BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard steering

+4
HorsinAround
Old blue Racin Team
schmitty
digger460
8 posters

Go down

Hard steering  Empty Hard steering

Post  digger460 May 28th 2012, 7:54 pm

I have a 79 F150 460 with 38" Boggers and a 6" lift. Its real hard steering. I replaced the power steering pump and didn't help. Maybe a new steering gear box? This is a dedicated mud bogger.
digger460
digger460

Back to top Go down

Hard steering  Empty Re: Hard steering

Post  schmitty May 28th 2012, 10:51 pm

Put on a full hydraulic system with a Charlyn valve and a hydraulic cylinder and you won't be happier. I stole mine off of an old combine.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Old blue Racin Team May 29th 2012, 6:51 am

eat you wienies and loose the power steering all together!
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Hard steering  Empty RE

Post  HorsinAround May 30th 2012, 1:46 pm

Got mine from a fork lift, and you can get the pump from Northern. I'm sure you've seen the posts on Reddog's site related to this topic.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam May 30th 2012, 11:41 pm

I used a electric pump out of a toyo mr2, I was skeptical at first about haveing enough power to be able to steer easily, But it works great, am hanging more weights this season with no noticeable difference,,, Simply re-route hyd, hoses to the the box, and done
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 31st 2012, 8:48 am

samiam wrote:I used a electric pump out of a toyo mr2, I was skeptical at first about haveing enough power to be able to steer easily, But it works great, am hanging more weights this season with no noticeable difference,,, Simply re-route hyd, hoses to the the box, and done

Are you full hyd or just hyd assist?

Right now, I run a 2" bore x 8" stroke ram from Tractor Supply hooked up to an Sauer Danfoss mini orbital valve found on John Deere yard tractors being fed by a non valved 12vdc hyd pump from Northern Tool. Steers great, but sort of odd not having the feedback from the wheels.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam May 31st 2012, 6:50 pm

kjett wrote:
samiam wrote:I used a electric pump out of a toyo mr2, I was skeptical at first about haveing enough power to be able to steer easily, But it works great, am hanging more weights this season with no noticeable difference,,, Simply re-route hyd, hoses to the the box, and done

Are you full hyd or just hyd assist?

Right now, I run a 2" bore x 8" stroke ram from Tractor Supply hooked up to an Sauer Danfoss mini orbital valve found on John Deere yard tractors being fed by a non valved 12vdc hyd pump from Northern Tool. Steers great, but sort of odd not having the feedback from the wheels.

I'd say it's more of a hyd assist since I still have the gear box, I didnt want full hydro in the case that I still motor over to the local shows, and if the pump ever was to fail, I still have manual steering, but it does leave a cleaner engine compartment - no pump or belt, and I figure it was also worth a few ponies too,,,,,,,,As far as not haveing the feed back on yours, do you have to wait for some drift to see were your at , before correcting ????
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 1st 2012, 8:08 am

Not really waiting on drift. I can see when the truck starts to get sideways and adjust as needed. Takes a bit to get used to, but I like it now.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 June 1st 2012, 3:41 pm

[quote="kjett"]Not really waiting on drift. I can see when the truck starts to get sideways and adjust as needed. Takes a bit to get used to, but I like it now.[/quot

I don't see how you could EVER like that steering.
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  wvmudder June 2nd 2012, 9:02 pm

For off road only use, full hydro cant be beat, smooth and effortless. No feed back also means no kickback, but that probably wont be an issue if you only race man made pits though. My char-lynn valve has the check ball in it so you can steer manually if the engine is off, its pretty stiff trying that with 52" tires but it works.

Dave S.
wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Post  Old blue Racin Team June 3rd 2012, 12:06 am

youd be surprised the kick back you get in a 'man made pit'
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content