BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bellhousings/Opinions wanted

+6
bruno
TravisRice
dfree383
schmitty
the Coug
blown473
10 posters

Go down

Bellhousings/Opinions wanted Empty Bellhousings/Opinions wanted

Post  blown473 September 22nd 2012, 8:42 pm

I have to buy a scattershield, and have used Lakewoods in the past, but have never owned a Quick Time or McLeod, and since I'm in the hunt I thought I'd ask the experts here for their feedback on other all of them, which is thought best? This is for a Ford Toploader application. This is going behind my new blown 514. Any input would be appreciated.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Bellhousings/Opinions wanted Empty Re: Bellhousings/Opinions wanted

Post  the Coug September 24th 2012, 8:13 am

Good Luck but I don't think the Top Loader will hold up behind a blown 514 if you have any grunt in it....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Bellhousings/Opinions wanted Empty toploader

Post  blown473 September 24th 2012, 7:47 pm

I've run both the standard 1 to 1 and the overdrive version for about 7 years now with no issues, and I make over 750ft lbs . The truck has been in a transformation to a Land speed vehicle, so the days of shock launching the toploader are over, it's all about gearing now, that's the reason I took the 1 to 1 unit out & began testing with the overdrive version, which has worked very well so far. The blow proof bell is required by the SCTA rules to run either Bonneville or El Mirage. I have owned Lakewoods, and sometimes they are off and have to be dialed in with the pins. Having never owned a "Quick Time" unit, I was hoping to hear some feedback as to the fitment . They are about $150. more than Lakewoods bell. I'm sure the high power cars on here punish a transmission at the track far beyond what I would ever do, heck we can use a push vehicle to get moving if we want in land speed racing, so gearing to the maximum that the motor can pull is the idea. I use 30% overdrive, and 2.47 rear gears. Most on the forum also know my truck has a huge pulse jet engine in the bed too, an air breathing rocket engine made famous by the Germans in WW2, and reverse engineered & built by Ford Motor Company for the Army Aircorps. same engine family as ram jets & scram jets. That puts out over 1000 lbs of thrust, really lightens the load on the front engine. I'll post a pic.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 24th 2012, 10:15 pm

Definitely need picks of that pusher ram jet. Shocked
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 24th 2012, 11:05 pm

Either choice should work fine, I haven't used the quick time stuff yet, but they look good from the ones I've seen.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 25th 2012, 5:56 am

blown473 wrote:I've run both the standard 1 to 1 and the overdrive version for about 7 years now with no issues, and I make over 750ft lbs . The truck has been in a transformation to a Land speed vehicle, so the days of shock launching the toploader are over, it's all about gearing now, that's the reason I took the 1 to 1 unit out & began testing with the overdrive version, which has worked very well so far. The blow proof bell is required by the SCTA rules to run either Bonneville or El Mirage. I have owned Lakewoods, and sometimes they are off and have to be dialed in with the pins. Having never owned a "Quick Time" unit, I was hoping to hear some feedback as to the fitment . They are about $150. more than Lakewoods bell. I'm sure the high power cars on here punish a transmission at the track far beyond what I would ever do, heck we can use a push vehicle to get moving if we want in land speed racing, so gearing to the maximum that the motor can pull is the idea. I use 30% overdrive, and 2.47 rear gears. Most on the forum also know my truck has a huge pulse jet engine in the bed too, an air breathing rocket engine made famous by the Germans in WW2, and reverse engineered & built by Ford Motor Company for the Army Aircorps. same engine family as ram jets & scram jets. That puts out over 1000 lbs of thrust, really lightens the load on the front engine. I'll post a pic.

Do some checking on the quicktime bell before you buy it. When I was getting ready to purchase mine ( 1 year ago) Quicktime did not have an actual SFI sticker on the bell......the fine print read the bell had passed thier SFI testing but had no official sticker or paper work. I ended up buying the Lakewood for that reason only. They do offer some SFI aproved Chevrolet bells and a few small block Ford bells but when I called there was no market for the BBF SFI was what I was told and there were no direct plans to change that in the near future. Again give them a call, they are decent people to talk with and straight forth. JMO
Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno September 25th 2012, 7:02 am

schmitty wrote:Definitely need picks of that pusher ram jet. Shocked

if you havent seen pics , you gonna drop your jaw when you see these Twisted Evil

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 25th 2012, 9:52 am

Lakewood
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 25th 2012, 3:14 pm

bruno wrote:
schmitty wrote:Definitely need picks of that pusher ram jet. Shocked

if you havent seen pics , you gonna drop your jaw when you see these Twisted Evil

I would like to see the difference between running with this home made thing and without it...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Kens429 September 25th 2012, 4:23 pm

I would hesitate to spend the extra money for the Quicktime now that they are owned by Mr. Gasket like Lakewood. From what I have heard from many is that the quality of the Lakewood has been off for a while, and since the sale of Quicktime theirs has been poor also. Problems with the Lakewood are usually transmission bore center alignment, which can be fixes with offset dowells. The Quicktime has been reported to be having the same problems as well as won't fit many clutches without using extra block plates. Basically, the bellhousing depth is not what they advertise.

I just went thru the process of updating my bell. I decided to buy a Browell. He custom built the bellhousing to my specs and added an adjustment window. I paid less than $900 including the block plate and sales tax. If you don't need the window it will be several hundred cheaper. I added his billet clutch fork that pivots on an adjustable heim joint. Very helpful for slowing the clutch release and avoiding redlights! I am very frugal, and have no regrets.

Ken
Kens429
Kens429

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 25th 2012, 4:33 pm

I have owned many many Lakewoods, McLoud, Ansens amd they are made of good thick steel, from what I have seen Quick times are casted. I would go a good Heavy steel long before a casted steel....I had a good friend long ago run a casted Bellhousing and I kept preaching to him about getting a scattershield on his car....one Friday night he got in a race, and second gear at about 8500 his clutch let go. Nice clean cut thru the trans tunnel cut all wiring in the dash and big rip in his cowl the next weekend he had a scatter shield , it missed his feet by mear inches.
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R September 25th 2012, 7:09 pm

the Coug wrote:I have owned many many Lakewoods, McLoud, Ansens amd they are made of good thick steel, from what I have seen Quick times are casted. I would go a good Heavy steel long before a casted steel....I had a good friend long ago run a casted Bellhousing and I kept preaching to him about getting a scattershield on his car....one Friday night he got in a race, and second gear at about 8500 his clutch let go. Nice clean cut thru the trans tunnel cut all wiring in the dash and big rip in his cowl the next weekend he had a scatter shield , it missed his feet by mear inches.

X2 My buddy lost the clutch on his Roadrunner along with the front half of his right foot, went through the steering column and sent the car into the wall at 120 mph. Quite a spectacular wreck, he no longer races and walks kinda funny too.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Bellhousings/Opinions wanted Empty Thanks !

Post  blown473 September 25th 2012, 7:20 pm

Thanks all of you for the input! Lakewood is the only one I've owned, and someone said they don't come with the block plate anymore? Not sure on that. I've been running a stock cast iron bell, and I'm fearing an explosion too. Quick Time claims there's is within .003 accurate, that all the bells bolt holes are drilled at the same time. Quick Time says their center is spun, where Lakewood's is stamped. I will probably just stick with Lakewood as long as it includes the block plate. Thanks again , appreciate all the experts here!
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  4speed September 25th 2012, 7:23 pm

I be wrong but from my research I don't think lakewood makes one for a 460 anymore. Truck pullers are scrambling to find used ones. If anybody has one I'm looking as well for a spare.-A
4speed
4speed

Back to top Go down

Post  Kens429 September 25th 2012, 8:56 pm

4speed wrote:I be wrong but from my research I don't think lakewood makes one for a 460 anymore. Truck pullers are scrambling to find used ones. If anybody has one I'm looking as well for a spare.-A

I still have my old Lakewood, but it is not SFI tagged.

Ken
Kens429
Kens429

Back to top Go down

Bellhousings/Opinions wanted Empty bellhousing

Post  blown473 September 26th 2012, 7:44 am

I'd be interested in a used one as well, does not matter to me if the SFI tag is there or not.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down