BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alky Hose and Fittings

+2
David Cole
John Myrick
6 posters

Go down

Alky Hose and Fittings Empty Alky Hose and Fittings

Post  John Myrick February 4th 2013, 1:02 am

What brand are you alky guys using ? Any type of special hose or fittings needed so the alky doesn't destroy them ?

Thanks
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Alky Hose and Fittings Empty Re: Alky Hose and Fittings

Post  David Cole February 4th 2013, 1:20 am

I like Aeroquip, XRP, Goodridge and Russell just because they seem easier to assemble. Just their regular braided hose is fine.

My current car has all Aeroquip for the fuel system and cooling with Russell on the trans cooler deal.

The store brands....ie...Summit and Jegs: Hose and npt to pipe thread adapters are fine. Hose ends are junk. They are thinner and don't fit well.

I DO NOT like Earls or any type of fitting that is a "cutter" type.

Don't worry about alky hurting the fittings. I consider it an old wives tale. I've been on alky for 10+ years and never a single fitting problem from it. Mine has fuel in it 9 months of the year. Drained in winter only. I also have an un-anodized aluminum fuel cell. 2 yrs with methanol in it all the time during the season and no issues. Just run a bit of top lube and everything will do just fine.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 February 4th 2013, 4:58 am

David Cole wrote:I like Aeroquip, XRP, Goodridge and Russell just because they seem easier to assemble. Just their regular braided hose is fine.

My current car has all Aeroquip for the fuel system and cooling with Russell on the trans cooler deal.

The store brands....ie...Summit and Jegs: Hose and npt to pipe thread adapters are fine. Hose ends are junk. They are thinner and don't fit well.

I DO NOT like Earls or any type of fitting that is a "cutter" type.

Don't worry about alky hurting the fittings. I consider it an old wives tale. I've been on alky for 10+ years and never a single fitting problem from it. Mine has fuel in it 9 months of the year. Drained in winter only. I also have an un-anodized aluminum fuel cell. 2 yrs with methanol in it all the time during the season and no issues. Just run a bit of top lube and everything will do just fine.

Like David says....
No special hose spec. Normal anodized fitting work just fine. I have several brands on my stuff. I like the Aeroquip crimp type, but I have access to a crimper.
The big deal is to use a good top lube, like Power Plus from Manhattan Oil (available from several places, but Summit is easy)
With the top lube, my Moon tank and fittings stay nice, and I do not drain and blow out my system, unless the car is parked for over 2 months. Untreated alky....letting it sit can be bad news.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick February 5th 2013, 9:19 am

Okay thanks for the info guys.

-John
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 5th 2013, 10:51 am

use about half of what they say on the top lube, I had better luck with the Klotz uplon...... I only used it w the carb stuff.... the injection I never used any.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 February 5th 2013, 11:00 am

I tried Klotz about 15 years ago. It seemed to do a good job, but the exhaust was real offensive. It smelled like a decomposed goat carcass on fire.
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole February 5th 2013, 11:37 am

Wheelie58 wrote:I tried Klotz about 15 years ago. It seemed to do a good job, but the exhaust was real offensive. It smelled like a decomposed goat carcass on fire.

Lol, Guess I got immune to it. It may have changed. The Klozt lube is now full synthetic. But....I'm one of the few people I know can still breath in an enclosed trailer or garage with a methanol engine running. Shocked

I just ordered some today. Been using it about 3 years. It doesn't leave a greasy film in the ports like the Power Plus did in mine. I mix it 2/3 strength. 2/3 of a qt to a drum of fuel. 2 qts will treat 3 drums for me.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 5th 2013, 11:41 am

X2 two for the Aeroquip hose ends being the bang for the buck.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 5th 2013, 11:57 am

yup the power plus always left a sticky mess in the intake, and the klotz does have a pretty bad odor.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony M February 7th 2013, 12:20 pm

John make sure the anodized fittings do not have any nicks or deep scratches down to the aluminum or the alky will eat away at the fitting just like acid.
Tony M
Tony M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down