BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throttle stops

+2
56Tbird
richter69
6 posters

Go down

Throttle stops Empty Throttle stops

Post  STHAZLET November 30th 2012, 2:04 pm

I put an inline Throttle stop on car so the grandson can drive.He is 17 just out of jrs.Car ran 8.70 with injection and tunnelram.I put on a victor intake and prosystems alchol carb.Set timer on throttle stop for wide open throttle for 2 seconds.Then shut it down to half throttle for rest of quarter mile.Went 9.00 Rest stop to quarter throttle and 2 seconds wide open car went 9.21.Reset throttle to 3/16 inch off open 2sec wide open went 10.03 but won't repeat.Any ideas? IfI run car off t-stop its deadly. Thanks steve
STHAZLET
STHAZLET

http://WWW.WEBERHAZLET.COM

Back to top Go down

Throttle stops Empty Re: Throttle stops

Post  richter69 November 30th 2012, 2:29 pm

they wont go part throttle like that for that duration and be consistant.

put a sbc on gas in it and it should slow down enough..........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Throttle stops Empty t-stop

Post  STHAZLET November 30th 2012, 2:54 pm

Well It is A Camero With a bbf motor.Ithought a GOOD big block injected chevy might do it.So you idea isto bring the t-stop back off ?I will try anything as we have never messed with throttle stops before.Always wanted to go faster.
STHAZLET
STHAZLET

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss November 30th 2012, 4:41 pm

Most of the guys in Super class racing do the exact opposite of what you are doing.

Leave the starting line at WOT then slam the throttle off say .01 - .100 after releasing the button. Converter needs to be nice and loose so there is not much acceleration while on the stop. Dead stall around 4000 or so. Get it in to high gear right away while still on the stop. Then go back to full throttle after 2.5-3 seconds or so.

We are ususally shooting for that perfect number so we are adjusting the length of time on the stop to do that. Adjust the second number not the first.

Being on the stop all the way down track leaves to much to chance.

I am however not an expert by any means in spite of the fact I have been trying to do this for 20 plus years. It is always the same. How do I make this pig more consistent????

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Throttle stops Empty t-STOP

Post  STHAZLET November 30th 2012, 5:18 pm

I think you may be on to something.We were leaving it in low gear not shifting when the throttle stop comes on.Makes sense to me that would kill the power.I just had another member pm me and said the same thing.Thanks iI bet I can make it work.To bad it's the wrong season in Iowa to find out.I am going home tonight and set timer on the stop to shift the car to high gear.Thanks up date in the spring,Thanks again.
STHAZLET
STHAZLET

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 30th 2012, 7:07 pm

most classes won't allow a down track throttle controler .It has to be done on the leave.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 30th 2012, 8:23 pm

Waste of money on a good engine imo,BUT,i'm old fashioned Embarassed

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Throttle stops Empty T-stop

Post  STHAZLET November 30th 2012, 11:51 pm

I have never used one before,The only reason I am trying now is because He is 17 and is not NHRA liscenced.He will be 18 July 3. It's to much troble to get his Mom an Dad to sign off as they never agree on anything.I spent almost 8 months getting his liscence for jrs.After july he can sign for himself.I know he can handle the car,he has already gone 9.00 @146 on the stop.I will only be doing this until next july.Then I can take off the stop and put the starting line controler back on. Thanks to everyone for your help and comments I will let ya know how it goes.This is what ya get for promising a 16 yer old if ya finnish in the top 5 in points I will let ya drive one of my cars.Where my my Grandpa when I was 16. Thanks again everyone.
STHAZLET
STHAZLET

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss December 1st 2012, 12:42 am

I was gonna ask about the license issue. Pretty sure NHRA says 9.99 or 135 mph for the license. The method we super class users employ does not kill much mph.
For example. my car goes 8.40 165 flat out but 9.90 160 on the stop. If you want to kill top end mph you will need to take some power out of it as well. There are a few guys around that try to run really low finish line mph just to mess with the fast guys but I an not sure how successful/consistent they are.

If you run IHRA tracks I think the rules are a bit different.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 1st 2012, 12:47 am

IHRA is 9.50 if I remember correctly
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR