BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear disc conversion

+2
69F100
goinpostal
6 posters

Go down

Rear disc conversion Empty Rear disc conversion

Post  goinpostal April 21st 2013, 3:27 pm

I've been thinking about replacing the rear drums with disc brakes. I'm looking at this kit for a budget conversion.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Right-Stuff/965/ZDCRDM1/10002/-1

Have any of you ever used it? Or at least that brand? I'm not really worried about weight, and I haven't seen anything else come close to the price.
goinpostal
goinpostal

Back to top Go down

Rear disc conversion Empty Re: Rear disc conversion

Post  69F100 April 21st 2013, 8:08 pm

Looks like a good deal to me if you need everything but make sure your axles will work with them when i ordered my axle he asked if i had drum or disc brake they are different as how far the flang sticks out past the bearing housng
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jrocco April 22nd 2013, 11:06 am

Just received this kit from Tom's Classic. Nice parts and everything you need including e brakes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230573790105?item=230573790105&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr

They have kits for all bearing styles so check your bearing housing before ordering.
jrocco
jrocco

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power April 22nd 2013, 12:18 pm

I have seen where a guy took a rear disc brake setup off an explorer with a 8.8 and make it work on a 9". I'm planning on doing the same for mine eventually. You mentioned you aren't concerned with weight and you also mentioned you wanted something budget friendly so I thought I'd let you know. Looks pretty cool, and I believe the explorer bolt pattern is 5x4.5. I think this was the thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569272
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky April 22nd 2013, 8:09 pm

bb429power wrote:I have seen where a guy took a rear disc brake setup off an explorer with a 8.8 and make it work on a 9". I'm planning on doing the same for mine eventually. You mentioned you aren't concerned with weight and you also mentioned you wanted something budget friendly so I thought I'd let you know. Looks pretty cool, and I believe the explorer bolt pattern is 5x4.5. I think this was the thread:

I did this on my car. You need to have the large ford housing ends(Torino), axle offset is 2 1/2". I did not mess with the e-brake.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power April 22nd 2013, 9:12 pm

Mustang-junky wrote:
bb429power wrote:I have seen where a guy took a rear disc brake setup off an explorer with a 8.8 and make it work on a 9". I'm planning on doing the same for mine eventually. You mentioned you aren't concerned with weight and you also mentioned you wanted something budget friendly so I thought I'd let you know. Looks pretty cool, and I believe the explorer bolt pattern is 5x4.5. I think this was the thread:

I did this on my car. You need to have the large ford housing ends(Torino), axle offset is 2 1/2". I did not mess with the e-brake.

Jess
Good to know, I'll remember that and measure my offset.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  goinpostal April 27th 2013, 7:36 pm

Well, the cheap kits I was looking at won't work for me. It seems the cheap ones are for big bearing ends, so of course I have the small ends.

For whatever reason the small bearing kits are a hundred dollars more. At that point it wasn't that much more to get the Strange S Series brake kit. I went ahead and picked up a Strange master cylinder as well. Unfortunately the brake kit won't ship till the 6th.

I also picked up some nickel copper brake line. I was kicking around the idea of getting some Earls Speed-Flex lines, but I wasn't sure how well it works and my wallet was already screaming at me.
goinpostal
goinpostal

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow May 7th 2013, 3:09 pm

FWIW, a rear disc conversion for small bearing 8", 9" or 9 3/8" housings can be sourced quite inexpensively from a '98-'02 Crown Vic. With all new parts I have about $300 in my rear disc conversion, which includes new calipers, brake pads and e-brake shoes, caliper brake hoses, master cylinder, proportioning valve and a set of new wheel bearings installed with appropriate spacer. For large bearing housings, a Ford Explorer can be used as the rear disc conversion parts donor vehicle.

Last edited by aquartlow on May 7th 2013, 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : additional info)
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down