BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel cell in a wagon

3 posters

Go down

Fuel cell in a wagon Empty Fuel cell in a wagon

Post  Mike R April 9th 2013, 8:20 pm

I'm going to mount my fuel cell under the floor in a sheet metal box to protect it with an aluminum door to cover it and for access. I will be cutting out the rear floor and will have to build a tubing frame work to attach and support it. Can I use 1x1 tubing to make the framework or do I need to go bigger and what gauge tubing should I use?

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Fuel cell in a wagon Empty Re: Fuel cell in a wagon

Post  61coon April 9th 2013, 10:36 pm

I used 3/4" tubing for the framework around my fuel cell. Its .062 wall thickness. 1x1 will work just fine.
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 10th 2013, 12:53 am

If we're just talking about supporting a fuel cell's weight from the bottom, IMO it can depend on the size of the cell. In the past on smaller 3 to 5 gallon fuel cells (that were either front mounted, or 100% above the trunk floor) I have used either 1/2" x .065" steel tube, or 1" x 1/8" aluminum strip, or 1" x .083 or .065" (forget which) steel strip to support the bottoms. And once used 1" x 1" square tubing to support the bottom of a bigger 12 gallon cell. The 1"x 1" tubing was probably overkill for the 12 gallon cell's weight, 3/4" x 3/4" would have probably been OK.

If we're talking about protecting the fuel cell the rule book says if it's outside the body and/or frame structure you need a guard made of at least 1 1/4" od x .058 cm/.118" ms wall tube. And if any part of the cell is outside the body lines or trunk floor it needs a box around that part to protect it.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R April 10th 2013, 8:14 pm

If we're talking about protecting the fuel cell the rule book says if it's outside the body and/or frame structure you need a guard made of at least 1 1/4" od x .058 cm/.118" ms wall tube. And if any part of the cell is outside the body lines or trunk floor it needs a box around that part to protect it.

Ok, do I have to use round tubing or can I use square instead and what size and thickness would I need? I'd prefer to use square because I have it on hand and it will make attaching the new floor and the safety box easier to mount. Or am I better off mounting it above the floor and building a fire wall around it? I'd rather mount it where the spare tire well is and keep the floor flat if I can.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 11th 2013, 6:47 am

Man that's hard to say what to do one way or the other, 1-1/2" square tube would be technically as big/bigger than 1-1/2 OD round tubing. But that's a lot of extra weight added if you use it to build a framework surrounding the entire cell to hang sheet aluminum off of. I have never wanted to (or need to) put a fuel cell 100% under the rear frame/trunk floor "out in the breeze" since that would usually kill way too much wheelie bar room under a lot of cars. It would also make the fuel cell a lot harder to hide from view outside the body lines when viewed from the side/behind the car, especially a big cell.

What if you raised the cell up some so it's somewhere around 1/2 way in/out of the trunk so it's technically "surrounded" (protected) on 3 sides by the right & left main frame rails, and the rear most crossmember. Then build a raised flat rear floor/bulkhead/deck surface to separate the fuel cell/vents/lines from the rest of the driver compartment. That way you could make the actual cell mounts out of much smaller tubing or strip material. And then just build a simple aluminum box (without a big steel supporting frame) to shield whatever amount of the cell sits below the floor.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down