What are these connecting rods?

Go down

What are these connecting rods?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 12th 2013, 10:44 pm

I have a customer who gave me a set of rods to use in his engine; new but, old stock.

They are forged I-beam type with no markings of any kind and look just like a Ford rod except a little beefier around the big end ... stock pressed pin size, big block Ford bearing size and here is the kicker ... they have ARP 7/16" Wave-Loc through bolts which are Chevrolet L-88 replacements with 12 point nuts.
weights are; big end = 589g, small end = 216g.

Who made these rods ... where did they come from...?

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5129
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  dfree383 on June 12th 2013, 10:51 pm

Eagle SIR's?
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14151
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 12th 2013, 10:53 pm

dfree383 wrote:Eagle SIR's?


SIR's listing says those rods have 3/8" bolts.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5129
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  dfree383 on June 12th 2013, 10:54 pm

I've got a set with 7/16 bolts
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14151
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 12th 2013, 11:11 pm

dfree383 wrote:I've got a set with 7/16 bolts


The EAGLE catalogs I have must be giving wrong information.

It says that some SIR rods had 3/8" Wave-Loc through bolts and some SIR rods have 7/16" CAPSCREW type bolts with alignment sleeves for easier assembly.

In the 429 & 460 listing it only shows those SIR rods available with the CAPSCREW-style bolts in both bushed and press fit.

Their catalog photos look nothing like these rods around the big end.

Being that these are new, old stock, they may have come like this some time in the past.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5129
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  Frank Merkl on June 13th 2013, 12:54 am

post a pic
 Frank
avatar
Frank Merkl

Posts : 1449
Join date : 2008-12-17
Age : 62
Location : Brooks ,Alberta ,Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  dfree383 on June 13th 2013, 1:42 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:I've got a set with 7/16 bolts






The EAGLE catalogs I have must be giving wrong information.

It says that some SIR rods had 3/8" Wave-Loc through bolts and some SIR rods have 7/16" CAPSCREW type bolts with alignment sleeves for easier assembly.

In the 429 & 460 listing it only shows those SIR rods available with the CAPSCREW-style bolts in both bushed and press fit.

Their catalog photos look nothing like these rods around the big end.

Being that these are new, old stock, they may have come like this some time in the past.



Probably right, the set I have on the shelf are probably 5-7 years old. They remind me of a LS6 / L88 rod, but have Ford dimensions.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14151
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 13th 2013, 8:54 am

dfree383 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:I've got a set with 7/16 bolts








The EAGLE catalogs I have must be giving wrong information.

It says that some SIR rods had 3/8" Wave-Loc through bolts and some SIR rods have 7/16" CAPSCREW type bolts with alignment sleeves for easier assembly.

In the 429 & 460 listing it only shows those SIR rods available with the CAPSCREW-style bolts in both bushed and press fit.

Their catalog photos look nothing like these rods around the big end.

Being that these are new, old stock, they may have come like this some time in the past.





Probably right, the set I have on the shelf are probably 5-7 years old. They remind me of a LS6 / L88 rod, but have Ford dimensions.

That is almost exactly what they look like on the big end and look like 429/460 rods from the beam up.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5129
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 13th 2013, 8:55 am

Frank Merkl wrote:post a pic
 Frank

I don't have a photo. They are already balanced and in the engine.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5129
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  Paul Kane on June 13th 2013, 12:03 pm

Do you mean OEM BBF configuration but the bearing cap is a double-ribbed cap?  Or more of an embossment like the Scat 6.700 I-beam's cap?  I have seen Eagle SIRs both with thru-bolts (earlier) and also with 7/16" cap screws (later). I cannot recall what size thru-bolt was used on the earlier rods.

You may recall that Eagle blew out their non-bushed SIRs a several years ago--those had the thru-bolts. When Eagle relased the next production run of the SIRs they had the 7/16" cap screws.

For a while there were similar looking rods out there but I haven't used them, sold under Legend, RPM, etc.

Paul
avatar
Paul Kane

Posts : 820
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 13th 2013, 2:01 pm

Paul Kane wrote:Do you mean OEM BBF configuration but the bearing cap is a double-ribbed cap?  Or more of an embossment like the Scat 6.700 I-beam's cap?  I have seen Eagle SIRs both with thru-bolts (earlier) and also with 7/16" cap screws (later). I cannot recall what size thru-bolt was used on the earlier rods.

You may recall that Eagle blew out their non-bushed SIRs a several years ago--those had the thru-bolts. When Eagle relased the next production run of the SIRs they had the 7/16" cap screws.

For a while there were similar looking rods out there but I haven't used them, sold under Legend, RPM, etc.

Paul



Well, the customer brought them to me so, I have no responsibility for their quality, only that they got balanced with the assembly and installed correctly.

They measured fine and I was curious to know who or how they were made The SIR rods were always 5140 steel. If they came with 7/16" through bolts in the past, that is most likely what they are.
They did have a double ribbed cap; looking just like a Chevrolet.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5129
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are these connecting rods?

Post  DJStang on June 14th 2013, 9:49 am

I have a old set of the Eagle SIR rods with thrubolts (non bushed pin) that sound similar to what you are describing.  I bought them about 8 years ago on a sale for $150 and they are still running in the engine, so i don't have any pictures of them.

DJStang

Posts : 53
Join date : 2009-09-30
Location : Jupiter, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum