BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alignment Or K-Member ?

5 posters

Go down

Alignment Or K-Member ? Empty Alignment Or K-Member ?

Post  colormebad June 30th 2013, 4:58 pm

I never paid attention if the driver tire was out more than the pass tire, Till after the alignment...Could this be a K-member problem? The driver tire is out a good bit more than the pass & is it normal for the driver side to be in that much more at the bottom, Than the pass?

Alignment Or K-Member ? 2012_0104TireCheck0022_zpsadcc55d8

Alignment Or K-Member ? 2012_0104TireCheck0021_zps742da299

Alignment Or K-Member ? 2012_0104TireCheck0020_zpsb11ec134

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Alignment Or K-Member ? Empty Re: Alignment Or K-Member ?

Post  maverick June 30th 2013, 9:02 pm

As long as the car drives & handles ok, and doesn't eat tires, I wouldn't sweat it...especially with the suspension hanging. A lot of things could make it look that way. Camber adjustment, chassis squareness (or not so square), K-member, how body panels are hung, and on and on. Most front ends look a little out of whack when hanging anyway.

This reminds me of a friend's racecar. He was bothered by the fact that one slick stuck out the side of his roadster a little farther than the other when the rear suspension was correctly setup in the chassis. The car would launch and run beautifully UNTIL he VISUALLY centered the rear end. I told him to either quit looking at it or re-hang the body.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad June 30th 2013, 9:20 pm

maverick wrote:As long as the car drives & handles ok, and doesn't eat tires, I wouldn't sweat it...especially with the suspension hanging.  A lot of things could make it look that way.  Camber adjustment, chassis squareness (or not so square), K-member, how body panels are hung, and on and on.  Most front ends look a little out of whack when hanging anyway.

This reminds me of a friend's racecar.  He was bothered by the fact that one slick stuck out the side of his roadster a little farther than the other when the rear suspension was correctly setup in the chassis.  The car would launch and run beautifully UNTIL he VISUALLY centered the rear end.  I told him to either quit looking at it or re-hang the body.

I just measured from the frame to center grease balljoint on A-Arm...11 1/2 on drivers....11" on passenger...

Their is no adj on these when installing...You have 3 round holes and 1 thats not where it mounts to frame..
They could have sent me a 96 up insted of a 95, not sure..I know the guy that just aligned the car , he moved the c-c plate all the way over toward the drivers side as far as it would go..

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 30th 2013, 10:48 pm

If it makes you feel better slide the entire k-member over 1/4". Might have to check your alignment again though but it's no big issue.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad June 30th 2013, 11:06 pm

whatbumper wrote:If it makes you feel better slide the entire k-member over 1/4".  Might have to check your alignment again though but it's no big issue.

I think i will leave it ..I will be testing nextweekend if i get my brake problem solved & don't have time to do all this , if you dont think it will matter...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 30th 2013, 11:39 pm

i think the spindle on a fox,79-93,aint the same offset as sn95 up. i could be wrong too Surprised 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 1st 2013, 12:02 am

cool40 wrote:i think the spindle on a fox,79-93,aint the same offset as sn95 up. i could be wrong too Surprised 

Your right...I have them both and they are different

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield July 1st 2013, 7:21 am

colormebad wrote:
cool40 wrote:i think the spindle on a fox,79-93,aint the same offset as sn95 up. i could be wrong too Surprised 

Your right...I have them both and they are different

You can use either spindle on either sn95 or fox . I have done this on both sn95 and fox with no problems . I would check on a frame machine and see if it is out there . Then check K member alignment and fender or sheet metal alignment. Good luck!
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 1st 2013, 9:58 am

The more i look at it' Im thinking it may be more a fender/bumper combo...I went back and hung a plumbob down from the frame' and its only 3/8ths off from one side to the other...Hard to beleive the K-member is throwing it off that bad...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 1st 2013, 7:18 pm

What a-frame and k-member setup? The frame on those cars aint much in front of the strut towers but if it had much problem the hood would'nt fit.cross measure it on the fender bolts and you'll know if its square.while your at it check the wheelbase. Wink 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 1st 2013, 11:17 pm

cool40 wrote:What a-frame and k-member setup? The frame on those cars aint much in front of the strut towers but if it had much problem the hood would'nt fit.cross measure it on the fender bolts and you'll know if its square.while your at it check the wheelbase. Wink 

Everything has checked out so far except the K-member where it bolts to the underframe...1 side runs along the frame perfect, other side starts out ok then goes about 3/8 or more off the frame...

Had it lined up...Think i could just swap to these tires below and would be a easier fix ?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompson/672/3009/10002/-1?parentProductId=746883

I have the goodyear front runners on it which are 27 tall but 8" from side to side..the sides stick out like a slick..The ones in the link above are an 1" narrow..

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down