BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how much power can stock D3VE heads support?

+3
kjett
IcallhimGeorge
HOOK
7 posters

Go down

how much power can  stock D3VE heads support? Empty how much power can stock D3VE heads support?

Post  HOOK October 5th 2009, 4:06 pm

how much power can stock D3VE heads support?
say a 460 ,solid flat tappit cam, 10 to 11:1 comp. just curious.

HOOK

Back to top Go down

how much power can  stock D3VE heads support? Empty Re: how much power can stock D3VE heads support?

Post  IcallhimGeorge October 5th 2009, 4:14 pm

www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Anyone running a set of iron heads is a fgoober if they have not joined this site. $20-25? I cant remember.

Max effort D3s and properly set up cam, compression, tune and etc are pushing 700hp if Im not mistaken.

Last edited by IcallhimGeorge on October 5th 2009, 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

how much power can  stock D3VE heads support? Empty Re: how much power can stock D3VE heads support?

Post  IcallhimGeorge October 5th 2009, 4:20 pm

double post
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett October 5th 2009, 4:48 pm

While Kris is scared of my D3 headed ranger, he is right. Joint the site, get the porting info and get your combo right and you'll be good until you need to go faster!
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge October 5th 2009, 8:55 pm

speaking of goobers.....
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty October 5th 2009, 9:12 pm

Kris is on the money there, but it will take more than 11:1C/R to get there. I'd say 650 or so with the lower C/R, and you will need to spin it up to get that with a 460ci engine. Cool I think the best max effort 460ci deal I've personally heard of, track proven was a tick over 700.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter October 11th 2009, 5:12 pm

schmitty wrote:Kris is on the money there, but it will take more than 11:1C/R to get there. I'd say 650 or so with the lower C/R, and you will need to spin it up to get that with a 460ci engine. Cool I think the best max effort 460ci deal I've personally heard of, track proven was a tick over 700.

I have a client who posted this on the now new and improved (LOL) forum last year.

472"
RHP max doves
Victor
lots a compression
big solid roller

730 HP at 7200 rpm

I recently sent a chunk of an R&D piece to Dave McLain (It is a D3 casting) to verify my work on his superflow bench. I see no reason what so ever why a head ported like this would not support as much power as the doves do... 2.2" intake and 1.8" exhaust.

.200" 143 / 112.5 W/O pipe
.300" 221 / 156
.400" 277 / 187
.500" 310 / 199
.600" 323 / 196
.700" 340 / 195

The whole point was to maximise flow rates in the mid lift ranges utilised by a majority of people and secondly...
To turn the exhaust flow column with in the port passage to accomodate the typical chassis headers that turn right off of the flange. This design shows a flow improvement with a primary header pipe bolted on both straight and abrupt turn down. The floor of this particular design port is quite a bit more active than a stock port's floor is...

When filled the port flowed great with a straight pipe at 234 cfm but suffered a bunch when an abrupt turn down was used down to 218 cfm.

standard with turn down primary / filled port with turn down primary / filled port no pipe / filled port straight pipe / std port straight pipe

.200" 118 / 115 / 113 / 116 / 117
.300" 160 / 156 / 152 / 159 / 162
.400" 192 / 183 / 180 / 191 / 192
.500" 208 / 200 / 198 / 208 / 208
.600" 210 / 211 / 210 / 224 / 212
.700" 212 / 218 / 217 / 234.5 / 214

Filled floor port was noticably more turbulent with a turn down primary vs the std port with a turn down primary.

I will lay out more of the results in a seperate post.

Suffice to say it appears that in applications where the header primarys turn abruptly off of the flange the properly prepared unfilled exhaust ports enjoy a flow advantage vs the filled floor ports when the primary pipe is added to the equation.

Dave McLain has a recent dyno test where a BBD picked up 30 hp going from a chassis turn down set of headers to a dyno type header with several inches of straight primary before the turn down.

More later.

I have flow rates for:
Brass filled dove C
Procomp
P-51
SCJ out of the box
Above D3

Shocked
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty October 11th 2009, 5:32 pm

That is some very significant info there Scotty. Thank you for sharing this and other info like this for us to use. The time and effort that many post here is very under appreciated, but I for one who lives and dies by the antique iron head rules of the many organizations, greatly appreciate your hard work and knowlege. Many people dismiss the D3 head from a performance standpoint, and don't fully understand what these heads are really capable of, and 730 hp is nothing to sneeze at by any stretch of the imagination. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter October 11th 2009, 6:26 pm

schmitty wrote:That is some very significant info there Scotty. Thank you for sharing this and other info like this for us to use. The time and effort that many post here is very under appreciated, but I for one who lives and dies by the antique iron head rules of the many organizations, greatly appreciate your hard work and knowlege. Many people dismiss the D3 head from a performance standpoint, and don't fully understand what these heads are really capable of, and 730 hp is nothing to sneeze at by any stretch of the imagination. Cool

The 730 HP deal was a mud truck combo in the midwest. It was D0VE headed however as i stated i see no reason why the D3's couldn't be with in a snit of that... I have always felt the D3's would come in second to the doves due to the exhaust ports smaller cross sectional area. Having reworked the short turn, short turn crest, floor etc making the floor of the port more active I really feel that i need to rethink my position...

afro
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav October 11th 2009, 8:53 pm

Im with Schmitty on that one too, being a "Iron Head". Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to the brazed-filled DOVES info. Im am planning this route, since my car will be a piperack and shock-towers will not be a issue.
Thanks again Scotty.
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 12th 2009, 1:42 am

X3... Thanks for the updated info Scotty... I've kinda wondered about what you're talking about, but without a flowbench, I would be wandering aimlessly at trying soomething new... Maybe I'll do up on of my D3 1/4's and send it to you and see if it's what you're talking about here... scratch

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  HOOK October 12th 2009, 3:51 pm

i know the heads will make power ported. i want to know how much (aprox) will they support. UNPORTED. thanx.p.s. i joined scottys side years ago.!!!!

HOOK

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter October 12th 2009, 6:40 pm

Unported D3 castings have a very restrictive and turbulent exhaust port. They will support some 425 HP N/A but require a bunch more cam duration to accomplish that number than ported heads require. That makes for a very soggy bottom end with out the top end charge that the additional duration brings to the table.

I do not recommend trying to do any performance combo with out at least modest port work.

affraid
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

Back to top Go down

Post  HOOK October 13th 2009, 3:53 am

The Mad Porter wrote:Unported D3 castings have a very restrictive and turbulent exhaust port. They will support some 425 HP N/A but require a bunch more cam duration to accomplish that number than ported heads require. That makes for a very soggy bottom end with out the top end charge that the additional duration brings to the table.

I do not recommend trying to do any performance combo with out at least modest port work.

affraid
O.K ROGER-THAT..thanx.

HOOK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down