BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

changing 9" lug patters

+9
dirt_worker
the Coug
lghting94
Copperhead
kjett
cool40
56Tbird
whatbumper
bb429power
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

changing 9" lug patters - Page 2 Empty Re: changing 9" lug patters

Post  dirt_worker August 8th 2012, 8:22 pm

Justin, how big of tire/wheel you wanting to run?
I've also got a 67 f100 w 5x5.5 pattern on the rear.
I've got centerline 8.5 convo pros on the rear w 29x11.5 tires that fit perfectly in the wheelwell....
There's no need to try and reinvent the wheel...

if you need me to measure the offset let me know.

here's a current photo....
https://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/dirt_worker/?action=view&current=2012-07-23122436.jpg
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 8th 2012, 9:21 pm

dirt_worker wrote:Justin, how big of tire/wheel you wanting to run?
I've also got a 67 f100 w 5x5.5 pattern on the rear.
I've got centerline 8.5 convo pros on the rear w 29x11.5 tires that fit perfectly in the wheelwell....
There's no need to try and reinvent the wheel...

if you need me to measure the offset let me know.

here's a current photo....
https://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/dirt_worker/?action=view&current=2012-07-23122436.jpg
I LOVE those wheels!!! Could you please tell me the dimensions and where to get them because I'm having no luck finding them. That would make my life a lot easier Laughing Very Happy

EDIT- and are the tires in the picture the 29x11.5's? They look a lot bigger to me
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 8th 2012, 11:44 pm

justine call Jim at Jim's racing on Baltmore he may can get you some wheel I bought mine from him 1-800-281-0409
Justin i got my front end for my 69 from a 74 with disc everything bolted right nprpblem
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger August 8th 2012, 11:47 pm

For the front find an 80's era F100 as mentioned for the rear and grab the I-beams and spindles and all and put them under your truck. That should also get you ballpoints vs. Kingpins as an upgrade.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  droppedf100 August 9th 2012, 12:16 am

OK from personal experience the 80s 5x4.5 stuff will not work on a 79 and older ford. I tried using the rotor on my 79 and the hub itself is much narrower. Even if you had an early 80s truck you would need the spindles and calipers to go with the rotors bc its all different and very light duty I might add.
droppedf100
droppedf100

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 9th 2012, 5:21 pm

The tire shop guy is figuring out the exact dimensions I need for the rear wheels, then he's ordering me all four convo pro's Very Happy they make them in the 5x5.5 pattern but they aren't listed. Cost's more than I added up, but that's because of the taxes and shipping
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 9th 2012, 9:30 pm

So wait, you found the wheels you wanted in the size and backspace you wanted in a 5x5.5 lug pattern. Rolling Eyes

Guess just because it's not listed on the Internet, company's don't make wheels in 5x5.5 lug pattern.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 9th 2012, 10:25 pm

Justin they are not anything cheap on fixing up one of these old fords up.that body sytle I have had my 69 for 19 years and have spent a bunch on.it and now it just sits in the yard.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead August 10th 2012, 8:16 am

kjett wrote:So wait, you found the wheels you wanted in the size and backspace you wanted in a 5x5.5 lug pattern. Rolling Eyes

Guess just because it's not listed on the Internet, company's don't make wheels in 5x5.5 lug pattern.

Look dude,......

You were the one that said (and I quote) " there is tons of aftermaket support in the 5x5.5 lug pattern in 15" on up sizes in what ever width you want"

I said,.....
Decent wheels (in this pattern) are few & far in between and 5x5.5" pattern is the absolute bastard of wheel bolt patterns,......as far as the aftermarket is concerned.

I also said this,.....
Manufactures like Centerline or Weld Racing only offer the 5x5.5" pattern in a very few wheels.

I never said he/you "couldn't" get them.

You can take your sarcastic reply and shove it. Mad

Bottom line is,.......

Your comments and advice were wrong.

What I said was correct.

Next time,.........know what the hell you're talking about before opening your pie hole.

Have a nice day. Razz

Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 10th 2012, 9:48 am

Seems like somebody has their panties in a bunch. Laughing

My point was that many of you wanna be truck guys look at places like Summit which markets mainly to the car and front wheel drive crowd. You look at their web sites or magazines and don't see what you are looking for and ASSUME there is no aftermarket support. A simple call will show you that 90% of the wheels you see for 6x5.5, 5x4.5, 5x5, whatever lug can be had in a 5x5.5 lug pattern. If they make it for the rest, they make it for the big Ford pattern. Just because you claim to own a few lightning pickups doesn't mean you know everything truck related. If you relied soley on what you saw in the Summit magazine, you wouln't know they sold anything for big block Fords as 80% of the crap they show if for the bowtie or small block crowd. Guess you just need to work on your web racing search skills some more instead of giving "car advise" to truck guys. Wink
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead August 10th 2012, 10:05 am

kjett wrote:Summit markets mainly to the car and front wheel drive crowd. You look at their web sites or magazines and don't see what you are looking for and ASSUME there is no aftermarket support. A simple call will show you that 90% of the wheels you see for 6x5.5, 5x4.5, 5x5, whatever lug can be had in a 5x5.5 lug pattern. If they make it for the rest, they make it for the big Ford pattern.

I posted the "link" to Summit as an EXAMPLE. You can't post a link to a phone #.

And trust me,.....I have called the wheel manufactures. What you're saying about most styles of wheels available in 5x4.5 or 5x5 being available in the 5x5.5" is COMPLETELY WRONG. Some wheel companies USE to offer some of them in that pattern,.....but not anymore. They're reasoning is that a lot of end users put them on large, heavy trucks and they had too much breakage & failures,......not to mention the only other vehicles that came with that BP was primarily Dodge trucks & Suzuki Samari's. These vehicles are not very popular, hence the aftermarket is not going to make items that they're not going to sell.

kjett wrote:Just because you claim to own a few lightning pickups doesn't mean you know everything truck related.

Never claimed to know everything,............
BUT,......
I've probably forgot more about these body-style trucks than you knew to start with.

Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 10th 2012, 10:26 am

Copperhead wrote:Never claimed to know everything,............
BUT,......
I've probably forgot more about these body-style trucks than you knew to start with.

Whatever you say dude. I'll let you continue down the path of the typical webtard and give inaccurate information due to your lack of search skills. And as for forgetting more than I knew, I doubt that, but you can think whatever makes you feel better about yourself. king
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead August 10th 2012, 10:49 am

All I know is,.........

If I was on outside looking in and two different people were trying to give me advice, I think I'd listen to the one that's owned more than a dozen 87-96 F-series trucks,.....rather than the guy who cut up a Ranger to stuffed a BBF ford in it.

Also,......
Anybody that knows me, been to my garage or seen my work or my trucks,... know what I'm capable of.
What I have,... has been built (with my own two hands),......not bought.

Moral of all this,........
The information you tried to convey to the OP was wrong,.......I made you aware of it (backed up by another member) and you can't handle it.

Now you're trying to turn things around and trying to make the thread into a pissing match.
I can't have a discussion with someone that has something lacking,.......
So therefore,

I'm DONE

changing 9" lug patters - Page 2 Fugator

PS:
I appoligize to the OP for what the thread turned into.
The Convo Pro's are an excellent wheel and I think you'll be happy with them. I'm sure they were pricey though.

Good luck

Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 10th 2012, 11:36 am

All you see is the ranger, because that's the one I race. I also have a 65 F-100, 79 F-150, 95 Eddie Bauer F-150 with a solid front axle conversion, an 89 Bronco, and a 2005 F350. And that's just the current drivable vehicles, there's be a bunch of others that came and went and a few projects waiting their turn. You don't know me, and I don't know you, lets keep it that way.

As for your "moral", you are way off base. The OP asked a question, you said there was no aftermarket support, and I proved you wrong. You gave Summit as an example, I gave 4wheel parts. Different strokes, but they can get you what you need. Even the OP found with a simple phone call that he can get the old school Convo Pro's he likes in the correct size, backspace and original lug pattern. You are just full of shit and can't handle being called out on it. In the future, I can guarantee he will find more 9" TRUCK axles will have 5x5.5 lug pattern vs. the very limited 5x5.4 pattern. This shows how simple minded you are, and to that point, I'm done with you.

To the OP and others reading/watching, I'm sorry this turned where it did, but it seems Mr. Copperhead thinks that his way is the only way, and want others to spend much more money than needed to get the same result. Whether you keep the 5x5.5 setup or spend more money to convert to 5x5.4 is your choice. Good luck and have fun either way. cheers
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 August 10th 2012, 11:40 am

Well said Mr Copperhead!

Was gonna make another comment but deleted it because some are to bullheaded to listen.

Todd
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 August 10th 2012, 11:55 am

As for cost of changing the front of a 2wd truck to 5 x 4.5 buying all new calipers, rotors, pads, bearings, seals, and brake hoses would cost approx $200(called oreillys and priced it) provided your truck already had disc brakes. The rear would be approx $500 and that is upgrading to aftermarket axles and installing new brake drums. So for $700 you can quadruple your wheel selections for your truck.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger August 11th 2012, 8:22 pm

Copperhead wrote:All I know is,.........

If I was on outside looking in and two different people were trying to give me advice, I think I'd listen to the one that's owned more than a dozen 87-96 F-series trucks,.....rather than the guy who cut up a Ranger to stuffed a BBF ford in it.

Whats wrong with a BBF in a Ranger??? Smile
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 12th 2012, 12:38 am

bigblok2000ranger wrote:

they have traction issues...... Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 12th 2012, 3:21 am

cool40 wrote:
bigblok2000ranger wrote:

they have traction issues...... Razz

no they dont mine hooks fine Laughing
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike August 19th 2012, 12:42 am

Justin, If you desire!
Moser Engineering will redrill your axles for $65+ shipping
They also redrill drums and rotors. $65 also.

I have a set of 5x4.5 axles out of a 1982 F100 with a 9" in the shop. The brake drums were junk so I scrapped them. PM me if you want to go that route.

mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 29th 2012, 11:06 pm

f250mike wrote:Justin, If you desire!
Moser Engineering will redrill your axles for $65+ shipping
They also redrill drums and rotors. $65 also.

I have a set of 5x4.5 axles out of a 1982 F100 with a 9" in the shop. The brake drums were junk so I scrapped them. PM me if you want to go that route.

mike
I ended up going a different route, but thank you for the offer.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2