BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HARDENED exhaust valve seats

5 posters

Go down

HARDENED exhaust valve seats Empty HARDENED exhaust valve seats

Post  HOOK March 12th 2010, 1:17 pm

HARDENED exhaust valve seats are they really needed or just hype.(351c 4v closed chamber).- unleaded pump gas .
also what is a good /normal price for them installed? one shop told me $40 per seat Shocked
i`m just trying to see where i stand. thanx

HOOK

Back to top Go down

HARDENED exhaust valve seats Empty Re: HARDENED exhaust valve seats

Post  whatbumper March 12th 2010, 1:43 pm

need for unleaded pump gas.

$40 per is too much. the last clevland heads I had done was a total recondition with the valve seats, valves, springs, all the hardware, and machining(not race oriented) for about $500. This was for a restore.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 12th 2010, 1:48 pm

HOOK wrote:HARDENED exhaust valve seats are they really needed or just hype.(351c 4v closed chamber).- unleaded pump gas .
also what is a good /normal price for them installed? one shop told me $40 per seat Shocked
i`m just trying to see where i stand. thanx

I know the economy is not ideal but 40 per seat Shocked Shocked Shocked
I would really be running the otherway.
I did cheat the system though, went down to autozone and traded in open chamber 2v's for remanufactured closed chamber 4v's 375 total Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

HARDENED exhaust valve seats Empty hardened seats/unleaded gas

Post  blown473 March 12th 2010, 8:59 pm

If you run without the hardened seats you will damage the heads, or even destroy them. Leaded race gas is the only alternative, unless you want to try the "lead substitute" in a can at every tank full, and I have not heard of anybody doing that with success. You are way better off putting in the hardened seats, and it should cost around $500. to have you heads completely redone. Thats the going price out here in CA. Very Happy
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  HOOK March 13th 2010, 4:10 am

time 4 me to pm some of our site sponsors.... scratch

HOOK

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter March 13th 2010, 6:43 pm

$40.00 per seat installed is excessive. $30.00 is more typical.

We have been selling ported iron heads for limited street use for 7 years and have yet to have a set come back with sunkin exhaust seats... The iron in ford heads is much better than the stuff gm utilised in the 70's. That being said if i am preparing a pair of heads for a truck or motorhome application they will get hard seats with a .080" wide 45* angle because of high exhaust temps and exclusive street miles. The average street strip guy that sees limited street miles does not need hard seats in most cases. High spring pressures / high RPM with solid roller cams might be an exception.

The only ford heads i see with sunkin seats are the truck D3's that do heavy duty towing and even that is somewhat rare as the seats are induction hardened excepting the early and mid 70's modles which still used regular leaded fuel.

One thing that the machinists need to know about hardened seats in the bbf and cleveland heads is that the typical recommended seat has a 1.5" ID which is a bit big for proper flow and port geometry. I prefer to use the 1 7/16 id seats then size the throat id to match the valve size used...

Cool
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down