BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

545 Build for a Bronco

2 posters

Go down

545 Build for a Bronco Empty 545 Build for a Bronco

Post  sandvipr February 2nd 2013, 8:48 am

Hi guys, I figured I'd start by asking questions before I start ordering up more parts. I've been lurking here for quite a while just absorbing knowledge, but now it's time to get serious. The engine is stripped down and I'm shopping.
Vehicle: '78 Bronco, 35's, 4.10's, 7" lift, and used mostly for sand use- both hill climbing and drag racing. Both are usually not more tham 300 ft. at a time.
The truck does get driven on the streey occasionally- not more than 50 miles in a night. I would have to guess the truck weighs in around 4800 lbs.

I want this truck to run on pump gas and I'll be hitting it with a 100/150 shot when things start to get serious on the flats. maybe 600 HP max before the NOS.
I have a new 3000 stall on the shelf I'd like to instal in here but not sure if that will be to much for the small amount of street use it will see. C6 tranny in in there right now.
I know I need forged pistons, but I want to keep the CR to 10.5 or a little less. Looking for a recommendation on this for 95 CC D3's.
Heads- cvurrently D3's. I'm starting the porting and bowl blending this afternoon. I'm up in the air on installing studs vs. keeping the pedistal rockers. I may upgrade to aluminum heads next winter, so I really don't want to spend more than I have to on these. I have seen the max cam lift I can go with the pedistal rockers and it's only 1 step up in cam size from what I'm currently running. Any recommendations on this? Can I instal the studs and roller rockers and just keep these heads? I won't be spending $4K on heads because I really won't need that much HP- ever in this thing....

I've been twisting the stock lower end to 7000 RPMs, but not on a regular basis and only in the sand. This time I plan to keep it at 6500 or less.

Planning on boring the block to +.030 and running a 4.300 crank for a 514. Does the block need to be machined at all to clearence the rotating assembly? Will it handle that HP without ripping the mains out of the block?
I'll be running h-beam rods with ARP bolts and everything will be ballanced. Is internal ballancing required on a mild build like this?

The last thing I'm up in the air on is what intake would be a good match on this build- single or dual plane? And how big of a carb?- I'm assuming a 1050 will do it.
Exhaust- L&L fenderwell headers with 3" muffs round out the package.

So- in short- Head, block, cam choice, and top end questions need to be answered or recommendations given....

Last edited by sandvipr on February 16th 2013, 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
sandvipr
sandvipr

Back to top Go down

545 Build for a Bronco Empty Re: 545 Build for a Bronco

Post  schmitty February 2nd 2013, 1:39 pm

If you are going to do a different set of heads shortly, I'd go with studs and use them on the next set of heads.
Any of the stock blocks are going to handle your goals easily, if you get the tune right.
No clearancing is going to be required for that crank, these blocks will handle a 4.75 crank without mods.
Intake is the tough one, but I'd guess either a Victor or Mafia with a 1050 would be the ticket.
Call Lem, Randy Malik, or Blake Cartwright for the cam.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  sandvipr February 16th 2013, 7:24 am

OK- the plan has changed a bit. I justpicked up a set of D0ve A heads and they just came back from the machine shop this week. I'll be starting the port work on those today.
I also am in the final stages of purchasing a 557 rotating assembly. I don't want to knock my block out quite that big, so I will settle in at a nice 545cid.
sandvipr
sandvipr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down