BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam Question..

4 posters

Go down

Cam Question.. Empty Cam Question..

Post  RapidRuss September 25th 2009, 9:24 am

I know some of you street/srip guys run the comp cams XR 292R roller in your motors...I was just wondering how much steam 530+ inch's would take out of this cam being it was supposedly designed for a Pro/Street 460 inch motor Question

Is there another cam thats slightly larger but will still live with limited miles on the street Question and what kind of spring presures are we looking at here Question affraid
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Cam Question.. Empty Re: Cam Question..

Post  rmcomprandy September 25th 2009, 10:19 am

Simply get a "Custom" ground camshaft for your specific application.
Unless you are for some reason "strapped for time", there is no reason not to spend the extra $20.00 to get exactly what you need.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 25th 2009, 10:29 am

Well thats very ture !! Seems you did a good job on spec'ing some others...Jeff seems to be real happy with his..and I guess will have you do another one for his new heads...
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 28th 2009, 7:16 pm

X2 on what Randy said... It's a few extra $$$'s and you get exactly what you want that'll work best in your combo...

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce October 1st 2009, 8:01 am

Hey, Russ: For what it's worth, I ran the Comp Cams XR292R mechanical roller in my 460 crate motor. It was very well behaved on the street, idled very smoothly at 750 RPM, but revved easily well past 7,800 RPM. But it would have been even more "sedate" in my current 545 stroker motor, so I went to Cammotion for a custom grind. It was pretty cool the way they handled it, for a fee ($25.00 I believe) they will ask you EVERYTHING about your build - bore and stroke, comp ratio, what heads, port work, carburetion,flow rates, transmission, gear ratio, tire size, car weight, etc. etc. etc. They made up a 718 / 718 lift roller for me, haven't had to the track yet, but up and down the street it feels VERY strong.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss October 4th 2009, 6:06 am

Thanks for the info there Wayne...wow 7800rpm on your 460...thats spinnin it...whats your 545 build like ? and what do you have it in... I take it now with the longer stroke you dont spin it as high...But ya got a but load of Tq..

Being how its been 25 years since I did any port work on some BB heads..and to do them right without a flow bench is very touchy...and Les Schmaders prices went up since the last time I used him up in PA for my C4AE-G heads for my 395" FE build... I think I'am going to have to bite the bullit and save somemore pennys and go with the P-51's just cleaned up out of the box...and at a later date have Uncle Charlie work them..

I would go with the TF A460's....for a bunch of future growth..But then having to deal with the Chev exhaust ports and custom headers is another headache I want to avoid..But I'am sure the P-51's will give me all I need for a Street Cruiser for Cruise ins every other Sat..and for some fun times at the track without being too embarrased...LOL.. Embarassed
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce October 4th 2009, 8:39 am

Hi, Russ:
Yeah, I used to spin the 460 "pretty" tight! It was very "sobering" when I thought about that big, fat, heavy iron Ford truck flywheel spinning that fast right next to my feet - Lakewood housing or not! I decided that I would NOT cheap out on my 545 build! My 545 started out as a two bolt D0VE-A block, Bedell Racing Engines in Nassau, New York bored it to 4.390 and installed a Milodon splayed 4 bolt conversion kit. I got my Scat 4.500 stroker, 6.8 Scat H beam rods, and Diamond 13.3 to 1 forged pistons (yeah, I know - just a "bit" high for the street) from Brian Adams at AD Performance. As I mentioned before, I went to Cammotion for my newest roller - I don't have the spec sheet for it handy, but it has a lift of .718 intake and exhaust with a 1.73 ratio rocker arm. My finances are not limitless, so I had to stay with my A429 aluminum CJ heads (for now), I did some work on them as far as the port match, short turn radius, and the bowls - nothing fancy. I have a Victor intake with an 1150 Dominator that I bought from Brett Powell, it worked VERY well on my 460, but having not been to the track yet with the new motor - the jury's still out as to whether or not I need to uprgade to something larger. I backed up this motor with a Centerforce flywheel, and 12" clutch package, and an ST1200 Lenco 5 speed transmission. The rear end is a Moser nodular 9" with 4.11 gears, Detroit locker and 35 spline axles. I also upgraded my rear (street tires) from 31X18.5X15" Hoosier's (far better for traction than the MT's I used to run), to 33X22.5X15" Hoosier's. I haven't been to the track with it yet (still re-doing the body work, trying to get some paint on it at last), but just a "blast" or two up the street, and back - the car feels VERY strong - I LOVE that Lenco! I don't think that I will need to turn this motor any tighter than 6,500 / 7,000 RPM max. If there's anything I missed, let me know.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Last edited by Wayne Pearce on October 4th 2009, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down