BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

604 CID Suggestions

+12
Doug Rahn
c.evans
Lem Evans
DJOHAGIN
Bsherry
the Coug
windsor
res0rli9
IcallhimGeorge
Nevs
Wayne Pearce
Stangman98
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

604 CID Suggestions Empty 604 CID Suggestions

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 4:08 pm

Thoughts? Anyone here done one?
Thanks
Stangman98
Stangman98

http://www.racestangs.org

Back to top Go down

604 CID Suggestions Empty Re: 604 CID Suggestions

Post  Wayne Pearce September 26th 2009, 4:16 pm

Hey, Big D: What block are you planning to use for your 604 build? I don't think you can go that big on a factory production block. I think you will need to decide on an A460, or and IDT block for the basis of the build. Let us know what your aims, and goals are. There is a gold mine of knowledge on this board to guide you along once they know your "aspirations".

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 4:23 pm

My builder an I were talking about doing an IDT block. I want pump gas (so less then 12:1)
HP goals...well a lot would be good. There is a chance of tossing a small shot on it down the road too. This will most likely be on a drag radial and will be a street strip car
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 26th 2009, 5:58 pm

Budget? Which cylinder head are you planning to use? Budget? I know I repeated the budget question, but it is all about the money...What does your engine builder say? Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 6:22 pm

P51 heads
Diamond Pistons
Pro Systems Dominator
IDT Block
TH400 W/Brake Trans
That give you an idea?
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 26th 2009, 6:33 pm

Do you already have the parts or are you in the planning stage yet? I'm asking, because invariably, in the future you will want to go bigger head wise and will then be buying different pistons and heads and the hardware to go with them. That's why all the questions. If you have a clear cut goal, do it right the first time as it's far cheaper in the long run. Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to determine what you desire.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 6:40 pm

Just a street car with 800 rwhp
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge September 26th 2009, 6:45 pm

~900-1000hp motor on the street? Laughing got good health insurance?

You know cars like that steer with the brake pedal dont you?
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 6:47 pm

The more then better. I actually work for an insurance company.. Laughing
And it's going be a drag radial car
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge September 26th 2009, 6:50 pm

copy Kaases B9 589 build. 900+ hp on pump gas
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 26th 2009, 7:02 pm

Have you bought any parts yet? Do you have a car to put the engine in that is capable of supporting 800 rwhp?
You'll need the nitrous to reach the goal with the P51 heads, they are a great head, but you're not going to get there on motor alone. Going to need a chassis that will certify to run the numbers 800 rwhp will allow. How much experience do you have at that power level? It will be an eye opener for sure. I've been down the road you are traveling, just trying to help... Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 26th 2009, 7:14 pm

There's a guy from down under that built a 608 C head for the street, his name is Theo, he had a built up of it on the other 460 form do a screach, it was last year.
he had the motor built over here.

Keith

Last edited by res0rli9 on September 26th 2009, 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 7:16 pm

The car will be most like getting either a 10pt. cm cage or a 25.5 setup. I have been in drag racing for 13+ years. I can drive anything with tits or tires Twisted Evil
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 26th 2009, 7:19 pm

Stangman98 wrote:The car will be most like getting either a 10pt. cm cage or a 25.5 setup. I have been in drag racing for 13+ years. I can drive anything with tits or tires Twisted Evil

Forgive me for asking, I've only been doing it since 1969. I'm surprised you have questions Exclamation You clearly don't want to tell us if you've already bought any parts. I'll quit asking... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor September 26th 2009, 7:22 pm

those Rear Wheel power levels naturally aspirated you'll need to go at least A-460 heads, and doubtful on pump gas.

Flywheel it's very doable with P-51 heads.

How fast do you want to go and in how heavy of a car?
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 7:25 pm

Nevs wrote:
Stangman98 wrote:The car will be most like getting either a 10pt. cm cage or a 25.5 setup. I have been in drag racing for 13+ years. I can drive anything with tits or tires Twisted Evil

Forgive me for asking, I've only been doing it since 1969. I'm surprised you have questions Exclamation You clearly don't want to tell us if you've already bought any parts. I'll quit asking... Laughing Laughing Laughing

My bad. No I haven't still in the planning stages and seeing what I want to do. I like the idea of the 604. Even if it will make 700 N/A and 850 Spray that would be fine. It is going to be something that I drive to work all the time in the summer too Twisted Evil
The reason that I have questions is because I have been dealing with just Modular stuff for the last 7+ years. My builder is helping a lot too since he runs a big grey BBF Torino Twisted Evil
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 26th 2009, 7:44 pm

My bad. No I haven't still in the planning stages and seeing what I want to do. I like the idea of the 604. Even if it will make 700 N/A and 850 Spray that would be fine. It is going to be something that I drive to work all the time in the summer too Twisted Evil
The reason that I have questions is because I have been dealing with just Modular stuff for the last 7+ years. My builder is helping a lot too since he runs a big grey BBF Torino Twisted Evil

If that's as far as you want to go, the P51's will get you there with room for growth. The 604 is relatively inexpensive to build, pistons, crank, rods, etc. are all basically shelf items. The Chinese cranks are inexpensive, I'd go with the Scat forged unit, Diamond has shelf pistons for the P51 head and I believe in the 4.6250" bore size. The aftermarket h beam rods are all about the same, I'd use Scat or even Eagle, with the bolt upgrade. Use the IDT block, it's good to the 4.700" bore. I'd have someone do the heads professionally, Charlie Evans would be my choice, but there are many on the board who can do similar good work, it's just a matter of preference. For the intake, I assume you want a single Dominator, so the Victor is the choice. Given the street driven part, you would probably want to go with a solid flat tappet cam over a solid roller, although some run the roller on the street with success. Just depends upon how much maintenance you are willing to do. I'd use a Danny Bee belt drive for the camshaft, Meziere electric water pump, I'd go with a crank trigger ignition, oil pan and pickup of your engine builders choice, I prefer dry sump stuff myself, but there is nothing wrong with a wet sump when properly done. There are a number of good builds in the prove builds, Randy Moore(KY Jelly) has a smokin' P51 combo, I'd check it out. That's a start, hope it helps.

Last edited by Nevs on September 26th 2009, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 26th 2009, 7:49 pm

so here we go again you drive a 800 hp car on the streets right let me guess small block???

these are a different world from any small block cars... PERIOD

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 8:22 pm

the Coug wrote:so here we go again you drive a 800 hp car on the streets right let me guess small block???

these are a different world from any small block cars... PERIOD

Randy

Did I say that? I have no issue driving anything on the street. Who gives a rats ass how much power it makes? I am not driving in round abouts all the time Arrow
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 8:25 pm

Nevs wrote:

If that's as far as you want to go, the P51's will get you there with room for growth. The 604 is relatively inexpensive to build, pistons, crank, rods, etc. are all basically shelf items. The Chinese cranks are inexpensive, I'd go with the Scat forged unit, Diamond has shelf pistons for the P51 head and I believe in the 4.6250" bore size. The aftermarket h beam rods are all about the same, I'd use Scat or even Eagle, with the bolt upgrade. Use the IDT block, it's good to the 4.700" bore. I'd have someone do the heads professionally, Charlie Evans would be my choice, but there are many on the board who can do similar good work, it's just a matter of preference. For the intake, I assume you want a single Dominator, so the Victor is the choice. Given the street driven part, you would probably want to go with a solid flat tappet cam over a solid roller, although some run the roller on the street with success. Just depends upon how much maintenance you are willing to do. I'd use a Danny Bee belt drive for the camshaft, Meziere electric water pump, I'd go with a crank trigger ignition, oil pan and pickup of your engine builders choice, I prefer dry sump stuff myself, but there is nothing wrong with a wet sump when properly done. There are a number of good builds in the prove builds, Randy Moore(KY Jelly) has a smokin' P51 combo, I'd check it out. That's a start, hope it helps.

Thank you. That is the kind of advice I was lookin for cheers
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  Bsherry September 26th 2009, 8:53 pm

Isn't 604 a little BIG for P-51s? If you use P-51s your pistons won't work with A or C heads if you want to upgrade later?

IMHO you should go with A heads now.

Bruce
Bsherry
Bsherry
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 26th 2009, 9:00 pm

Bsherry wrote:Isn't 604 a little BIG for P-51s? If you use P-51s your pistons won't work with A or C heads if you want to upgrade later?

Bruce

That's what I was driving at with my questions, Bruce. As the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it"... Wink
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 9:09 pm

Nevs wrote:
Bsherry wrote:Isn't 604 a little BIG for P-51s? If you use P-51s your pistons won't work with A or C heads if you want to upgrade later?

Bruce

That's what I was driving at with my questions, Bruce. As the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it"... Wink

I thought we were drinkin the koolaide...oh boy bounce
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 26th 2009, 9:37 pm

Stangman98 wrote:
Nevs wrote:

Bruce

I thought we were drinkin the koolaide...oh boy bounce

Go back to my second response to your question, the P51 are a great head and will make the horsepower you say you want, with some room for growth. However, and trust me on this, a couple of years from now or maybe sooner, you'll wish you went with a bigger and better head. Trust me, I've been there. That's why I kept asking if you'd bought any parts yet. It's your money, do what you want, but you will always want more. It's far cheaper to do it right the first time, than to do it two or three times before getting what you really desire. JMHO
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Stangman98 September 26th 2009, 9:41 pm

Where is the best place to check out A & C Heads?
Stangman98
Stangman98

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next