BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana.......

2 posters

Go down

Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana....... Empty Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana.......

Post  ThndrChkn September 19th 2012, 10:47 am

This ram was taken a couple weeks ago here in Montana. My friend and fellow "Ford racer" John Lewton was along for the hunt. He's the one wearing the cap in the first pic. Here's the write up I got from John in an email, along with the pics:

"Hi, just got back from the Breaks with Bow hunter Jim Hens, his wife Sue and two Boys
Jim had assembled a good group of sheep hunters. He brought his friend Dustin Roe down from canada, his Camera man and friend Tyler Johnerson. Also had Willie out doing some pre-season scouting and helping on the hunt, also his friend and taxidermist Chris was there to help out, and myself. Jim was hoping to take a World Record with a bow and we think he did it. He shot a great ram at 84 yds after Tyler stopped him with a sheep grunt. It was very exciting and a great accomplishment for Jim. The ram scored 202 2/8 green. Jim also has the world record stone and desert sheep with a bow. Everyone involved had a great time and a great hunt. The Outfiter was Chris Fabor who did a great job and bent over backwards to see that everyone had a good hunt".

Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana....... 1348065287816_zps6748439e
Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana....... 1348065290472_zps219292c8
Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana....... 1348065293205_zps88b0e0c2
Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana....... 1348065295722_zps6e70c3d8
Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana....... 1348065298207_zps16eda98c
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana....... Empty Re: Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana.......

Post  blown86hallet September 19th 2012, 12:15 pm

202 green?

I say 198 - 199 when it dries...

Our Arizona rocky mountain went from 192 green to 189 dry.
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana....... Empty Re: Pending World Record Ram Taken In Montana.......

Post  ThndrChkn September 19th 2012, 12:49 pm

I agree Adam. Should be really close to that. What I found most impressive about this particular sheep, is that he hasn't broomed off. He has that wide sweeping curl of the Dall Sheep. Very cool, and uncharacteristic of most Rocky Mountain Bighorn. I didn't know Arizona had many Rocky Mountain Bighorn, I thought they were predominantly Desert Bighorn? According to what the stats say that I read last year, this area where they're finding these sheep, is fast becoming the most applied for area in the world for Bighorn Sheep. One thing is for sure, they won't last forever...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  blown86hallet September 19th 2012, 12:56 pm

ThndrChkn wrote:I agree Adam. Should be really close to that. What I found most impressive about this particular sheep, is that he hasn't broomed off. He has that wide sweeping curl of the Dall Sheep. Very cool, and uncharacteristic of most Rocky Mountain Bighorn. I didn't know Arizona had many Rocky Mountain Bighorn, I thought they were predominantly Desert Bighorn? According to what the stats say that I read last year, this area where they're finding these sheep, is fast becoming the most applied for area in the world for Bighorn Sheep. One thing is for sure, they won't last forever...

The arizona rocky ram is "very" un-known, but I'm sure that has changed. They are along the blue river between New mexico and Arizona! It's some NASTY ass country! Unit 27, it's all wilderness, no vehicles of any type allowed! Horseback and foot!

you mada a great point (broomed). My dads sheep had really bad broomed rams. almost a 2-3 radius....But still a massive RAM! Didn't know there was a saying for that...
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 20th 2012, 11:21 pm

The only reason they "broom" off is because in most cases when they get enough curl, it starts interfering with their vision, so they rub their horns off so they can see. That's why this particular ram is so unique... One of these days I'll get one of these sheep tags... I hope... LOL...!

This country where they took this ram is the same way. It's called the C.M. Russell Wildlife Refuge. Basically, it's a wilderness area too. Google it sometime, it's freakin huge. Fort Peck Reservoir is a man made lake, built by the Army Corp of Engineers, to help control/regulate flow of the Missouri River (IIRC)... It has like 1500 miles of total shoreline, and other than foot/horseback, you can access the Refuge from the lake as well, but it's all foot traffic from there...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down