BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is one engine limiter enough?

+3
whatbumper
richter69
jbozzelle
7 posters

Go down

Is one engine limiter enough? Empty Is one engine limiter enough?

Post  jbozzelle February 17th 2013, 11:01 pm

Is one engine limiter enough? IMG_2412_zps92a82ca6

Is one engine limiter enough? IMG_2411_zps7e864deb

Is one engine limiter enough? IMG_2410_zpsd0ffaa53

I can easily get one limiter on the pass side. The driver side will be a PITA due to the headers tucking close to the engine mount bosses...

Will the one on the pass side above be enough? I have a 1/4" front plate and a .090 mid plate.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Is one engine limiter enough? Empty Re: Is one engine limiter enough?

Post  richter69 February 17th 2013, 11:15 pm

should be fine like that
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 17th 2013, 11:36 pm

Thanks Jon. I also forgot to add that the trans is on a rubber mount and mounted to the x brace in floor. With that I probably don't need the limiter but I guess it won't hurt.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 18th 2013, 12:31 am

Yes you need the limiter. Trans mount instead is asking for case breakage.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 18th 2013, 9:05 am

the rubber mount will do little for limiting with the one mounted on the block, again I use no trans mount and my limiters are mounted where the trans mount would have been and run back to the driveshaft loop. Stock glide case, no issues in over four seasons.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 18th 2013, 9:21 am

Jon, I replace them frequently for people who do the same or similar to you. I guess you're lucky.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 18th 2013, 10:44 am

I have seen some people get away with using only 1 limiter total (on one side of the engine) before. And others with the same single limiter setup that ended up with some strange looking damage. The damage was minor, (but even "minor" damage is still damage) there was slight bending/twisting of the motor plate & mid plate (especially with a thin steel mid plate) and/or constantly bending the limiter's rod-end bolts that were mounted in single sheer. My guess is the diagonally mounted single limiter was fighting the 'plates & trying to push/pull the engine & trans to one side during launch (in effect trying to "swinging it" to one side on the diagonally mounted single limiter's arc).

Because of this IMO any setup that dictates that a limiter be mounted at a decent diagonal angle to the car's nose/tail centerline (instead of inline with the launch forces) like a lot of wide spaced factory front frame rails call for, then you're better off using 2 limiters (one each side of the engine). Especially if the rod-end bolts are mounted in single sheer.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 18th 2013, 12:12 pm

I'll see what I can stick on the driver's side. All 4 header tubes bend in toward the block. All 4 run between the steering shaft and block leaving almost no access to the engine mount bolt bosses...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 18th 2013, 12:32 pm

whatbumper wrote:Jon, I replace them frequently for people who do the same or similar to you. I guess you're lucky.

just what Duffy told me and does on every car he does, says its more important to do it this way on a stock case............to each his own I guess, my car is a stiff sob.

and by all means use 2 limiters if possible, not same one is better than 2, but if 2 is impossible it will "work".
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 18th 2013, 1:40 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:I have seen some people get away with using only 1 limiter total (on one side of the engine) before. And others with the same single limiter setup that ended up with some strange looking damage. The damage was minor, (but even "minor" damage is still damage) there was slight bending/twisting of the motor plate & mid plate (especially with a thin steel mid plate) and/or constantly bending the limiter's rod-end bolts that were mounted in single sheer. My guess is the diagonally mounted single limiter was fighting the 'plates & trying to push/pull the engine & trans to one side during launch (in effect trying to "swinging it" to one side on the diagonally mounted single limiter's arc).

Because of this IMO any setup that dictates that a limiter be mounted at a decent diagonal angle to the car's nose/tail centerline (instead of inline with the launch forces) like a lot of wide spaced factory front frame rails call for, then you're better off using 2 limiters (one each side of the engine). Especially if the rod-end bolts are mounted in single sheer.

So I would be better off fabbing a plate to bolt to the mount holes and welding tabs to make it double shear? Same for up front - weld some tabs to make it double shear? I think I can make a plate to bolt to the holes on the driver side and have the plate run far enough forward to allow the limiter to run unobstructed to the frame.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 18th 2013, 8:47 pm

jbozzelle wrote:So I would be better off fabbing a plate to bolt to the mount holes and welding tabs to make it double shear?.........
Regardless of the situation mounting any bolt in double sheer is always a better choice (strength wise) than mounting it in single sheer. But there will always be a few situations where double sheer either can't be done, or is harder to do vs the easier single sheer. If you have room/can do double sheer mounting, then use it. If not then keep an eye on the single sheer assembly just in case something does start to bend.

When it comes to limiters mounted in single sheer, I have seen situations where even paired limiters (one each side) still ended up bending the single sheer mounted bolts (and/or the single bracket) a little over time. Even though theoretically the two limiters should each only see about half the loading a single limiter would see on it's own).

One way around having to add a second bracket/double bracket to put a limiter's rod-end/bolt assembly in double sheer is to do away with the rod-end all together and use a clevis end (weld in or threaded) instead. Of course using a clevis end instead of rod-ends is only possible if each of the single mounting brackets can be pointed directly at eachother (no centerline misalignment).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole February 18th 2013, 9:46 pm

Couple of pics of mine from the mockup. Instead of bolting the limiters directly to the block mounting holes I have a plate on each side that extends the mounting point forward. Something like this might work to clear the exhaust on your drivers side.

Is one engine limiter enough? Steering

The other end:
Is one engine limiter enough? Platemount2
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 18th 2013, 10:13 pm

Thanks guys. David Cole - is that 1/4" plate?

I plan to make a plate for both sides and weld a clevis or tabs to it as well as a clevis up front as well. The angle of the limiter won't allow me to tighten the nut without getting up into the rod end body. The clevises will clean that up.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 18th 2013, 10:37 pm

3/16 is plenty
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 18th 2013, 10:38 pm

Cool

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole February 18th 2013, 11:56 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Thanks guys. David Cole - is that 1/4" plate?

I plan to make a plate for both sides and weld a clevis or tabs to it as well as a clevis up front as well. The angle of the limiter won't allow me to tighten the nut without getting up into the rod end body. The clevises will clean that up.

It's 3/16
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich Osmond March 13th 2013, 12:04 pm

I run one on each side to prevent the engine from moving along the arc of a single limiter. One is acceptable (IMO) if it is installed on the same plane or parallel with the crankshaft.

Rich Osmond

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 March 16th 2013, 11:05 am

jbozzelle wrote:Is one engine limiter enough? IMG_2412_zps92a82ca6

Is one engine limiter enough? IMG_2411_zps7e864deb

Is one engine limiter enough? IMG_2410_zpsd0ffaa53

I can easily get one limiter on the pass side. The driver side will be a PITA due to the headers tucking close to the engine mount bosses...

Will the one on the pass side above be enough? I have a 1/4" front plate and a .090 mid plate.

Should always use 2
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 16th 2013, 11:09 am

Ill be making some plates to bolt onto the engine mount bosses and will weld a clevis to it and the chassis. Haven't been able to work on the car though. Too much other stuff going on.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down