BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aluminum fuel line vs. braided PTFE

+6
f250mike
the Coug
512Fairlane
bigblok2000ranger
LivermoreDave
HorsinAround
10 posters

Go down

Aluminum fuel line vs. braided PTFE  Empty Aluminum fuel line vs. braided PTFE

Post  HorsinAround January 10th 2013, 2:40 pm

Was looking on Jegs and Summit at fuel line and came across aluminum fuel line. Cost on the line is substantially cheaper than the stainless braided hose. Is anyone running it? Seems like it might be a good fit to put from the tank to the filter then pump to regulator and regulator back to the tank, then go with the stainless braided hose from there.

Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Aluminum fuel line vs. braided PTFE  Empty Re: Aluminum fuel line vs. braided PTFE

Post  LivermoreDave January 10th 2013, 7:33 pm

Good choice. Lighter, cheaper and easy to work with.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Aluminum fuel line vs. braided PTFE  Empty Re: Aluminum fuel line vs. braided PTFE

Post  bigblok2000ranger January 10th 2013, 9:20 pm

Been running it for years multiple vehicles but I have roundry round shop ten miles away so I save money on shipping.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane January 11th 2013, 8:59 am

I've had it on my car since the mid 90's. Works great,
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround January 11th 2013, 9:18 am

Thanks for the feed back. When I did the lines for my puller the first time, I ran the braided stainless stuff cuz' it looked purdy. I quickly realized there isn't an easy way to put the ends on.
This time with the tank clear in the back of the truck, Im thinking the aluminum line up to the regulator is the way to go.
Do you guys think a 5/8 line from the tank to the regulator (5/8 from tank, filter and pump) will be ok for alcohol feeding dual quads be sufficient? Also, dual carbs is new to me so when I was thinkiing about feeding them with fuel, I was thinking of installing a 4 port fuel log after the regulator, then running -6 or -8 to the bowls. Will this work or is there a better way?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 11th 2013, 10:40 am

Alan the only problem is Aluminum and aky don't like each other it I were going to do it I think I would use Stainless Steel, I don't know if Copper is Kosher or not.
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround January 11th 2013, 11:37 am

the Coug wrote:Alan the only problem is Aluminum and aky don't like each other it I were going to do it I think I would use Stainless Steel, I don't know if Copper is Kosher or not.

I'm glad I asked.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike January 11th 2013, 9:25 pm

Alan, from what I have been told. Anodized aluminum line is ok with alky.
Stay away from the plain stuff.
I was thinking of switching to E85 but didn't want to replumb everything.
Maybe someone here can school us on this topic!
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround January 11th 2013, 9:58 pm

I am hoping someone will take us to school on this lol.

Just found this on another site.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/forum/technical-questions/3707-anodized-6061-t6-aluminum-fittings-methanol.html
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike January 11th 2013, 10:20 pm

From that research it looks like I was told the truth.
Does anodized aluminum cost less than steel?
I suspect even being anodized,the aluminum will still be easier to install than steel.
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 12th 2013, 1:08 am

Copper hard line should not be used as a fuel line.

The 1/2" or 5/8" OD aftermarket aluminum hard line/fuel line coils available from Summit/Jegs/Moroso/etc are perfectly OK to use as the main fuel feed line. It's a very usable low-buck alternative to S/S braided flex line. But it's best if the length of aluminum hard line uses some short amount of a flexible hose (approved rubber or S/S braided) at the joints and/or end of line attachment points (for vibration purposes).

I'm not sure if any of the above mentioned aftermarket aluminum fuel line's "silver" color is actually an anodized coating, or if it's really just bare aluminum. So that can possibly be a problem when using alcohol if the aluminum line used is just bare aluminum. Stainless Steel hard line can be an alternative to the aluminum hard line when using alcohol. But looking at both the Summit & Jegs sites shows that the biggest S/S hard line they offer is only 3/8" OD.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike January 12th 2013, 9:20 am

Dave, I used the summit brand silver aluminun line. It's bare aluminum with no coating.
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  79Puller January 12th 2013, 10:04 am

Did you guys ever use the push-on type hose, it is cheaper and works good.

79Puller

Back to top Go down

Aluminum fuel line vs. braided PTFE  Empty RE

Post  HorsinAround January 12th 2013, 11:54 pm

Found this on Russell's website

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/fuel/lines.shtml

79puller, got a link to the hose your referring to?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 13th 2013, 12:57 am

HorsinAround wrote:Found this on Russell's website

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/fuel/lines.shtml

79puller, got a link to the hose your referring to?

The Russell stuff would probably be OK with alcohol as long as the inside of the tubing was anodized as well as the outside.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra January 13th 2013, 9:21 am

79Puller wrote:Did you guys ever use the push-on type hose, it is cheaper and works good.
I like it ,i did my second car with it and was about a 100 bucks cheaper then braided and a whole lot eaiser plus i think it looks good, i used the aeroquip blue hose from the tank to the carb, plus remember the -8 ss braided id isnt as big as -8 push lock hose the push loc is 1/16 bigger id.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryS January 13th 2013, 12:28 pm

I had SS braided, rubber lined hose. Changing it all out. All rubber liner type hose is temporary. It is vulnerable to all fuels but more so under higher pressure. Manufacturers and suppliers recommend regular replacement. IF aluminum is anodized on the inside, it would be an alternative but I found no assurances that it is coated on the inside. I was concerned about the harsh environment that aluminum would be exposed to in case of crash or mechanical failure. I looked hard at stainless. Stainless is not cheap and is a little harder to work with. I finally shopped around and found bulk SS braided PTFE/Teflon. High pressure, light (compared to SS rubber lined), rash resistant and competatively priced and no one recommends changing it every year. All the other lines on the car are already PTFE...brake, power steering, AC...now it is all the same stuff.
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down