BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which brand of slicks do you prefer for small tire cars ?

+6
bbf-falcon
4thHorseman
TravisRice
D. Sea
the Coug
nuclearcobra
10 posters

Go down

Which brand of slicks do you prefer for small tire cars ? Empty Which brand of slicks do you prefer for small tire cars ?

Post  nuclearcobra September 29th 2009, 8:17 am

i always favored MT but at the division 1 bracket finals last weekend i had to get new slicks and my only choices were goodyear or hoosier the mt dealer was at another race so i went with hoosiers 28x10.0 which is the same size as my mt 28x10.5 the hoosier 28x10.5 was huge the hoosiers seem like a stickey azz tire we only got to make four runs on them so far this sunday i'll be able to try them at my home track which hooks better than maple grove so i can see if they are better than the mt slicks i had i was just wondering what your guys opinions were on tire types.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Which brand of slicks do you prefer for small tire cars ? Empty Re: Which brand of slicks do you prefer for small tire cars ?

Post  the Coug September 29th 2009, 8:35 am

wow thats one long sentence...

LOL

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Which brand of slicks do you prefer for small tire cars ? Empty Re: Which brand of slicks do you prefer for small tire cars ?

Post  D. Sea September 29th 2009, 12:00 pm

I prefer Hoosiers
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 29th 2009, 2:28 pm

Ditto on that Damon another for Hoosiers

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 29th 2009, 4:42 pm

nuclearcobra wrote:i always favored MT but at the division 1 bracket finals last weekend i had to get new slicks and my only choices were goodyear or hoosier the mt dealer was at another race so i went with hoosiers 28x10.0 which is the same size as my mt 28x10.5 the hoosier 28x10.5 was huge the hoosiers seem like a stickey azz tire we only got to make four runs on them so far this sunday i'll be able to try them at my home track which hooks better than maple grove so i can see if they are better than the mt slicks i had i was just wondering what your guys opinions were on tire types.

I think that it really depends on how hard your car uses the tires. The Galaxie with either of the engines liked the M/T Stiff sidewall deal. The Hoosiers seemed like they 60 foooted as good with little burnout, but the car ate the tires over the length of the quarter mile. That was really evident after looking at them after the first pass, they literally looked like you chewed the tread on them. The M/T on the other hand looked to keep a more even looking pattern and appeared to not wear no where near as fast. They liked a little more heat in the burnout, 60 footed as well as the Hoosiers, and ETed and MPH faster on my junk. Of coarse we were trying to put 1100Hp to the pavement in a 3900lb car also.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman September 29th 2009, 9:41 pm

Can you get Hoosiers in a stiff or soft sidewall? Which is a better idea for a small tire, heavier car?
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 29th 2009, 9:42 pm

I've always ran M/T ET, because they worked good and lasted alot longer. Tweety has a new set of Hoosiers on it now. I hope they work well Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford September 29th 2009, 10:13 pm

the Coug wrote:wow thats one long sentence...

LOL

Randy

^ Nice ^ Rolling Eyes

Sometimes ya got to ask a guy that actually races.. Otherwise ya get a comment like the quote.

M/T is your best bet.. I haven't had any better performance with the Hoosiers that I run. The Hoosiers have a harder sidwall and that might me better for a heavy car. I've forgot to put jackstands under the car and had 3 psi and the car looks like 15 psi was in them.

Next time around I'm going back to M/T's!
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird September 29th 2009, 10:25 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:I've always ran M/T ET, because they worked good and lasted alot longer. Tweety has a new set of Hoosiers on it now. I hope they work well Rolling Eyes
Rick , I run Hoosiers on Big Tweety and I love them. There's no way any other tire could perform any better than they do. I've run everything on my Mustang and prefer Goodyears on it. The M/T were the worst tire I've ever run on it, but it has 14/32's. I ran the M/T 's on my 66 Comet years ago and like the small tires real well. And I race alot Les...I'm not a TNT guy Cool cheers
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 29th 2009, 10:31 pm

On the small tire stuff M/T prolly has the best thing going right now, Hoosiers seem to work for some around here, but the hot track temps seem to like the M/T best. I feel the compound and sidewall are more important than the make IMO.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman September 30th 2009, 9:53 am

I don't want to hijack but a quick comment would be helpful. I've been running 28x13.50 M/T ET Streets but I'm looking to just swap on some full slicks now with a new, serious converter in there. For a 3400lbs '69 on a track that gets hot but typically has crappy prep, what might you recommend (compound, sidewall)?
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra September 30th 2009, 12:05 pm

Yea that was a long sentence i forgot the periods and commas Laughing the tires i had were the ones i bought from Bruno eariler this year they were the stiff wall mt's and i run tubes also. I did ask the hoosier dealer about stiff walls in the size i got and they dont make them anymore but the side walls seem a lot firmer than the regular mt's so it might be perfect i'll find out sunday. As far as a heavy car i would think stiff walls and tubes ya cant get any stiffer than that heck i still wrinkeled the crap out of them and my car is only 2700 with me in it and only 60' at 1.50 on a good run.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jm September 30th 2009, 2:29 pm

if its a stiff side wall tire, i like the goodyears, soft sidewall, i love my mickeys Smile

jm

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 30th 2009, 8:42 pm

westsideford wrote:
the Coug wrote:wow thats one long sentence...

LOL

Randy

^ Nice ^ Rolling Eyes

Sometimes ya got to ask a guy that actually races.. Otherwise ya get a comment like the quote.

M/T is your best bet.. I haven't had any better performance with the Hoosiers that I run. The Hoosiers have a harder sidwall and that might me better for a heavy car. I've forgot to put jackstands under the car and had 3 psi and the car looks like 15 psi was in them.

Next time around I'm going back to M/T's!

Les Who gives a F&%k what you think. I have not posted on any of your remarks, but if you wish, I can so leave it the F*%k alone shrimpy with the Barney Purple well pump junk....

I think nuclear knew what I ment thus the LOL at the end... and if that is over your head that means (Laugh out loud....)

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 30th 2009, 9:06 pm

Just mounted a brand spankin' new set of Pheonix slicks..........pretty good tire IMO.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 30th 2009, 9:47 pm

Jon aren't the Phoenix a branch of Firestone? I use to run them long time ago nice tires....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra October 1st 2009, 7:27 am

Jon have you used them yet ? a few guys at my track use them and say their great. O and i just looked at pictures from the divison 1 bracket finals last week at maplegrove raceway and you can see how much the hoosiers are wrinkled up at 14 psi with tubes in them the pics are at www.photosportsusa.com and its group 24 #132. And you can see the stiff wall mickeys how much they wrinkle up with tubes and 14 psi in group 5 #125,189 and 190 for comparision.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down