down with a short wrench,dont use your good arm Smile thats how i do it anyway.works for me.lol
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 23rd 2012, 9:58 pm

Please do not find a reason to do the wrong thing........put an exh. relief in the piston. Wink

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans April 23rd 2012, 10:23 pm

Brian,

PLEASE,,,X 10 on what Lem said. Aren't those pistons Sealed Power/TRW with a stock diameter pin? Those pistons need an exhaust valve relief with that much lift and duration. If not, you'll be bending exhaust valves and tearing the engine down again really soon. Get the pistons out of it and do the job the right way. That's why you mocked up and checked clearance anyway. If you go with a thicker head gasket, you'll be losing compression.

Pull an exhaust valve out of the head and then put the head back on without the valve. Use a center finding punch through the guide to punch mark the piston when it's at TDC,, or you can take an old junk valve, cut the head off of it and sharpen it to a point on a lathe. Then drop the old valve through the guide and punch the piston. Any good machine shop with a piston vise ought to be able to take it from there and flycut your valve reliefs.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 23rd 2012, 10:36 pm

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:I'm trying to finish things up with this new motor and figured I'd better check valve clearance good. I'm having issues with the exhaust valve just barely tagging the piston. So little in fact I didn't notice it at first. Had to pull the head back off and confim it with the small mark on the piston. I've advanced the cam as far as I can and still hit. I'm trying to get at least .090 clearance on the exhaust side. My questions are:
What is the minimum exhaust valve to piston clearance?
Will a thicker head gasket resolve my issue?
There's no exhaust valve relief, Do I need to have the pistons fly cut?

This cam is .798 lift on the exhaust side and 284 @.050. I'm headed out now to check what the least amount of clearance I have is. Thanks!!! Brian

Other than notching the pistons ... Your best option is advancing the cam till you have .050" intake piston to valve clearance and getting exhaust rocker arms of less ratio than what you have.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 24th 2012, 11:48 am

bbf-falcon wrote:

c.evans wrote:Brian,

PLEASE,,,X 10 on what Lem said. Aren't those pistons Sealed Power/TRW with a stock diameter pin? Those pistons need an exhaust valve relief with that much lift and duration. If not, you'll be bending exhaust valves and tearing the engine down again really soon. Get the pistons out of it and do the job the right way. That's why you mocked up and checked clearance anyway. If you go with a thicker head gasket, you'll be losing compression.

Pull an exhaust valve out of the head and then put the head back on without the valve. Use a center finding punch through the guide to punch mark the piston when it's at TDC,, or you can take an old junk valve, cut the head off of it and sharpen it to a point on a lathe. Then drop the old valve through the guide and punch the piston. Any good machine shop with a piston vise ought to be able to take it from there and flycut your valve reliefs.

Charlie

I appreciate the concern and the advice from everybody. These are probe pistons, I'll get one marked tonight and get them over to Mat Wright and let him fly cut them for me. Just another set back that's all Evil or Very Mad
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxx Levell April 24th 2012, 1:15 pm

Here is a piston cutter if anyone ever has a need ... go to http://www.lindytools.com/ click on the tools drop down...and you will see the in head piston notcher...
Maxx Levell
Maxx Levell

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 April 24th 2012, 1:50 pm

I'ved used that tool and the tool from Isky imo the Isky is much better .

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 25th 2012, 12:40 am

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:

bbf-falcon wrote:

c.evans wrote:Brian,

Charlie

I appreciate the concern and the advice from everybody. These are probe pistons, I'll get one marked tonight and get them over to Mat Wright and let him fly cut them for me. Just another set back that's all Evil or Very Mad

Its not a set back.... It Race Engine Building..... Its required to put one together properly.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down