BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front mouunt fuel cell

+2
richter69
dr's wife racing
6 posters

Go down

Front mouunt fuel cell Empty Front mouunt fuel cell

Post  dr's wife racing November 25th 2009, 12:44 pm

Does anyone have a front mount fuel cell in a stock front chassie fox body.I'm going to a ron's alcohol set up and looking for for ideas for fuel cell rad. placement ect any ideas Thanks Ward. Idea
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Front mouunt fuel cell Empty Re: Front mouunt fuel cell

Post  richter69 November 25th 2009, 1:42 pm

I'm gonna stick one on my brothers 81, its a smallblock deal with the motor set back so room is not a proble. We're also using a rad thats 1/2 the width of a regular one.

Your best bet is to use a surge tank fed from the rear cell, they are compact and can be made to fit anywhere, trouble is it adds weight.

All this is another reason I'm sticking with the carb..............feed it from the rear.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Front mouunt fuel cell Empty FUEL CELL

Post  dr's wife racing November 25th 2009, 2:54 pm

I hope to get by with out a surg tank so i can use my existing fuel cell pump lines ect. for my primer plus and nos systems.I may have to go with a small rad. and move it way forward. Ward
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 25th 2009, 6:26 pm

You need one of them real small cheap fuel pumps for the PP, the big pumps wont work right.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dagwood November 25th 2009, 7:35 pm

Here was my setup

Front mouunt fuel cell P1000439
Dagwood
Dagwood

Back to top Go down

Front mouunt fuel cell Empty fuel cell

Post  dr's wife racing November 25th 2009, 8:49 pm

Thats what I'm looking for! What cell and rad. is that?
Richter I have a bg 400 with the built in by-pass I run it to dead head regulators I can cut it down to about 3 lbs up front and let it by-pass in the back.If you don't think that will work, I could run a second line from my rear cell and use the cheap pump that came with the toilet/ primer .I want to hang on to the rear cell for gas to run my nos on as I have no plan of doing away with it. Ward
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE November 25th 2009, 9:45 pm

Rick's setup is pretty much the same fuel cell placement I'm going to use in the Maverick.

Originally I had thought about placing it centered in front of the radiator wedged in just behind the grill. But I didn't want to deal with making a fuel cell guard to protect it. And besides placing it behind the radiator off to the left side isn't going to be a problem with my setup cuz the engine is set back some giving me some extra room to work with.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Front mouunt fuel cell Empty cell

Post  dr's wife racing November 26th 2009, 9:45 am

My car looks alot like Ricks wellI guess because they are the same car eng. combo.I have some room but it is tight.I would like to know which cell and rad that is because it looks like it would work fine in my car.I'm going to have to buy a front cell and a rad.,my rad is a huge double pass set up. I won't be needing that on alky. Ward
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon November 26th 2009, 10:05 am

dr's wife racing wrote:Does anyone have a front mount fuel cell in a stock front chassie fox body.I'm going to a ron's alcohol set up and looking for for ideas for fuel cell rad. placement ect any ideas Thanks Ward. Idea

Sorry no help on location. Just a reminder what ever fuel cell you pick out make sure the foam in the fuel cell is compatable for alky use.
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs November 26th 2009, 10:08 am

Looks like a Jaz 1.5 gallon Pro Stock cell. They are SFI certified and a little pricy, but a nice piece. Not sure whose radiator that is, however...
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing November 26th 2009, 10:58 am

If it is only 1.5 gal. I'm not sure if it will be big enough for what I need
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs November 26th 2009, 11:08 am

dr's wife racing wrote:If it is only 1.5 gal. I'm not sure if it will be big enough for what I need

How much fuel are you using? If you are driving to the staging lanes and driving back to the pits after a pass, then it probably isn't large enough. If you tow up and back then it should be more than adequate. I use one just like it and have yet to ever run out of fuel. Jaz does make a 2 gallon cell as well, if you want larger than that in a stock body configuration, I would rethink putting it up front. Just my $.02...
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dagwood November 26th 2009, 12:15 pm

The fuel cell was a five gal. JAZ cell and I dont remember the part number for the radiator but it came from Motor State Distribution (Lane Automotive).
The rad. needs to be either a Ch**y outlet style or or both on the passenger side to work right. I had the Ford style and it was a pain getting the bottom rad hose on. The rad was plenty big enough with the alky set up, It never got over 170 degrees after a run.
Dagwood
Dagwood

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing November 26th 2009, 12:23 pm

To be honest I don,t know alot about what to expect as far as fuel use [alky] I have never used alcohol. David Cole used the system I have and suggested I have no less than 3 gal to use.I have alot of respect for his thoughts.You seem to know alot about this so here it goes,What I have is a fox body with a 514. I mainly run 6.00 heads up shouid run this on motor alone with my new up dates.Was a little shy on gas with carb with out useing nos.There are also some tracks that do a heads true heads up that I like to play at.So I'll be keeping nos.I race by myself most of the time so if it moves I drive it.I like Fabios idea of a sump tank up front using the rear for main storage but I have all of my nos plumbing already set up.[pro fogger and cheater]from a cost stand point I want to keep that. I don't mind cutting triming building ect to get what ever I need my main cocern is that it is safe and it works.I know that is alot of info. but what do you think? Ward
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 26th 2009, 12:43 pm

Use a 4 gal cell up front, toss the foam. If you do a surge tank just use a Holley black to suppy it. Bad thing is with all that is the cost.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing November 27th 2009, 10:58 am

I foud a 4 gal 9 by 9 that will fit just fine.I'm thinking of moving the forward of the orig. core support for extra room. Ward
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 27th 2009, 11:26 am

If the cell is not behind the frame you'll need a 1 1/4" bar wrapped around the front of it per NHRA.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down