BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads

3 posters

Go down

Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads Empty Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads

Post  Blownshotgun January 24th 2013, 6:21 pm

Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads Photo118

This engine is gonna see some duty on the street in a model A coupe, i'm very limited in room around the blower belt.
I'm thinking of tapping the welsh plugs & feeding the water in from the sides of the block & since the heads have water outlets at both ends i can use them all to pull the water out.

What are your thoughts???

Blownshotgun
Blownshotgun

Back to top Go down

Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads Empty Re: Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads

Post  Blownshotgun January 24th 2013, 6:23 pm

Close up

Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads Photo119
Blownshotgun
Blownshotgun

Back to top Go down

Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads Empty Re: Cooling system with A441 Boss Heads

Post  c.evans January 24th 2013, 7:41 pm

You can go in from the sides of the block if you wish, and you can take your hot water out of both ends of the heads,,,,however you will need to modify your head gasket (and/or o-ring combo) to what we call single pass cooling imo.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Blownshotgun January 24th 2013, 7:44 pm

Thanks Charlie,
Long time no speak, hope you are well.
Can you give me more details on the single Pass?
Cheers, George.
Blownshotgun
Blownshotgun

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans January 24th 2013, 8:02 pm

George,

Good to hear from you! I need to know if you are running head gaskets or o-rings.

Basically if you look at a head gasket, when it is installed properly, there is a water passage at the end of the gasket that goes towards the back of the block. This passage is not at the end of the cylinder head at the front. The factories basic plan is that water enters the block at the front, travels through the block to the rear, and then goes upwards into the head through that water hole. That's "pass" number 1. Then it travels through the head from rear to front and goes out at the water crossover. That's "pass" number 2.

When you convert to single pass cooling, you drill the same hole (the original one at the end of cylinders #4 and # 8 ) in the front of the head gasket also. You must also drill it in the deck surface of a FRPP A-460 block. This lets water come in the front of the block, and like normal it will travel from front to rear in the block. BUT is will also go upwards through the new holes you have drilled at the ends in cylinder #1 and #5, and travel from front to rear through the heads. That's called single pass cooling. Then you must take the hot water out of the engine at the rear with this combo. That's why I have the intake manifold turned around backwards on Krisse Lawyers dragster. The hot water comes out of the water crossover and goes directly to the radiator which is rear mounted over the transmission. We also have single pass cooling on Bobby Smalls dragster and with it we actually take hot water out of both ends of the heads. We have AN #8 lines drilled and tapped into his heads at the back. Food for thought?

Anyway, looking at your pictures I'm wondering if you have enough room to drill and tap that Danny Bee housing from each side. In other words put your water line fittings in from the side and let the water turn a 90* angle within the housing itself and go into the front of the block like normal. Food for thought?

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Blownshotgun January 24th 2013, 8:20 pm

Wow Charlie, thanks for your detailed response Cool

I am going to try a cometic type gasket at this stage, i think this will be a crazy enuf ride at 10-15 pounds of boost which i think the cometics should handle.

What you can't see in the pic is that i've removed the thickness of the engine plate from the belt drive cover so there isn't enuf room to tap from the side, that's why i've had this crazy idea to feed in through the side of the block.

Would it be possible to drill the block in the centre (between 2 & 3) so the water will enter the centre of the head & exit front & rear?

Just throwing it out there, looking for the best solution as i'm sure it'll produce plenty of heat.

Motor will be EFI with 16 injectors running on E85.
It's 598 with 8.5:1.

Cheers.
Blownshotgun
Blownshotgun

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 24th 2013, 11:49 pm

in the waterpump holes,and out the front of the heads,works perfect
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Blownshotgun January 28th 2013, 3:19 am

Well, what do you all think.....could it work if i had to feed through the welsh plugs?
Blownshotgun
Blownshotgun

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans January 28th 2013, 12:52 pm

Blownshotgun wrote:Well, what do you all think.....could it work if i had to feed through the welsh plugs?

George,

I think it will work, if your block allows water to pass between the cylinders. I do not think it will work, if your block is a siamese cylinder wall block and does not allow water to pass. I need to know more, what block are you running?

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Blownshotgun February 3rd 2013, 4:55 pm

c.evans wrote:
Blownshotgun wrote:Well, what do you all think.....could it work if i had to feed through the welsh plugs?

George,

I think it will work, if your block allows water to pass between the cylinders. I do not think it will work, if your block is a siamese cylinder wall block and does not allow water to pass. I need to know more, what block are you running?

Charlie

I hear ya Charlie, it is an A460 block......think i'll do some testing, plug a few holes & see how the water travels around.

I'd like to try feeding the water through the welsh plugs then around the cylinders & enter the heads in the intake side center of the head.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just looking at options.

Cheers, George.
Blownshotgun
Blownshotgun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down